Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

GreySavoy
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2019, 4:29 pm

...this is yet another intro.

I know some witty things to say, and some jovial ones too. I looked at other posts to see if there was a norm to how these ought to be structured that might offer the most direct path to acceptance, even if I don't like having the desire to seek a path towards acceptance. However, I thought it best to save those approaches for other areas and instead try one that felt more right, even if I'm on the wrong planet.

Introductions come with the usual trepidation. What to say, how to say it. What is too much, what isn't. I've never fully understood the allegiance to first impressions, even as I am sure I cannot fully escape their impact. Too many variables exist to properly encapsulate an entity based on a single interaction. I can't tell what mine will be here and I usually can't in general. I hope it will be good enough; I always do, even as I try to parse what is belonging versus what is fitting in.

I'm in my early 40s and just discovering that I'm an Aspie. There is hesitation at laying claim to that title for self-identity. Am I Aspie enough? What if I am wrong? I read Cynthia Kim's book: Nerdy, Shy, and Socially Inappropriate, and it resonated so profoundly with me that the relief and emotion were palpable. The subsequent journey towards fully understanding is still new. It's what lead me here, for resources, possible connections, and perhaps to be understood, behind the masks worn for social survival. I like things in 3s and multiples thereof, 9s especially. The cadence of one thing, another, and a final one seems to resonate well with most humans. A tangent...

This is exposure, and exposure is difficult. It is a risk that I have found for most of my life, difficult to navigate for the requisite reward. Though it is a risk still undertaken, with caution from my years that brings a little more comfort than in my youth. Perhaps it is just as well that the weight of first impressions has never fully eclipsed the curiosity inherent in new opportunities.

Thank you for reading. I look forward to observing, interacting, and learning within this community.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 4:38 pm

Welcome in and have a nice virtual "Hug". Don't worry. You will fit in just fine. Type away at leasure! Carry on... :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 5:03 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

16 Sep 2019, 5:22 pm

Hi and welcome Grey :) ! You’re among friends here. Good to have you with us.

GreySavoy
Butterfly
Butterfly

16 Sep 2019, 7:44 pm

Thank you for the welcome messages. : )

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

17 Sep 2019, 8:34 am

Hi! Welcome to Wrong Planet!

If you're willing to let us know what country and what major metropolitan area you live in or near, someone here might be able to give you advice on seeking an adult ASD diagnosis in your area (not the easiest thing to find).

(Given your worries about acceptance here, I should assure you that it's entirely up to you whether you want to seek an official diagnosis in the first place. It's not required for participation here.)

Fury1630
Butterfly
Butterfly

17 Sep 2019, 1:30 pm

That, if I may be so bold, was a very impressive introduction. Welcome, I look forward to reading more. A smiley face hardly seems appropriate, but :D

larsenjw922862
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

17 Sep 2019, 3:51 pm

Welcome!

GreySavoy
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2019, 7:38 pm

Mona Pereth wrote:
If you're willing to let us know what country and what major metropolitan area you live in or near, someone here might be able to give you advice on seeking an adult ASD diagnosis in your area (not the easiest thing to find).

I am definitely curious about this and would be appreciative of any advice or resources anyone has to offer. Thank you :cat:

I am in the US in the San Francisco bay area.

GreySavoy
Butterfly
Butterfly

21 Sep 2019, 7:38 pm

Fury1630 wrote:
That, if I may be so bold, was a very impressive introduction. Welcome, I look forward to reading more. A smiley face hardly seems appropriate, but :D

Thank you kindly. :cat:

aquafelix
Veteran
Veteran

21 Sep 2019, 10:17 pm

Welcome, lots of late diagnosed types here.