hzl
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2014, 5:57 pm

Quote:
Your Aspie score: 110 of 200
Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 108 of 200
You seem to have both Aspie and neurotypical traits

I'm 25, a women's college graduate with a major in theatre and psychology. Thanks to this crappy economy I work in sales.

Around 1996, I had a teacher who was concerned about the fact that I only wore black stretch pants instead of "cute clothes" and only ate cheese and ranch dressing sandwiches for lunch. She suggested that I be screened for ADD. While my parents had me tested for "everything under the sun" (whatever that means), my doctor said I was merely not a social butterfly. But more and more I wonder if I missed being diagnosed.

My father, if you asked him to describe me, would call me self-absorbed and only interested in what I'm interested in (when I was young he often told me 'no one cares about what you're saying'... yeah that didn't have any impact on my self-esteem whatsoever. Nope). In fact, I think most of my family would say that. I'm constantly reminded that I have to ask others what they are interested in to actually maintain a conversation. I struggle to maintain eye contact and would rather look elsewhere when I'm talking.

That being said, I can still be very social for short bursts of time especially when there is something specific I'm supposed to be doing--which is why I'm in sales--it is basically scripted and specific. If I see a person I know, usually I remember that the polite thing is to say hi (though sometimes I don't follow through). I can be charming at parties or family get togethers for about an hour before I completely crash and need to be away from humans all together. If I know someone well, the social cues make more sense--like my roommate and close friends.

I've been in therapy in recent years for depression and anxiety with the transition out of college but have not seen anyone in a few years. I'm trying to get my finances in order because I'm struggling with that right now. But I guess I wanted to come here and talk about my experiences.

I do not know if I have aspergers or not, but I suspect I might and just want to feel accepted for being me

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 7:50 pm

Welcome to WP, hzl ! !

We all hope you find this place to one of refuge and help and occasional silliness.

hzl
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2014, 8:22 pm

Thanks, Prof! :D Silliness is always appreciated.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

04 Mar 2014, 9:22 pm

hi ,hazel, I score on that test about the way you do, but when I read about autism, I feel it describes me. here's a very brief test based on the criteria docs used to use to diagnose Asperger's:

www.iautistic.com/test_AS.php

I don't know about where you live, but around here your background would qualify you to be a social worker in a psychiatric rehabilitation program teaching people things like how to deal with stress and to understand their illnesses. if you can stand to work with people full-time, the pay is $10-11 per hour, maybe better than sales work. or you could be a wrap-around, modeling healthy behavior to a child, at about that same rate of pay, only part-time.

hzl
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 Mar 2014, 9:47 pm

Hi, Cathy. I've been trying to get a job like that for ages. I used to work at a residential facility with traumatized children but left after funding got tight and we took on more children with psychotic symptoms that we were not really equipped to treat. I took a few too many hits in the head. I've put in over 100 job apps and gotten very little from it.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 1:39 pm

sorry your job search has been frustrating. don't give up.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

05 Mar 2014, 7:05 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

freddie_mercury
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Mar 2014, 10:11 am

Don't lose hope over jobs. I worked in retail for a short time, but had a very difficult time trying to convince people that they needed to buy things (I worked on commission).

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2014, 9:43 am

Welcome :)