Page 196 of 360 [ 5749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 193, 194, 195, 196, 197, 198, 199 ... 360  Next

butterfingersbeck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jul 2011, 6:46 pm

MsMarginalized wrote:
3 yrs ago I got all into another discussion forum (have no idea WHERE it is....) & I mentioned that I would LOVE to be cured of AS. Was told that would be like a cat walking into a drugstore to look for a cure to it's "feline-ness". :( LEFT THAT FORUM PRETTY QUICK!

As far as I can tell, this forum is pretty tolerant and even-handed regarding the "cure" question.

I personally regard AS as a very important (if double-edged) part of who I am and how I am. Part of me looks at other people and says "I wish I could behave/perceive/succeed like them", and another part says "I am fortunate to be able to see the world differently; to do things that others would never think of doing and to have had a unique roller-coaster of a life".

It gets more complicated regarding my children, both of whom have diagnosed ASDs. I identify very strongly with them, especially my elder son who is 12 and has just completed his first year at a mainstream secondary school. He knows he is "different" in the same way that I am, but we have never discussed his condition with him in any depth - we don't want him to use it as an excuse at school. He seems to be doing quite well academically - he is also very artistic and has started teaching himself to play keyboards. If a cure were available and he wanted it, we would probably consider it, but his sense of humour, view of the world and imagination are so inextricably bound by his condition that I have no idea what his "cured" self might be like.

My younger son is 9, with highly developed language skills (near-perfect spelling and an extraordinary vocabulary, plus an increasing knowledge of and interest in etymology) but with the social and motor skills of a 5-year-old. He is currently at a mainstream primary school, with individual help in the classroom, but in two years he will have to go elsewhere, and unlike his brother we can't see him ever being truly independent. He is sweet, cute, affectionate, imaginative and breathtakingly intelligent, but unfortunately this will count for little as a teenager. If a cure were available? I don't know - he seems so happy in himself at the moment, but we have to face the fact that in a few years he will be a "disabled youth", and unlikely to be able to cope in a mainstream secondary school, but equally he needs to be intellectually stimulated - with a mind like his he would probably excel as an academic. Contrast this with the prospect of an ordinary (and probably average) passage through education. Would he thank us for removing his disability or curse us for robbing him of his uniqueness?

Arisa
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

19 Jul 2011, 6:56 pm

What is your first name?
Arisa.

Hobbies and Interests:
Wasting time on the Internet, reading, occasionally writing and drawing. I'm interested in linguistics and the study of the brain, but it's too early to really tell.

Why are you here?
I wanted to get in contact with fellow Aspies so that the world feels less lonely. :P

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):
A few months ago.

Favorite subjects:
French and history.

Year/Grade:
11th.

Favorite music:
Indie stuff and classic rock.

Books:
The Great Gatsby, Anna Karenina, Watchmen, Persepolis. I'm reading Chaos: Making a New Science now, and while I can't say I understand half of what's going on, I can't deny that it's got me hooked.

TV shows/Movies:
Firefly, Castle, The Daily Show, FLCL, Azumanga Daioh, Top Chef, Paranoia Agent, and Baccano!.

Instrument:
Violins are pretty boss. :D

Do you like sports?
No. Nooooo.

Family:
An overworked mother, a laid-back father, an awesome older sister, and an adorable flabby cat.

Clothing:
buh

How did you find this website?
...Can't remember.

Job:
High school student.

Plans for the future?
I'd love to major in biology in college, then go on to study neuroscience in grad school. I'd fancy finding a partner and raising a child, too. ^_^

Whispering
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

20 Jul 2011, 1:21 am

What is your first name?
Gret

Hobbies and Interests:
Gardening, reading, baking,

Why are you here?
Living and learning with other aspies and ladies on the spectrum.

Favorite subjects:
Psychology, biology,

Year/Grade:
Oh heck, for me, it doesn't matter at this point.

Favorite music:
Christian, rap, jazz, R&B. I enjoy music because it allows me to voice my soul, when my mind and body have no more words or cannot find the words. It gives a more defined emotional release when I am lost within pain.

Books:
Whatever I find to read. Also depends on my mood. I enjoy reading.

TV shows/Movies:
I'm usually somewhere on the internet reading, working a sudoku puzzle, or baking etc. . . Sometimes, television drains my energy.

Instrument:
Though I don't play one, I do like guitar (Santana and Earl Klugh) and different Pianists.

Do you like sports?
No. Nooooo.

Family:
Precious family. This is my gift from God. (Husband, 2 boys, and a dog.) These 2 and 4 legged creatures fill my days with joy frustration, and emotions, I didn't know existed. I can't live without them. That said, I've been considering selling them for 5cents a piece when they drive me crazy :lol: .

Clothing:
shorts, t-shirts, shoes, sandals, dresses, and whatever doesn't get mamed in the day to day activities of being the nutty mommy.

How did you find this website?
google search

Job:
Survival. I'm the only one working outside my home at this time. I'm scared nervous and stepping on other people's toes at work. Just trying to be sure, I can keep a roof over my family's head and not offend people at work. My job is to survive.

Plans for the future?
Raise my children to become respectful boys. Give my boys enough love and discipline to enjoy their lives and understand that it is okay to be different - "like momma".

MsMarginalized
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jul 2011, 10:57 am

butterfingersbeck wrote:
Would he thank us for removing his disability or curse us for robbing him of his uniqueness?

I'm not advocating a parents choosing a cure for their child.

I am an adult. I want to make my own decisions. And if a cure was available, I would DEFFINITLY look into it for myself.

(And IF I were to interject myself into YOUR SONS situation, I would probably say: Let him choose for himself.)

butterfingersbeck
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

20 Jul 2011, 1:36 pm

MsMarginalized wrote:
butterfingersbeck wrote:
Would he thank us for removing his disability or curse us for robbing him of his uniqueness?

I'm not advocating a parents choosing a cure for their child.

I am an adult. I want to make my own decisions. And if a cure was available, I would DEFFINITLY look into it for myself.

(And IF I were to interject myself into YOUR SONS situation, I would probably say: Let him choose for himself.)

I completely agree. I am not "anti-cure", but if a cure were available:
a) I would not want it myself
b) I would not wish to apply it or have it applied to any person without their explicit desire for it (not merely their consent).

Things would get difficult in a situation where a person's quality of life would by any standards be improved by treatment and that person is not capable of asking for or even agreeing to treatment.

Imagine as an example a person in a long-term coma. A new treatment has been developed which will permanently restore their conscious state with only one possible side effect; an unpredictable but socially acceptable change in their personality. Do you (as a close relative) leave the patient comatose for the rest of their life or do you use the cure, in the knowledge that both for you and for themselves they may no longer be the person they were before entering the coma?

BillyIdolFan217
Veteran
Veteran

22 Jul 2011, 4:56 pm

Hobbies and Interests: Music (Billy Idol of course) TV, movies, bowling, shopping (sometimes) baking, computer, writing, drawing, and coloring

Why are you here? Aspergers, OCD, anxiety, possibly ADD

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): July 7th, 2011

Favorite subjects: English and science

Year/Grade: Graduated HS in `07

Favorite music: Billy Idol!! !! !! !! !! ! I love the `80`s!!

Books: Not much of a reader. But Billy Idol`s autobiography is coming out next year and u can bet I`ll read that!

TV shows/Movies: Well nowadays TV sucks. I miss the `90`s TV! Now I like Family Guy, Spongebob, and Arthur! Movies: I love comedy and Adam Sandler movies! The Wedding Singer is my favorite because Billy Idol is in it!

Instrument: Don`t play one. I like guitars though.

Do you like sports? NO WAY!

Family: Mom, dad, 2 older brothers, a sister in-law because my oldest brother is married! They are all NT (I think)

Clothing: Casual and colorful!

How did you find this website? Twitter I`m following @WrongPlanet

Job: Don`t have one at the moment

Plans for the future? A writer

Any comments? I love this website!

Njarf
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2011, 1:13 am

What is your first name? Nick

Hobbies and Interests: Swords, armour, medieval things, fencing, SCA fighting, music, D&D, Zombie stuff, video games, probably a few other things I can't put my finger on.

Why are you here? AS, Bi-polar, Anxiety, ADD

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Early 2011

Favorite subjects: History, English

Year/Grade: Junior In HS

Favorite music: I like lots of music. I like indie rock, alternative(whatever that means. Isn't a lot of rock "alternative these days. What is it alternative to?)IDM, Drum and Bass, Gregorian chant, Medieval Folk, Folk, Troubadour, lots of other stuff.

Books: I like High fantasy novels, like LOTR and stuff by R.A. Salvatore. I also like non-fiction History books, like the ones by Ewart Oakeshott. Do comic books count? I like them too, namely comics by Robert Kirkman.

TV shows/Movies: Right now I'm watching Breaking Bad, I also like The Walking Dead, Deadliest Warrior, Historical, scientific, and nature documentaries.

Instrument(s): I can't read music, but I have a good ear. I can play the bass and guitar reasonably well. I've dabbled in others like the piano, recorder, ocarina, violin. jaw harp, drums, dulcimer.

Do you like sports? Sometimes. I don't find watching sports very exciting. I like to play them though. I've played baseball and American football in leagues. I also do a little fencing, and I just started doing SCA heavy fighting.

Family: I have a Mom and Dad(divorced) I have an older sister who is married, and a younger brother. My Mom and bother are NT i think, but my Dad is(here it comes) Bi-polar schizophrenic with psychotic tendencies, audio visual and tactile. My sister has really a bad anxiety disorder too.

Clothing: I mostly wear pajama pants and a t-shirt, since I stay home most of the time. When I have to leave the house I usually wear a different t-shirt and khakis or cargo pants.

How did you find this website? I searched "autism forum" and this was the first one.

Job: Stay at home student

Plans for the future?Finish High School, go to college, make a lot of money, but lots of nice things.

Any comments? I like turtles.

Your Aspie score: 159 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 48 of 200
You are very likely an Aspie

loveashley
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

23 Jul 2011, 8:31 pm

What is your first name? Ashley

Hobbies and Interests: drawing, painting, swimming, welding

Why are you here? I want to meet people like me

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 9

Favorite subjects: art

Year/Grade: 1st year college

Favorite music: Rock

Books: twilight series

TV shows/Movies: Supernatural

Instrument: my MP3 player

Do you like sports? yes

Family: mom dad 2 brothers

Clothing: odd ball Emo dark punky mismatching

How did you find this website? mom found it

Job: baby sit

Plans for the future? get married have kids

Any comments? depressed

KeepThePeace
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

24 Jul 2011, 12:06 am

What is your first name? Aaron

Hobbies and Interests(Favorite):
Music(Guitar), Sports(Baseball/Boxing), Movies(many), Learning, Art, and all kinds of other things except math and book reading.

Why are you here?To learn more

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): February. Asperger's (I cannot lie :wink: )

Favorite subjects: English, theatre, psychology, geography, science

Year/Grade: Some College... Kent State University 95'-97'

Favorite music: Mainly Rock. But like elements of most, except opera.

Books: Don't enjoy them

TV shows/Movies: Depends on the mood. But pass on reality tv.

Instrument: Guitar, baritone in high school.

Do you like sports? Yes. Indoor and outdoor. Team sports and recreational sports.

Family: A daughter. Divorced parents. Three younger sisters. A grandmother. A stepmother. Two uncles. An aunt. And all the rest that come with them.

Clothing: Whatever is comfortable.

How did you find this website? World Wide Web 8O

Job: None Currently

Plans for the future? Support myself and my daughter

Any comments? well learned, but confused about what to do with it :roll:

jn46036
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2011, 7:25 pm

What is your first name? Jannette

Hobbies and Interests: any thing out doors

Why are you here? My 17 year old daughter and 12 year old son have AS, my 15 year old son may have it, my little sister, all her kids, my older brother, and his son, and my cousins son. I guess it runs in the family. I have ADHD, OCD

Favorite subjects: Forensics

Year/Grade: college

Favorite music: don't know

Books: Left Behind Series

TV shows/Movies: Temple Grandin

Instrument:

Do you like sports? swimming

Family:

Clothing:

How did you find this website? searching for help with my daughter

Job: Criminal Justice Student

Plans for the future? Live one day at a time

Any comments? Any parents with AS kids I need advice!

Zombo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Jul 2011, 8:47 pm

What is your first name? Ben

Hobbies and Interests: Internet, Texting, Sports, Music, Watching movies, Fishing.

Why are you here? I have aspergers and tourettes syndrome, also OCD, ADD, and anxiety.

When were you diagnosed? Aspergers 4 months ago, tourettes/OCD/ADD when I was 13, anxiety when I was 18.

Favorite subjects: Geography, and music

Year/Grade: No college

Favorite music: Anything but opera. I'm a musician, so I like mostly everything.

Books: Autobiographies, mostly ones about pro wrestlers or musicians.

TV shows/Movies: When it comes to TV, I mostly like pro wrestling, sports, and the news. Movies, I like everything just about. But not a big fan of mysteries.

Instrument: I play lots of them. Guitar (16 years), bass guitar (15 years), drums (18 years), trumpet (when I was in middle school) and french horn also. I can play SOME piano, harmonica, and banjo.

Do you like sports? LOVE THEM!

Family: Married, have a child from a past marriage though. He is almost 8 years old and I want to have him screened for aspergers also, but his mother says that if you have aspergers you are ret*d and obviously we all know she is stupid!

Clothing: Who needs clothes? Just kidding, I dress casual. Aeropostale gear, Nike, and sometimes I will rock retro shirts like Count Chocula cereal brand, or Dennis the Menace, and such!

How did you find this website? A friend of mine, his son has autism and he directed me to this website last night.

Job: Disabled, but I am looking for something part-time. My dream is to work in a veterinary clinic, but they don't seem to hire males. :(

Plans for the future? Ummm, I'm not really sure. I'm too spontaneous to say.

Any comments? I met a neighbor where I live, and she also has aspergers to my surprise. So, it's nice to have her to talk to, but I can't wait to meet some of you also!

imnotnuts
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Jul 2011, 9:37 pm

What is your first name? Erika

Hobbies and Interests: The Internet, Psychology, The Universe, Learning, Vocabulary

Why are you here? Finally diagnosed with Asperger's a few months ago

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 2011

Favorite subjects: Psychology, Science in general, The Universe, Lupus

Year/Grade: B.S.

Favorite music: Country

Books: I have a hard time reading because of ADHD but The Way I See It

TV shows/Movies: Lost, The Big Bang Theory, House, As Good As It Gets, The Silence of the Lambs. I don't like movies much unless they are really good since I always pick apart the holes in them

Instrument: I'm not very musically inclined

Do you like sports? I used to play lacrosse in H.S. but that's about it. I don't get the obsession most have with sports.

Family: All a little nuts. Seriously? Oh, divorced with two little girls. I suspect the oldest might have Asperger's as well (she is seven). One sister, one brother who I suspect may have Asperger's but he doesn't think there are such things as disorders like ADHD or depression etc. so he'll never get diagnosed

Clothing: It keeps me warm in the winter. Oh you mean style? Casual, whatever is cheapest. Old Navy, Target works

How did you find this website? A browser search

Job: Disabled due to lupus, and the hardest job on earth, a mother

Plans for the future? Stay alive and sane

Alex_W
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Jul 2011, 11:10 pm

What is your first name? Alex

Hobbies and Interests: stand up comedy, music, health and vegetarianism

Why are you here? I most likely have asp.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): not actually diagnosed

Year/Grade: graduated high school in 2009

Favorite music: rock, metal, jazz, classical

Instrument: been playing guitar on and off for about 4 or 5 years, i also play a bit of flute and harmonica

Do you like sports? soccer, football, tennis

Family: two older brothers and two older sisters (all nt)

Clothing: casual/plain

How did you find this website? search engine

Job: none

Plans for the future? might be able to go to college soon

Last edited by Alex_W on 28 Jul 2011, 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

nenji
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

28 Jul 2011, 12:59 pm

What is your first name? nenji

Hobbies and Interests: gaming, reading through wikipedia, drawing

Why are you here? possible aspie, because some of my idiosyncrasies finally made sense. Self-diagnosis says I might be. Otherwise I feel NT enough, so I'm really not sure. My main problem is under-developed social skills, but that could be caused by any number of things.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): self-diagnosed, just about a week ago

Favorite subjects: games, anime, macroeconomics, and most recently, autism spectrum disorders!

Year/Grade:

Favorite music: anything that has a nice tune. can't find the words to describe it.

Books: none in particular

TV shows/Movies: Big Bang Theory!

Instrument: none

Do you like sports? no. and very uncoordinated I might add

Family: mum, dad and cat. currently living by myself though.

Clothing: no particular preference (no dress sense either)

How did you find this website? well I was kinda researching about why I have to be so socially dysfunctional my whole life, and one thing lead to another :)

Job: statistical analyst

Plans for the future? whatever God calls on me to do :)

Any comments?

autismthinker21
Veteran
Veteran

29 Jul 2011, 3:28 pm

Location: not giving it out. reason to many people eavesdrop.

Hobbies and Interests: computers, gaming, music, fixing stuff and taking apart things.

Why are you here? because i was diagnosed with aspergers and i want to know people like me that have autism.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): recently like months ago

Favorite subjects: science,history( little bit).

Year/Grade: not in college yet.

Favorite music: Heavy metal to long to explain my favorite music

Books: long walk by stephen king

TV shows/Movies: to long of a list to write down.

Instrument: none

Do you like sports? just biking and basketball sometimes including swimming to.

Family: confidential

Clothing: why do you need to know clothing?

How did you find this website? through nsseo

Job: none at the moment

Plans for the future? have a girlfriend, be married, have a house somewhere, having a good life to be in.

Any comments? is this website safe to post on?

svensbyn
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 Jul 2011, 2:57 pm

What is your first name? S

Hobbies and Interests: Science, engineering, stockmarket

Why are you here? Curious

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Never

Favorite subjects: Science

Year/Grade: 1992 MSc ME

Favorite music: Rock

Books: Catch 22