Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Deepthought 7
Veteran
Veteran

19 May 2018, 6:22 pm

Since my childhood it has been a running joke in terms of my speaking that the accumulative dust of the ages tends to settle around me in increasing sedimentary layers: as leaves me stuck up to my neck in accumulative problems ~ such as amongst other stuff trying to work out who the dusty web-covered skeletons used to belong to! :wink:

funeralxempire
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 6:11 pm

It's a traitor's rag being thrown in the garbage - because that's where they belong. :wink:

The original version I made included the caption 'in order to make America great, start by taking out the trash' but it's unintelligible when scaled down so much.

"Many of us like to ask ourselves, What would I do if I was alive during slavery? Or the Jim Crow South? Or apartheid? What would I do if my country was committing genocide?' The answer is, you're doing it. Right now." —Former U.S. Airman (Air Force) Aaron Bushnell

drlaugh
Veteran
Veteran

21 May 2018, 6:28 pm

I’ve been reading The Batman since the were 12 cents each.

I also like to combine ideas. Thus the painting.

OhkaBaka
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

22 May 2018, 4:20 pm

I've been using a dummy avatar until I saw this post and finally got around to uploading my standard avatar.

Its all about my love for Japan, aircraft, haiku and perspective.

I have been in love with aircraft since I was a toddler. I'm particularly fond of aircraft around the second world war, when fighter planes still had style, and sky liners were classy and exclusive. Ford Tri-Motor, the Corsair, the Pan Am Clippers...

The aircraft in the picture is a Yokosuka MXY-7... a kamikaze rocket.

The Japanese called the MXY-7 "Ohka" which means "cherry blossom" referring to the explosion they made when they served their purpose. It reflects both the beauty of the eventual destruction, but also the glory of the sacrifice. In reference to something a young man had said of the special unit 80 years ago I wrote the haiku "If I was twenty; the day the sun came up red; Cherry blossoms fall"

The allies called the MXY-7 "Baka" which means "idiot"... because from the western warriors perspective, who else would sign up to fly a rocket into the side of a ship? It is the age-old "Don’t die for your dear country’s sake,
But let the other chap die for his" logic.
...it is also the first word of Japanese I ever recognized (in an episode DBZ where Trunksu mumbles it under his breath).

The kanji on the side is "OhkaBaka"... which has been my name online for almost 20 years.

Perspective is what keeps me sane. No matter what I do, someone out there is going to think it is idiotic, and someone is going to think its beautiful. Knowing they will both ALWAYS exist, no matter what, is keeps me level. Nothing I do can please everyone, nothing I can do will please no one.

The reflection on the water is me, smiling back with equal measure at those who think me beautiful and those who think me an idiot.

Kiprobalhato
Veteran
Veteran

22 May 2018, 4:37 pm

it means nothing.

you lose. good day sir.

לא לדעת כלום
וזה הכל אהובי, זה הכל.

xatrix26
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 6:26 am

I have a very strong compulsion towards music and my avatar is the latest album cover for Delerium's Mythologie album. Delerium is my second favorite all time music group.

Mozart being number one. Coincidentally, they're both Austrian in origin.

ADHD, OCD, and PTSD.

Keep calm and stim away. ;)

Daniel89
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 7:44 am

Mine is just from Chuck because its one of my favourite shows.

ChefDave
Raven
Raven

23 May 2018, 9:31 am

Since I am a chef instructor, I chose the fictional character Auguste Gusteau from the movie, Ratatouille, as my avatar. I originally thought about using Chef Skinner (from the same movie) as my avatar, but I didn't like him because he's petty and mean.

In contrast, Chef Auguste Gusteau's philosophy that everyone can cook was more aligned with my own personal philosophy as a Culinary Arts instructor. I think anyone can learn how to cook and bake if they apply themselves to learning what I have to teach. Since students are able to eat nearly everything that we produce in the kitchen, the students are usually motivated to succeed.

Pictured below is a ghost cupcake that my entry level Culinary I students learned how to make last October.

This ghost cupcake was made using a vanilla cupcake as a base. The students also made chocolate butter cream frosting, white fondant, and cinnamon-sugar doughnut holes.

Each cupcake was frosted. The frosting was used to hold the doughnut hole in place. The white fondant (made by melting marshmallows with powdered sugar, milk, and a touch of vanilla over a double boiler) was rolled out and cut into circles. After frosting the doughnut hole, the fondant was draped over it and black icing was used to give the ghost a face.

Last edited by ChefDave on 23 May 2018, 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

23 May 2018, 9:32 am

Chef Boyardee on steroids LOL