Join ASAN & get support from Aspies/Auties 40%  40%  [ 2 ]
Total votes : 5

slave
Veteran
Veteran

26 Jul 2015, 4:06 pm

AhsokaLives wrote:
Thanks AnonymousAnonymous!

Slave, I haven't come across anything exactly as you describe. our textbooks and other resources are constantly being updated to reflect new and emerging genres. people write papers on the topic all the time, and we have whole societies for that sort of thing. One issue is that a lot of genres have nothing to do with the artist--initially it was all about marketing. When i teach that kind of music, i end up drawing a lot of diagrams on the board, making connections between genres and showing evolutions of style, etc. but it's hardly comprehensive, and i just make it as we review for exams. not terrible helpful, sorry!

No worries.

Music is evolving at such a rapid pace since the emergence of the information age and more specifically the social media era.
Music used to evolve at the speed of the Silk Road but now at the speed of MB/sec.
The access that musicians/composers have to global content has forever changed the transmission of culture.

AhsokaLives
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

26 Jul 2015, 4:24 pm

very true! and this globalizing trend has been present for a long time in the art music world. from the turn of the 20th century on, you see the influence of music from indonesia, india, africa, china, japan.... composers start replacing exoticism with respectful borrowings and nods to other cultures (actually learning from them), and art composers emerge from all over the globe. It's a pretty exciting time to live in, musically speaking! i go to a western conservatory, but am learning there to play javanese gamelan, and i can take classes in music from all over the world, hear concerts by indian classical musicians, african drumming ensembles, and so on.

"I often wonder if I should have been born at another time. My senses are unusually, some might say unnaturally keen, and ours is an era of distraction. It's a punishing drumbeat of constant input. It follows us into our homes and into our beds. It seeps into our... Into our souls, for want of a better word. [...] In my less productive moments, I'm given to wonder.... If I had just been born when it was a little quieter out there, [...] Might I have been more focused? A more fully realized person?"
-Sherlock, in Elementary ("The Marchioness")