Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 8:23 am

hi my aspie friends,
first of all i want to thank you all for being around at WP. you became an important part of my internet life. it's very good to interact with someone with similar problems and the same points of view. it's like i found a group of people as strange as i am :) however, it seems there is something i am strange in and you aren't. as subject of this post says, i don't listen to any music at all. only like once or twice a year i get obsessed with some special song to which i listen in loop over and over for around one week and then only rarely run it ever again. none of you has this twist too? i've never heard of person who doesn't listen to any music and would like to know i am not the only one :wink:
(click here to listen to: my last obsession in a song)
tomamil

girl7000
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 9:55 am

Hi,

I do listen to music a lot, (and I actually studied music at university and am a composer). Over the last couple of years, I haven't wanted to listen to music anywhere near as much as I used to - and I used to listen CONSTANTLY!

Sometimes I don't want to listen to any music for ages - as much as I love music I just can't bear any sound whatsoever sometimes.

But, like you, I then get certain pieces of music that I become completely obsessed with (regardless of whether or not I listen to music the rest of the time).

So with me it's very 'on and off' - despite the fact that I am a composer!!

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 10:10 am

I have 2 sons that have AS. The 16 yr. old listens to his music constantly. The 13 yr. old has an mp3 player that he has never even opened. When we are in the car and I ask if he likes the song that is on the radio he looks surprised because he doesn't seem to notice what is playing. He played the trombone and was awesome at it but he said it was too loud so he stopped. I think to him music is just more noise that he has to try to block out.

tomamil
Veteran
Veteran

24 May 2007, 10:17 am

blessedmom wrote:
When we are in the car and I ask if he likes the song that is on the radio he looks surprised because he doesn't seem to notice what is playing.

hmm, interesting, thanks for reply. when i am in a restaurant with somebody and he/she starts talking about that song playing there, only then i realize there is some music around. although, it doesn't seem to be an aspie trait.

jackhippy
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

24 May 2007, 10:18 am

I am a big music fan but sometimes I do get stuck in a loop. I will obsess over an artist and listen to everything they've ever written/played for 6 months at a time. Currently, I am stuck on Victor Wooten.

When did I realize I was God? Well, I was praying and I suddenly realized I was talking to myself. My epiphany was less grandiose. It was quite the opposite. I realized I was talking to myself, but no one was listening.

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 11:55 am

I didn't like music at all until I was 15. I didn't notice it at all, it always just seemed like a noise.

It's weird, in a way it was almost as if I didn't know where to start as much as anything. Like I couldn't listen to it because I couldn't understand it, just random noises and a mix of sounds that meant nothing. Like a pizza with 50 toppings, I couldn't distinguish between one ingredient and the next. Once you get past that it can actually start to mean something.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 May 2007, 4:53 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet :!: :!:
I can't sleep without some soft music playing. At 3:00 A.M. the satellite music
channel cuts off and that is what always wakes me up instead of using an alarm
clock. Weird? No, some are more "Aspie" than others.

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

25 May 2007, 11:10 pm

Sometimes when I listen to recordings of classical music where there are lots of violins or violas I hear problems with the violinists'/violists' technique and I get really frustrated. Recently, I was at a symphony concert and I could tell that this one violinist was using an open string when it was stylistically inappropriate (I could even tell which one) and I was just getting really pissed off throughout the whole performance. This doesn't always happen to me.. usually it's if I am in a bad mood.

TechnoMonk
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 12:07 pm

Despite the fact that I didn't even like music until I was 15, I now have literally thousands of cds worth of music on my computer. I can usually tell which song & artist within 5 seconds of listening to a song now. Actually, 5 seconds is taking my time, it's usually far quicker than that. I just seem to know :)

pbcoll
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 12:20 pm

tomamil wrote:
however, it seems there is something i am strange in and you aren't. as subject of this post says, i don't listen to any music at all. only like once or twice a year i get obsessed with some special song to which i listen in loop over and over for around one week and then only rarely run it ever again. none of you has this twist too? i've never heard of person who doesn't listen to any music and would like to know i am not the only one :wink:
(click here to listen to: my last obsession in a song)
tomamil

Well, I'm not crazy about music, and I also tend to listen to the same track over and over again until i get tired and then don't listen again to it in ages. I can enjoy a certain track/genre a lot for a while, but I can also go for ages without wanting to listen to music. Plus, I've never been a fan for learning about music - I don't care what the singers, musicians, etc do and so no.

El hombre es una bestia famélica, envidiosa e insaciable. (Francisco Tario)

I'm male by the way (yes, I know my avatar is misleading).

neurodeviant
Veteran
Veteran

26 May 2007, 5:39 pm

My musical tastes are quite strange. I have hardly anything in my MP3 collection, yet, I can become obsessed with certain kinds of music. At the moment, I like chiptunes and oldskool computer music.

Graelwyn
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2007, 12:00 pm

I know a few here who do not listen to anything but game music.
I myself have had a music obsession since I was a small child and will play an album or song over and over for weeks, even months until known by heart.
It just seems to reach where nothing else can and enables me to better cope with life.