Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Tica
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2011, 2:17 pm

I tend to have trouble maintaining a relationship let alone a friendship. Sometimes i feel like because of the Asperger's many of my friendships are ruined. There are days when i wish that i could portray myself acting more social. I never want to mislead friends by pretending to be someone i am not. Hopefully i will get more understanding friends in the future. Luckily i have been able to maintain friendships with certain people for years. I wonder what the future holds for me.

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 4:45 pm

Friends? WHAT FRIENDS?

I don't want to sound soooo pessimystic (sp?) but for me, it is the truth!

I've had one or 2 friends (pre-AS diagnosis) that after a year or 2 they pretty much told me to leave 'em alone. I've often wondered WHAT would happen if I called 'em up & told 'em about my diagnosis...but with the WONDERFUL response I've gotten from my own frickin' family, I won't do it.

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

21 Jul 2011, 12:13 am

I suck at keeping friends. I only have 3 good friends!

Gibo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

21 Jul 2011, 5:06 am

However, I also don't have many friends, but I wish if I could.

Mishmash
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Jul 2011, 3:55 am

I don't have many friends either.
I find it difficult to trust people. People always end up messing me about in the end and then I stand my ground and say "I won't have it", and then I come across as the bad person for not allowing the person and their bad behaviour to continue in my life.

Siaqey
Butterfly
Butterfly

22 Jul 2011, 5:25 am

I suck at having friends too.Never get it on how to start talking with people so I just keep it shut.I have 3 friends who have been with me for a couple of years and they like me and respect me for my wierdness(they are the nerdy crowd of my class).the rest of my class just laughs at me.

LostUndergrad9090
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 6:59 am

your not the only one. the people that do have friends are probably just as happy as the next person. I've socialized before and it wasn't that great. Its fun when you know yourself and dont have a care in the world but as I am now, no thank you. But yes at times it can be fun.

teximomma
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2011, 12:42 pm

My son is 13 and ever since pre-school the "friend" situation has been somewhat a challenge for him. He is usually pretty good about making a friend, the problem is maintaining the friendship. It is the friend on the other end that loses interest. We have lived in our neighborhood for 12 years now and so he has practically grown up with all of the neighborhood kids, but thats just as far as it goes. These kids have teased and taunted him to the point that I want to just move, but it will probably be the same no matter where we live. My heart just aches on this topic!