Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

EvilMonkey2007
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

29 Jun 2011, 12:56 am

Hi everyone,
I'm not new, but I haven't been around for a while.
I'm planning to move to Ireland in a couple of months and I was wondering how is the situation there.
Are there associations? Those associations actually help people?
I would also appreciate if any irish aspie would tell me how the life is there for him/her.
I have no one else to ask, because I don't know no one in Ireland.
Thanks

Evil Monkey

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 2:26 pm

Why are you moving to Ireland if you don't know anyone there? Unless you have family there it seems a bit of a strange idea - plus, Ireland is in a huge mess at the moment financially, with a lot of Irishmen leaving the country (often to the US) to find work.

The situation is probably rather like what pertains in much of the UK, but on a much smaller and more rural level. There will probably be some decent associations in the larger cities and some charities, but not much outside them.

Try searching for forum threads about Asperger's/autism support in Ireland (and also depending where you will be. We do have quite a few Irish members here, so they might drop in as it were.

EvilMonkey2007

29 Jun 2011, 4:28 pm

Tequila wrote:
Why are you moving to Ireland if you don't know anyone there? Unless you have family there it seems a bit of a strange idea - plus, Ireland is in a huge mess at the moment financially, with a lot of Irishmen leaving the country (often to the US) to find work.

The situation is probably rather like what pertains in much of the UK, but on a much smaller and more rural level. There will probably be some decent associations in the larger cities and some charities, but not much outside them.

Try searching for forum threads about Asperger's/autism support in Ireland (and also depending where you will be. We do have quite a few Irish members here, so they might drop in as it were.

I've been told that Ireland is a big mess, although the IT area is paying good salaries and it's quite stable.

Tequila
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

You know what I suggest? Go and have a good look at boards.ie - it's the biggest forum in Ireland and very busy. Search to your heart's content there- I'm sure there have been a lot of members posting similar questions.

I think being Argentine may have more of a bearing than being Asperger's, myself. Go and look at Boards.ie though.

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

30 Jun 2011, 7:55 am

Welcome!

Kookygirl
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

02 Jul 2011, 4:19 am

Which part of Ireland are you moving to? Northern Ireland is part of UK and is not in the financial mess the republic of Ireland is. They would both also have different laws and organizations (and currencies).

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Jul 2011, 3:51 pm

Welkome to WrongPlanet. :)

The WP Kink

EvilMonkey2007

11 Sep 2011, 2:05 pm

Kookygirl wrote:
Which part of Ireland are you moving to? Northern Ireland is part of UK and is not in the financial mess the republic of Ireland is. They would both also have different laws and organizations (and currencies).

I'm moving to the Republic Of Ireland. To Dublin or near Dublin... I'm well aware of the differences. Thanks for interest, though. :)

freesia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Sep 2011, 3:14 pm

Hi, just to let you know there is an organisation in Ireland called Aspire - Asperger Syndrome Association of Ireland.
You can check out their website. Hope this is of some help to you.

EvilMonkey2007

11 Sep 2011, 3:20 pm

freesia wrote:
Hi, just to let you know there is an organisation in Ireland called Aspire - Asperger Syndrome Association of Ireland.
You can check out their website. Hope this is of some help to you.

Thanks!! ! :D