Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

aDelicateBalance
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 12:14 pm

As the name says, I am A Delicate Balance.

I'm 27, living in Toronto, Canada with my wife, 2 cats, 2 bearded dragons and a fiery-shouldered conure. I was diagnosed aspergic October 2010, although I had wondered for some time before then if a diagnosis might be appropriate. I have also been diagnosed with ADHD and struggle with bouts of severe depression.

I was born in rural England and spent my first 19 years there. I was bullied in high school, although still made it into university to study computer science, but dropped out before completing the first year. Then I met the woman who is now my wife on an Internet forum and moved to Canada to be with her. We have been married almost 8 years and have been through all sorts of things, although having children is not one of them and pretty much certainly won't be.

I have done a few different jobs and started studying various subjects at university level, but am currently unemployed and trying to work out what I should be studying for the upcoming year. Right now I'm thinking I'll hopefully be able to re-take Linguistics 1000, which I need in order to continue down the path to a cognitive science degree.

I've read a couple of long threads right through in the last week or so and felt that it was time I posted something.

As a quick end note - when I was being bullied in school, about age 11, I started telling people I came from Jupiter in an effort to get them to leave me alone (I suppose). I had no idea about aspergers at that time, but... Wrong Planet indeed! Now I'm off to get some lunch and pick up my latest prescription.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:27 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

aDelicateBalance
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 2:41 pm

Thank you, Monsieur or Madame AnonymousAnonymous.

I haven't read the book, but the film of Fight Club is up there near the top of my list of great movies. I don't buy many DVDs or Blu-Rays but recently got Fight Club on BD, even though we already had a copy on DVD. I'll never forget the first time I saw it and the Pixies track "Where Is My Mind" played as the end credits rolled. Well, that and at least a half-dozen great quotes.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:45 pm

You say you're from Jupiter? Hah, that's nothing, I'm from a different galaxy...I think...

Welcome to WrongPlanet, hope you enjoy your stay here ;)

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 2:46 pm

Hello there and welcome to WP. :)

aDelicateBalance
Butterfly
Butterfly

23 Jun 2011, 3:15 pm

@TenPencePiece: I declared I was Jupiterian. It did seem to help for a while. I've also been known to say that I felt I was born 1000 years too early. That might have been after reading Arthur C. Clarke's 3001: The Final Odyssey. As for another galaxy... would that be a galaxy far, far away? I was a huge Star Wars fan for quite a while - very much wished that I could have been a Jedi Knight. Then I discovered Iain M. Banks and started wishing instead that I could have been born into/swept up by The Culture. Ah, dreams!

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

Welcome!