New here. Can't believe there are so many people!

Page 2 of 2 [ 28 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Sep 2007, 12:38 pm

Hmm,

I didn't know there were any large concentrations anywhere. Do Aspies move there or were they born there like there was something in the water? Well, I don't know about Salt Lake City. I'm not a city person. I actually think that much of so-called "progress" is highly overrated. I think it's interesting too that we are a recognized subculture. Like I said, new to all of this. Thanks for the information.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

26 Sep 2007, 2:00 pm

Willowmay wrote:
Hmm,

I didn't know there were any large concentrations anywhere. Do Aspies move there or were they born there like there was something in the water? Well, I don't know about Salt Lake City. I'm not a city person. I actually think that much of so-called "progress" is highly overrated. I think it's interesting too that we are a recognized subculture. Like I said, new to all of this. Thanks for the information.

I wouldn't know because there hasn't been a census done and more importantly there just isn't enough information on AS (People in general don't seem to care all that much about it right now), well I'm not sure because I can't find any information on it so it might not actually be true, but the idea that I've got in my mind is that due to cultural differences and various other factors AS may be more or less common in any given country.

Science and "progress" are neither good nor evil they just are, they're ways that are used to better understand the world around us that can be used or misused to change the living standards of a community. Just imagine for example, if vaccines hadn't been invented, you could have died of Polio, or Tuberculosis, or some other horrible disease.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Sep 2007, 5:04 pm

I suppose you can't do much to change the modern world. Of course, you could still die of some horrible disease, not to mention old age. It's nice that we're living longer, but sometimes surviving and living aren't the same thing.

I just think people had things figured out better when we lived in small communities and didn't obsess about money. I probably romantisize it, but then again, we live in a world where you can do just about anything. Maybe we could live in the here and now and mix the best of that with the best of the past too. Who knows. All I know is that part of my Aspergers is not being able to put up with a lot of people around or lots of sights and sounds.

Deus_ex_machina
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 9:08 am

Yeah I understand what you mean by living and surviving, but people have been living as long as we have for centuries it's just that for a long time it's been more of a cultural thing, which meant that people didn't understand it (I'm refering to Asian countries like Japan).

You can't have everything, it seems you either get bigotry and "togetherness" or apathy and acceptance, generally speaking. Anyway why should you care if people you don't know buy things they don't need with money they don't have? Sure it might not be pretty but a lot of things aren't.

Well you can easily fix that up, sound proof your walls, order things through the internet, of course I'm not saying you should, just that you have more options than you seem to think you do.

"They do, but what do you think is on the radio? Meat sounds. You know how when you slap or flap meat, it makes a noise? They talk by flapping their meat at each other. They can even sing by squirting air through their meat." - Terry Bisson

jaydog
Veteran
Veteran

30 Sep 2007, 10:22 pm

welcome to wp. yeah sound proof your walls, and buy stuff from the internet ;0).

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 12:28 am

Willowmay wrote:
Hi, mine eyes and all,

Actually it may sound like sci-fi, but people are doing it all over the world. Look up intentional communities. Most people are about religion or saving the planet, which is cool with me, but I think alternative culture would be cool too. It would be interesting to see what the culture would be like. Would everyone bring their own cultures and turn it into a hodge podge thing or would the common Aspie experience turn it into something new. Anyway, an interesting thought. Maybe it will even happen some day!

I have lived in 'intentional' communities most of my life. Actually it is my prefered way of living. I don't know about living with Aspies, though. I am so used to NTs, it might be very strange to be with other people like me.

Merle

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

01 Oct 2007, 7:10 am

Nice to meet you, Willow :) .

TigersEye
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Oct 2007, 9:22 pm

I didn't realize there where this many either. Isn't it sweet.

Rynessa
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

02 Oct 2007, 12:01 am

Hey Willowmay,
I'm new to this site and Asperger's. I noticed you're into writing, which is awesome. I'm into writing too, and I've noticed quite a few people around here are into writing and art and photography...that kind of thing. When I started researching Asperger's, I kept finding articles that said people with Asperger's are all about math and science. I thought maybe it was a prerequisite, but I see it's not. Personally, I HATE math.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Oct 2007, 8:08 am

I dislike math intensely myself, I am not so hot about writing either, but it comes more easily than math!

Merle

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2007, 2:16 pm

Well, I think an Aspie colony is interesting, but I wouldn't want it to be exclusive anyway. That's kind of liking me feeling left out in the "real world." That's why I called it a Refuge for the Refuse. But I would definitely like to start some kind of community, even if it was only a few acres of my own and other people lived there.

Willowmay
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Oct 2007, 2:29 pm

Actually I hate math too. Writing I love and I've actually published one book. It only sold abut 60 copies. It's called Zero ONe Zero and is about a guy who finds out his life is a lie. It's kind of an action/sci-fi thing. You can check it out at Amazon. They haven't sold any, but it's there!