Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

galbut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2007, 11:20 am

I discovered this forum yesterday and have really enjoyed reading it. I won't go so far as to say I believe I have a disorder I heard about less than a week ago, but many of the feelings and experiences others have expressed are very familiar to me.

What is your first name? Greg

Hobbies and Interests: Running. Cycling. Writing/acting/directing(stage, not film). Science Fiction, sports, lithuanian language, cd collecting

Why are you here? Interest. So many things I've read apply to me at least a little.

Year/Grade: Graduated Miami University 1996

Favorite music: The Fall above all else. Though I'm also a huge fan of Nick Cave, Julian Cope, Gogol Bordello, David Bowie, Luke Haines, Andrius Mamontovas, Jim White, and a lot of others.

Books: Phillip K. Dick, Star Wars novels, baseball history books, supernatural phenomena books, time travel theory books.

TV shows/Movies: TV- Not much, these days I really like "Always Sunny In Philadelphia" and "Squidbillies" Used to love "Beavis And Butthead" Movies - V for Vendetta, Nightwatch, Dark City, Major League, Anchorman

Instrument: You kidding me? I was in a band when I was a 17-21, but couldn't really play anything (we were a complete joke band, with hit songs like "Horse's Ass" and "No More Martians"

Do you like sports? Absolutely. Mostly the big sports like Football, baseball and basketball. I root geographically, Ohio State in college sports and Cleveland teams in pro sports.

Family: I'm an adopted only child. Have a good relationship with family, have been employed managing a store owned by my family for about 10 years.

Clothing: I generally wear it. Not very fashion conscious. Most of my shirts came from a race I have run.

How did you find this website? Simple websearch. Overheard someone speculated I may have AS so I figured I'd look into it.

Job: I manage a UPS Store. Most likely something new in 2007 (but I said that in '05 and '06!)

Plans for the future? Need a new way to make a living. I believe I'm smart and talented enough to be more (financially) successful, but thus far too complacent to work on that. I have many play/story ideas I think are great, but I don't work on them enough. Oh, and I want to break 18:30 in a 5k someday.

Any comments? I must admit I am a bit skeptical about how many people believe they have mental disorders. I believe we (humans) live in societies that do not completely jive with the way our brains have been made, and therefore mostly anyone can be found to have something "wrong" with them. I have been really pleased, however, with what I've read on this forum. Most notably the overwhelming sentiment that people feel they think a little differently than what is believed to be the norm, rather than that they have an affliction to blame their difficulties on. I feel that I need to work on a lot of things in my life, and all the obstacles are in my head. I hope by talking to people here I may gain some helpful perspective.

alex
Developer
Developer

03 Jan 2007, 11:22 am

welcome. how much biking do you do? Also, why no screenplay writing?

MrMark
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 11:35 am

Hi Greg, I'm Mark. Welcome to the Wrong Planet. How much do you know about your biological parents?

- Emerson

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 11:59 am

Hi Greg, welcome aboard :)

galbut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 Jan 2007, 12:26 pm

Thanks for quick responses and questions.

When I'm in a good groove (not since July though) I tend to bike between 150-200 miles per week. It's a 15 mile ride to work, and I hope to get back into that in the spring. I consider myself more a runner than a biker.

No screenplays because that is just an artform I don't have much experience with. I am in a situation where if I have a good idea for a stage piece I can write it and have a good chance to make it happen (I'm a former artistic director of an alternative theatre troupe, and still a company member of that troupe) so when I do write (nowhere close to often enough!) that tends to be my outlet. I am not against the idea of screenplays, and many of my ideas seem like they would make good films.

I know very little of my biological parents. She was sixteen. It was in Cleveland. My ethnic makeup is supposedly similar to my family's (mixture of many Western European, probably more Italian than others).

rincemeister
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

03 Jan 2007, 2:36 pm

We hope you enjoy your stay, it's good to have you with us.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 6:24 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2007, 9:26 pm

Another 32 year old for me to get to know. I'm that age, as well. :)

Many warm welcomes. :D

galbut
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Jan 2007, 11:05 am

Cockneyrebel, it would seem you're british. Any chance you're a Fall fan as well?

ruudvandrago
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Mar 2007, 4:45 pm

I am from Lithuania. We can talk in lithuanian if you can understand lithuanian language