Page 1 of 3 [ 47 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

mooseman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2007, 2:18 am

Hi all -

I'm a first-timer here - looks like a great site! I'm a programmer in Wellington, New Zealand - academic background is a B.Sc degree in chemistry. Age 45, single (but not for lack of trying to be otherwise..... ). A **very** long history of lousy social skills. Now, I just can't be bothered with the social thing - I just "go with the flow" and do what I want.....

Anyway - as you can tell from my nickname, I **love** moose - moose rock! ... :-) Here's a link to a great moose video on YouTube - I think everyone will love this -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsjEVKbxS1Q

Anyway, good to be here ..... :-) Bye for now -
- mooseman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2007, 2:22 am

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

mooseman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2007, 2:24 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Tim

Hi Tim_Tex - thanks very much! :-)

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

Location: Middle Earth. Er, I mean Wellywood. Wait, Wellington.

07 Mar 2007, 2:32 am

OMG OMG OMG!! ! I'm from Wellington too!! Welcome to WP!!

In a way
And sadness turned to comfort
We all go there

Laura
Toucan
Toucan

07 Mar 2007, 2:38 am

Welcome to Wrongplanet. I live in New Zealand too (Auckland). I am 14 years old though. Have fun on this site I have met some interesting people and made a few friends on the chatroom here. It's a great site and we all thank Alex for making it possible.

mooseman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2007, 2:41 am

Laura wrote:
Welcome to Wrongplanet. I live in New Zealand too (Auckland). I am 14 years old though. Have fun on this site I have met some interesting people and made a few friends on the chatroom here. It's a great site and we all thank Alex for making it possible.

Hi - thanks Laura :-)

- mooseman

mooseman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Mar 2007, 2:43 am

KBABZ wrote:
OMG OMG OMG!! ! I'm from Wellington too!! Welcome to WP!!

Hi - thanks very much! :-)

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2007, 4:23 am

Hi, welcome to WP.

Alaric
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Mar 2007, 7:38 am

Hail and welcome.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2007, 9:30 am

Well...

Put on your gumboots, and ya rubber gloves, and let's get shearing!! - hope to talk to ya across the ocean from the lucky country!

whoops velrove ,not rubber -! -oh I see what I did,, gumboots are made out of rubber.

Inventor
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2007, 2:32 pm

Welcome,

AS is understandable, but Aussies and Kiwis? We may never understand, but it is fun to watch language butchers at work.

Erlyrisa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2007, 11:55 pm

Language BUTCHER's ---us! (the pun here being the language butcher's are the US A)

hmm yeah

I can see how mom should be spelt with an O ,, but it's supposed to be spelt with a U -! as is MUM

mom and pop? -it's mother and father!

civilization -it's civilisation !

The worst part is -- our country's kids have to contend with American spell checkers - now even our teachers can't spell....teaching the next generation inconsistencies like -childs play --which is if you take the 'real' rules of grammar should be child's play.

-not trying to rant,,,just informing.

mooseman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2007, 12:12 am

Inventor wrote:
Welcome,

AS is understandable, but Aussies and Kiwis? We may never understand, but it is fun to watch language butchers at work.

Heh.... ouch .... ;-)

Mind you, Dubya mangles the language a bit too, especially "nuclear" ( nucular ) :-)

Anyway, what I will say is that you've got waaaaaay cooler animals than we have.
**Especially moose!** ..... :-) Squirrels are great too.

( Oh, before I forget - to all those who've welcomed me since my last visit - thanks for the welcome... :-) )

I was in Canada and the U.S. back in 2002 (I'm half-Canadian, my mother is from Canada (Ontario), but I was born here in NZ).

Anyway, I've got lots of relatives over there (mostly in Calgary, Edmonton and Toronto). One of my uncles and I travelled down into Montana,and then across Wyoming and the rest of the northern US, then up into Ontario. Great trip! Went to Yellowstone and saw Old Faithful there (it wasn't erupting while we were there, unfortunately). Also went to Mt Rushmore - that was great! Anyway - visited the rellies in Ontario, then went back across Canada back to Calgary (where my uncle lives).

We decided to take a very "roundabout" route to Vancouver (to catch my flight home from there). We went down into Washington state, through Spokane, and into Mt Rainier National Park. Awesome place! We approached Mt Rainier from the south, and the road drops steeply for about a mile or so, with Rainier directly ahead of you, so it looks like it's growing as you approach it. Very impressive. Spent the night there, then across to see Mt St Helens
and the *huge* spread of ash that the 1980 eruption left. That was incredible to see "first-hand". Then up to Vancouver and flew home from there.

My favourite city in Canada is definitely Vancouver. That is just great! On the coast (which I like, as I love the sea), and with the mountains as a backdrop. A really cool downtown area too - Gastown is great with the various little shops there.

One of the wildlife highlights was seeing a moose in northern Ontario (a cow-moose, munching away on the side of the road). Great! They are just soooo cool .... :-)

- mooseman

Last edited by mooseman on 08 Mar 2007, 12:33 am, edited 2 times in total.

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2007, 12:16 am

mooseman wrote:
Anyway, what I will say is that you've got waaaaaay cooler animals than we have.
**Especially moose!** ..... Smile Squirrels are great too.

Rocky and Bullwinkle, anyone? :D

In a way
We all go there

mooseman
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

08 Mar 2007, 12:35 am

KBABZ wrote:
mooseman wrote:

Yeah, I've heard of them (even seen a picture of Bullwinkle on the net too). Those cartoons didn't make it to NZ unfortunately, but I *do* remember watching "Hogan's Heroes" in the '60s. Enjoyed that.... ;-)

KBABZ
Veteran
Veteran

08 Mar 2007, 12:43 am

mooseman wrote:
KBABZ wrote:
mooseman wrote:

Yeah, I've heard of them (even seen a picture of Bullwinkle on the net too). Those cartoons didn't make it to NZ unfortunately, but I *do* remember watching "Hogan's Heroes" in the '60s. Enjoyed that.... ;-)

I'm dang sure I've seen that on some morning shows!

In a way
We all go there