Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

satu
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 1:33 pm

I'm new to this forum so I wanted to say hello before I start to look further around. I do have Asperger's, was diagnosed only two years ago when I had already finished school and started studying at university. Actually I had been looking for a neurologist who is familiar with Asperger's myself because I suspected that I have it, which was then confirmed. It would have been very helpful if it had been diagnosed earlier, though, but as I've been living in a backwater as a child no one there ever thought about anything actually wrong with me except for being "just weird" (and I bet no doctor around there has ever heard of it).
I've never in my life met another person with Asperger's and that's why I'm here. Read about your experiences and everything.
Well, as I don't know what else to say, that's it. Hope I'll get to read a lot of interesting stuff and maybe I can be of some help sometimes myself.

Keimeren
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

23 Jun 2011, 1:55 pm

hello there,

I was diagnosed a week ago, there is a lot of information in these forums and also a lot of people in the chat section you can meet and talk too you may be surprised how many people there are near you.

Welcome to the wonderful world of WrongPlanet

chippie130
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 2:07 pm

Welcome to the coven :) I only joined WP yesterday, so I'm new to this too. I am 50 and was diagnosed 10 days before my 48th birthday March 2009 by S. B-C here in Cambridge. All the diagnosis has done for me is to answer so many questions I had about me and expand the n
number of "friends" I have.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:09 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet, satu!

You've come to the right place, hope you enjoy your stay here :)

catlover02
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

23 Jun 2011, 2:25 pm

Welcome to Wrongplanet. I have Asperger's Syndrome too.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:28 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

aDelicateBalance
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 2:30 pm

I also grew up in a backwater kind of place. A little village of about 3,000 people, where it seemed like everyone knew everyone and everyone seems kind of weird. I also was not diagnosed until I sought out explanations for myself, long after I had left school. I had a friend in high school who showed much clearer signs of aspergers than I did/do and yet he was just looked at as reticent and difficult. Funny thing was, both he and I had earned discounts on tuition fees due to excellent entrance exam results. We both ended up virtually flunking out of high school altogether - by final exams we were adrift.

I wonder what difference it might have made if I had been diagnosed as a child. Strangely, my mother was a classroom assistant who worked with children with autism, but I was "fortunate" for many years to be high-functioning enough to get by without evidence of learning difficulties. The downside being that when problems did start to arise nobody noticed and I had no idea what it was that seemed to encourage people to make fun of me.

satu
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 4:43 pm

aDelicateBalance wrote:
I also grew up in a backwater kind of place. A little village of about 3,000 people, where it seemed like everyone knew everyone and everyone seems kind of weird.

My village had only 800 inhabitants... just terrible... I moved to a city with a few million inhabitants by now, probably to compensate. I don't like it if everyone knows everyone. Just do a few embarrassing things and people laugh at you forever. Here in the city you can be as embarrassing as you want and the next day you enter the subway there won't be the same people and thus no one will remember you anyway... I love that! :lol:

aDelicateBalance
Butterfly
Butterfly

24 Jun 2011, 10:13 am

satu wrote:
I moved to a city with a few million inhabitants by now, probably to compensate.

Yeah, I now live in the 5th largest city in North America. The first apartment I lived in here was on the 33rd floor of one of a pair of 44 storey buildings. Previous to that I had always lived on the ground or 1st floor. You could look up on a foggy day from the street and not be able to see the top of the building. From the window you couldn't see the street below. I don't know how many people lived in those two buildings, but I think it must have been close to the same number of people as lived in my entire village.

satu wrote:
I don't like it if everyone knows everyone. Just do a few embarrassing things and people laugh at you forever.

My Dad used to be the chairman of the village council for a while and was a teacher in a school in a slightly larger town where everyone from around the area (except me) ended up going to high school. Not only did "everyone know everyone" but they especially knew my Dad. I didn't have to do anything for people to laugh at me forever.

satu wrote:
Here in the city you can be as embarrassing as you want and the next day you enter the subway there won't be the same people and thus no one will remember you anyway... I love that!

I sometimes wonder how many people I have seen more than once on the subway, but just wouldn't realise it. I do (mostly) like that a trip on the subway or bus is a smorgasbord of languages, facial features, dress styles, demeanors, etc.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jun 2011, 11:41 pm

Welkome to WrongPlanet. :)

The WP Kink

satu
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Jun 2011, 1:59 pm

aDelicateBalance wrote:
satu wrote:
I don't like it if everyone knows everyone. Just do a few embarrassing things and people laugh at you forever.

My Dad used to be the chairman of the village council for a while and was a teacher in a school in a slightly larger town where everyone from around the area (except me) ended up going to high school. Not only did "everyone know everyone" but they especially knew my Dad. I didn't have to do anything for people to laugh at me forever.

Maybe a stupid question, sorry, but what is a village council? Is that something official? What do people do there? This word makes me think of bronze age tribes and such things and I can't really imagine what it is used for today.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 7:56 am

Welcome!