Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CatnipKat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2012, 12:44 pm

Hello, I've just joined and here's a bit about myself :D

I'm a female Aspie, and I'm 19. I was diagnosed two years ago with an ASD (Aspergers Syndrome) and panic attacks which came from a direct result of bullying and verbal harassment when I was at school.
I live in Kilmarnock, Scotland, and I would love to travel the world someday :).
My interests are reading (mainly fantasy including Harry Potter and quite recently The Dresden Files), TV shows like Doctor Who and Torchwood, as well as comedies like The Big Bang Theory. I also like Bones and have become hooked on The Killing 3.
My special interests are reading, drawing, and cats :).
Got diagnosed through a doctor and two psychologists, over 18 months during visits to therapists etc. The school was No Help At All, and it was only after my parents spoke privately with the head teacher did the bullying get dealt with accordingly.
I'm not currently in education but I hope to go into an art course at University.

Asterisp
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 1:22 pm

Hello, welcome here at WP.

For me university was really relaxed on the social level, since there were enough other weird people :D
So I hope you will feel be happy there.

The problem with schools and bullying is, that in most cases several people are involved and it is easier to ignore it or send the victim away, comparing to disciplining a whole group.

Reading is a good special interest, one of mine too. I just finished the Hunger Games (all three parts in five evenings), before that Strata by Pratchett. And I have two books of Leon Uris on my pile (historic novels).

I hope you find some good information and advice here...
Have fun!

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2012, 1:32 pm

Hi CatnipKat..hearty welcome.

CatnipKat
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Nov 2012, 1:52 pm

Asterisp, unfortunately the schools cannot take action against bullying because most of the time there is no substantial proof that the bully was doing the bullying in the first place, and usually it takes place where teachers aren't in the area (such as in school playgrounds, corridors at lunch time etc). Also, the teachers can be really incompetent when it comes to students who report the bullying (giving advice such as "just ignore them" or "don't let them know its getting to you, they'll get bored and leave you alone").
I imagine that the social side of university would be more appealing to those on the autism spectrum due because of less pressure to join social circles and join groups. Also, there will be a better attitude since I'm sure people will be more understanding and treat you with better respect. :D
I like the Hunger Games too, but not as much as I like Terry Pratchett's works, I'm currently reading the Tiffany Aching novels.
And thank you :D

iggy64
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

25 Nov 2012, 2:39 pm

Welcome to WP :) its terrible that so many people come here with histories of severe bullying from schools, children really are the cruelest. At least most adults have some tolerance for "quirks".

I like doctor who and spin offs too :D

bigwheel
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Nov 2012, 3:00 pm

iggy64 wrote:
Welcome to WP :) its terrible that so many people come here with histories of severe bullying from schools, children really are the cruelest. At least most adults have some tolerance for "quirks".

I like doctor who and spin offs too :D

Bullying is a function of the school administrators. They have to become motivated to stomp it out. I spent 11 years in the public school system and we did not put up with that nonsense. Zero tolerance. First offense ISS..2nd OSS..third off to the alternative trouble maker campus plust sometimes a few thousand bucks worth of tickets from the school cop (which was me). The thugs get the message rapidly in such scenarios. And this do not even count what would happen to any poor miscreant caught bullying a blessed child. AS..regular old autism or any other form of physical or mental challenges. His class mates prob lynch him/her before the admin could get around to skinning them alive and nailing their filthy carcass to the front door of the school. No telling whut happen when I get my turn..lol.

Last edited by bigwheel on 25 Nov 2012, 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 3:47 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! Make yourself at home here. :)