Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

birdsintherain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2013, 10:09 am

Hi everyone.

I'm here to learn. Being diagnosed with mild Asperger's would be an unbelievable relief and a lifetime of questions answered. I'm a little afraid of actually going for a diagnosis.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 10:14 am

Welcome :)

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 12:36 pm

Why would it be such a relief?
statistics for autistic people:
one in three manage to leave home
one in six manage to hold a job for more than a year (or was it 5 years, I can never remember)
suicide rates for autistic people are over twice that of nonautistic people
there aren't any pills that help
treatment only works ok if you start at a very young age

and people treat you like you are stupid once they find out. Why would that be great when you might have something that can be treated successfully?

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 12:37 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

birdsintherain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

24 Apr 2013, 1:38 pm

Thanks for the welcome :)

PsychoSarah wrote:
one in six manage to hold a job for more than a year (or was it 5 years, I can never remember)

and people treat you like you are stupid once they find out. Why would that be great when you might have something that can be treated successfully?

Its not like after being diagnosed I would suddenly be placed into those, or other, statistics. Ive spent my whole life dealing with things that no one else understands, things that make people hate or avoid me. Ive been isolated my whole life beyond what anyone Ive ever met can comprehend.
Finally having answers to all my struggles over the years would be very liberating. Knowing Im not the only person like me would allow me to stop thinking Im crazy, accept things as they are and move on. I don't need a pill. I just want to know Im not a freak, and that my life can still turn out some amount of good.

As to preferring something that can be treated... obviously I would. But what might it be? Do you know of something I should look into?

PsychoSarah
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 2:21 pm

I actually do. Certain forms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder imitate many of the symptoms of mild Asperger's. It can be successfully treated with pills that do not have any severe or long term side effects.
Symptoms ADHD shares with Asperger's:
Distractibility
Fidgetiness
Impulsiveness (such as saying things without thinking about them first)
Moving from subject to subject without transition
Difficulty maintaining eye contact
Social awkwardness (when in conversations)
Anxiety

Symptoms Asperger's has but ADHD does not
Clumsiness
Obsessive behaviors
Emotional flatness ( or in some cases, emotional over expressiveness)
Impaired theory of mind
Difficulties understanding abstract concepts, such as time or compassion

if you only have the symptoms or primarily have symptoms they share, an ADHD medication might help.

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 4:20 pm

Greetings, and welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

DarkRain
Veteran
Veteran

24 Apr 2013, 4:37 pm

PsychoSarah wrote:
I actually do. Certain forms of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder imitate many of the symptoms of mild Asperger's. It can be successfully treated with pills that do not have any severe or long term side effects.
Distractibility
Fidgetiness
Anxiety

Clumsiness
Obsessive behaviors
Impaired theory of mind

if you only have the symptoms or primarily have symptoms they share, an ADHD medication might help.

Do you know for an absolute fact that this person has ADHD? Asperger's Syndrome can manifest differently in different people. Yeah, it has classic symptoms, but don't just up and dismiss this person as not having Asperger's.

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Apr 2013, 7:54 pm

Hello, BirdsInTheRain. You will find some great perspectives on this forum! Be sure to chime in on various topic threads! :D

birdsintherain
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

25 Apr 2013, 9:20 am

Thanks everyone :)

PsychoSarah wrote:
Distractibility
Fidgetiness
Anxiety

Clumsiness
Obsessive behaviors
Impaired theory of mind

Thanks , Ill look into ADHD a bit.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Apr 2013, 7:56 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Austine
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Apr 2013, 8:08 pm

birdsintherain wrote:
Thanks for the welcome :)

PsychoSarah wrote:

Its not like after being diagnosed I would suddenly be placed into those, or other, statistics. Ive spent my whole life dealing with things that no one else understands, things that make people hate or avoid me. Ive been isolated my whole life beyond what anyone Ive ever met can comprehend.
Finally having answers to all my struggles over the years would be very liberating. Knowing Im not the only person like me would allow me to stop thinking Im crazy, accept things as they are and move on. I don't need a pill. I just want to know Im not a freak, and that my life can still turn out some amount of good.

As to preferring something that can be treated... obviously I would. But what might it be? Do you know of something I should look into?

Tell me about it. Finding out that I have aspergers has been really self explaining upon reflecting on my life. Of course I don't take any pills or anything. Personally give my recient diagnosis I have not really told anyone. I was taken to see the school head shrinker but that's about it on the reaction of others.

Cadagan
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Apr 2013, 8:56 am

I find that (I'm currently in the process of being diagnosed) When I'm diagnosed, It won't AFFECT me in anyway, but it will allow me to explain aspects of my personality to others without undue Judgement. And just because those are the statistic doesn't mean we'll fall into them.
Personally, Asperger's has shed a fantastic amount of light on me, and I feel better for knowing, and So do quite alot of my friends

Anyway, Welcome birdsintherain, I'd love to have a chat or something on Skype about it, I'm kind of gathering information for myself, PM me if you're interested,
Or anyone really,
Cheers :)

WestBender84
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

29 Apr 2013, 10:57 pm

Cadagan wrote:
I find that (I'm currently in the process of being diagnosed) When I'm diagnosed, It won't AFFECT me in anyway, but it will allow me to explain aspects of my personality to others without undue Judgement. And just because those are the statistic doesn't mean we'll fall into them.
Personally, Asperger's has shed a fantastic amount of light on me, and I feel better for knowing, and So do quite alot of my friends

Anyway, Welcome birdsintherain, I'd love to have a chat or something on Skype about it, I'm kind of gathering information for myself, PM me if you're interested,
Or anyone really,
Cheers :)

I've witnessed certain individuals with ASD (not you, but people I've met) using their diagnosis to justify all sorts of non-NT, asocial behavior and in some cases deny personal responsibility for their actions, inaction, and dispositions such as rudeness and immaturity.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Apr 2013, 11:18 pm

Sweet greetings to WPea

From Mick and Peahawk Image