Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

rauschenberg232
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Dec 2006, 1:44 am

hi. i have much the same story as many introductions i've read on here, i have always been considered a little odd, and kind of thought there was something wrong with me. i've always just sort of stumbled through (literally as well as metaphorically a good portion of the time) as best i could hoping one day i would figure out this secret set of rules that everyone else seemed to just know. i have yet to suss the rule sheet, but a few weeks ago my roommate made an offhand comment that started me on my way here. i was watching a friend play a video game and my roommate said i was watching the screen like an autistic child. he meant it in jest, but, after hearing it, i started looking into autism, which led me to a.s. (through wikipedia, a few other sites and this site). reading about it i felt a lot of the traits fit me, so i searched for online self-tests (going to the grocery store requires hours of psyching myself up and almost incapacitating levels of anxiety, so going to a psychiatrist is essentially outside the realm of possibility for me) and took four of them (the wired test, aspie-test, the geeksyndrome.com test and one other, the name of which i can't remember) and for all four i received a result of "very likely an aspie", with a score that was at least 20% above the "most aspies score above this" score. i would at some point like to have my self-diagnosis confirmed/denied (i am generally skeptical of self-diagnoses), but i'm not sure how likely that is to happen any time soon.

i figured i'd also include the ice-breaker info from another thread:
What is your first name? izaiah.
Hobbies and Interests: art, music, film, comics, literature, architecture, theater, astronomy/astrophysics, archeaology, norway, central asia, belgium, eastern europe, india, odd things.
Why are you here? self-diagnosed asperger's syndrome.
When were you diagnosed?: within the last couple weeks.
Favorite subjects: my degree is in art history and theater design.
Year/Grade: completed my bachelor's degree in 1998, some further coursework in philosophy and literature.
Favorite music: too many to list, but a few favorites are: midnight oil, fiona apple, prince, decemberists, gogol bordello, public enemy, portishead, nitzer ebb, adam ant, squarepusher, bjork, the blood brothers, camper van beethoven/cracker, led zeppelin, eisley, hank III, pantera, ministry, motion man, i could go on for days (i spend a lot of time by myself listening to music), but i'll stop now.
Books: death comes for the archbishop, of human bondage, the stranger, the good soldier, lafcadio's adventures, a farewell to arms, down and out in paris and london, the castle, fatelessness, a day in the life of ivan denisovich, the heart is a lonely hunter, the red and the black, germinal, to the lighthouse, the history of the seige of lisbon.
TV shows/Movies: buffy the vampire slayer, deadwood, most of the adult swim comedy lineup. for movies, i like documentaries, foreign & arthouse stuff, and i'm a big horror fan (i'll refrain from making another big list of titles).
Instrument: some drums, used to play bass clarinet.
Do you like sports? If so which ones? i don't hate sports, but i can't bring myself to care really. if i had to watch a sport it would probably be cricket or ice hockey.
Family: mom, dad, two younger sisters, lots of aunts/uncles and cousins (my family is gigantic on both sides).
Clothing: simple, no logos, baggy (i can't deal with clothes that restrict movement or feel at all tight - i can't wear jackets at all, i layer sweatshirts in the winter).
How did you find this website? link from wikipedia, i think.
Job: hating my job.
Plans for the future? hope to do something in the arts realm (film or writing primarily).

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 2:31 am

Honored. I am The Crimson King. I and One Winged Angel are fated to do battle till' the end of time.

Mister_Barista
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

22 Dec 2006, 2:18 pm

In hearing more and more about AS, I'm starting to think I might have some permutation of it. I scored 27 on an Online test for it, so that's pretty close. I read the Wiki entry on it, and it does kinda sound like me -- socially inept, sometimes clumsy, etc, which is funny as I am known locally as a poet and performance artist. I'm great in the spotlight, with hundreds of people, or in small groups of up to six people, but am uncomfortable in other sized groups. I'm not 'obsessed' with numbers or anything. I need to find out more, and where to go from here. SGR

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 2:30 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

hyperbolic
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2006, 2:46 pm

Welcome to WP!