Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Absolute_Zero
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jul 2005, 1:32 pm

We're all in this together and we are pretty much all completely odd. Like Freya said, try the Irc chat and you will find out. Especially when I start putting on the Newfie show.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jul 2005, 9:24 pm

Hey, Kim.
I found that when I started taking Dexamphetamine for ADHD, it was suddenly a lot easier to speak. Like there was a bridge built between my brain and my mouth!
For a while I didn't stop talking, as if I were making up for lost time.
I'm diagnosed with HFA also, even though there was no delay in speech. When I was younger, I just never felt the need to say much.
With three noisy kids and one quiet one, Mum never questioned why I was different. I think my sister would have made enough noise for me anyway.
Hope you enjoy this site!

kimbo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jul 2005, 12:35 am

thank u so much for that post..
U have no idea how much that meant to me...the only problem with DXM is it leads to depression...I dunno how to fix that problem...was DXM prescribed to u or did u take it recreationally???

Kim

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 9:32 am

Hi again, Kim :)
I found when I first started taking DXM, I got anxious, like I thought something bad was going to happen, but I didn't know what. Is your feeling like that?
It could be that they have made you more aware generally and although doctors can say this is a good thing, it may not be for you because you're aware of the not so good things going on too.
It's also natural to go through a stage of slight depression because a diagnosis is a big event and can change your life. It's like grieving because you know you won't be the person you were anymore.
My depression has been a life-long thing, and that's why I am taking anti-depressants too (both are prescribed). For most people, however, the effects of the DXM even out as you get used to them. A big deal is made about how addictive they are, but for me there is no trouble in stopping them at any time.
DXM are also apparently stronger than Ritalin, so you may want to change over to see which suits you best.
Hope this helps!
renaeden.

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 9:44 am

Um, now I don't know if I messed up here! :?
I wrote DXM as a short way of writing Dexamphetamine. They aren't part of cough medicine.
Maybe I should have written "Dex" instead?

cow21984
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2005, 9:46 am

Just so you guys know, DXM is NOT dextroamphetamine. DXM is dextromethorphan which is used in cough syrups, it is not an amphetamine.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 10:15 am

it is related to amphetamines. It is true that it is dextromethorphan not dexamphetamine it is related to amphetamines, and you can feel it in its effects, sleeplessness, euphoria, feelings of forgiveness towards others, lack of hunger, energy, ect. As far as i can tell, solely from personal experiance, it is a dissassociative and an amphetamine.

cow21984
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2005, 11:58 am

I can tell you now it isnt even slightly related to amphetamines. It is a cough suppressant, and at higher doses a powerful dissociative. Just because it has dextro in its name, and dextroamphetamine happens to be a type of amphetamine (other types include amphetamine sulfate/methylamphetamine) does not mean it is related to that class.

At higher doses of DXM people are NOT energized, I suppose it is maybe slightly related in that it happens to be a dopamine reuptake inhibitor (DRI) but amphetamines themselves do not actually inhibit the uptake of dopamine, rather they produce more dopamine to be pushed into the synapses.

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 12:39 pm

I use it frequently, and i have experianced an energy boost every time.

cow21984
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2005, 12:45 pm

In high doses? (read 150+g) - Any "speedy" effects can be attributed to the dopamine reuptake inhibition, but it is not an amphetamine - ie. It does not have an effect on adrenalin, any increased motivation to do things is purely mental and as a result from the DRI effects.

cow21984
Butterfly
Butterfly

10 Jul 2005, 1:08 pm

hehe ah i noticed the poster just above my first post corrected herself.

Nevermind

Nothing to see here :P

kimbo
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jul 2005, 6:43 pm

Perhaps the other dextro is for me...but I actually have had wonderfully increased energy from it....I dunno..I guess everyone's experience is different.

Kim

SINsister
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2005, 10:59 pm

I care! :P Which is rare, because I'm a misanthrope at heart... :wink:

~Steve Jobs

Nomaken
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 5:52 am

Well if it isn't an amphetamine then is there no threat of amphetamine psychosis from it?
Cause that is the only thing about it's use that worries me

cow21984
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Jul 2005, 6:45 am

I think you meant dexamphetamine originally, got it confused with DXM. There is no way a doctor would prescribe DXM for ADD :P

renaeden
Veteran
Veteran

11 Jul 2005, 7:55 am

Agreed...unless they're a quack!