I'm a Mum to a child with high functioning asd

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Jwg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2017, 7:18 am

I guess my story will be nothing new, my son has just been diagnosed with high functioning ASD, even though we've known for years, and have been asking for help for the last 8. Anyway he's now 12, and in a mess, he's not been to school since June 2016, and we are struggling to get help for him.

We've lots of agencies involved, but the help is appalling!

TomClark
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Feb 2017, 2:55 pm

As a special education teacher, I experience life "from the other side". I love being a special education teacher, but I'd be lying if I said that special services are provided evenly for everyone. I oftentimes counsel my parents to be tenacious, tenacious and TENACIOUS when it comes to receiving services for their child/children, especially if the service(s) provided are provided by the State. In the US, the best recommendation I can offer is to know your parental rights. School districts and public service agencies are oftentimes understaffed, underfunded, and overwhelmed. As a result, it's very easy to offer MINIMAL services to children who need more assistance than most. I counsel parents to stay firm in their requested assistance and to keep a paper/electronic trail of EVERYTHING related to the issue. Good luck, =) Tom

TheAP
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 3:23 pm

Welcome! Good luck to you and your son.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

01 Feb 2017, 3:30 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Jwg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 Feb 2017, 5:34 pm

Thanks everyone!! !

We are in the UK and are really having to fight for some help, luckily we have a fantastic senco teacher who is helping us. :D

burnt_orange
Toucan
Toucan

07 Feb 2017, 1:22 pm

I'm sorry to hear you are having a hard time. My child has ASD too and the school has been slow to help. It can be overwhelming, it has been for me. But their is support here. Welcome.

Jwg
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Feb 2017, 4:12 pm

I'm sorry the school have been slow, Joe has struggled with ypthinfs for years, and the schools wouldn't act, he's now at high school and they are brilliant, we couldn't wish for any better.

kazanscube
Veteran
Veteran

12 Feb 2017, 7:00 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet may your stay here be very informative and helpful to you in finding resources to help your autistic in a most comprehensive manner.