Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 

mockford07
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2007, 12:57 pm

Hi everyone. I am a mother of 2 boys living in a small town in upstate New York. My eldest son who is 6, has just been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. He will enter 1st grade in September. Our CSE meeting is scheduled for Sept. 7th and I was wondering how to prepare for this meeting. Are there other parents living in NY that can provide me with some pointers? Our son is bright, happy and pleasant with great math, reading and writing skills. He does have a problem with attention, hand flapping and social cues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:04 pm

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

HankPym
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

13 Aug 2007, 1:52 pm

-can

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:56 pm

Hi!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

I hope you enjoy posting here!

michel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 1:57 pm

Hi I'm new! Just got on today...

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 2:19 pm

Welcome to you too!

Nan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 2:29 pm

mockford07 wrote:
Hi everyone. I am a mother of 2 boys living in a small town in upstate New York. My eldest son who is 6, has just been diagnosed with Asperger's Syndrome. He will enter 1st grade in September. Our CSE meeting is scheduled for Sept. 7th and I was wondering how to prepare for this meeting. Are there other parents living in NY that can provide me with some pointers? Our son is bright, happy and pleasant with great math, reading and writing skills. He does have a problem with attention, hand flapping and social cues. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Hi! Welcome.

I'm not in your area, but would like to mention that your son has a diagnosis that explains some behaviors and differences that he may have from many of the other children. That's all it is, an explanation. It's not a definition of who he is. There may be a tendency by some of the people with whom he will come in contact to try to think of him as his "label". You might want to gently, but with extreme firmness, remind them that you son is a child like any other who has some additional unique attributes.

As a generational Aspie (child of an Aspie and mother of an Aspie), I am happy for you that there is some sort of support system in the school. All the Aspies in my family made it through school without any intervention (it wasn't recognized as a "syndrome" at the time), and, though some of us had some problems along the way, we all made it. With the extra support your child should do just fine and have an easier time of it than we did.

Just remember to speak very plainly to him about what's going on, and to not let a facet of his personality blind you and those with whom he will be working to the rest of his character. Good luck.

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

13 Aug 2007, 5:04 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet Image

mockford07
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Aug 2007, 8:21 pm

Thank you all for the kind welcome!

Nan, Thank you for sharing your insight and great advice.

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2007, 8:30 pm

You are very welcome!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2007, 2:27 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!