Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

twinklelight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

13 Oct 2024, 2:06 pm

Hi everyone,

My name is Berkay, and I’m a psychology student. Recently, I’ve been exploring the possibility that I might be on the autism spectrum. It’s something that has been on my mind after watching a clinical interview video for my homework assignment, which focused on autism. As I watched it, I noticed that the symptoms described were surprisingly accurate. That led me to dig deeper into research, and the more I looked, the more patterns I found that matched my own experiences. I also had an online autism spectrum quotient test that indicated significant autistic traits as 39 points out of a possible 50.

To give you a bit more context, I experienced delayed speech as a child—starting to talk at around 3 years old, but people couldn’t really understand me until I was 5. During preschool, I had communication difficulties and would often get frustrated, leading to incidents like hitting other kids. I also had strange fears, such as being terrified of veiled women, drawing them as witches and believing they would one day kidnap me. I even remember trying to choke myself a few times as a child because of the certainty of being kidnapped one day, although I never quite understood why I felt that way.

As I grew older, I continued to struggle with communication. I had a hard time making and keeping friends, and during middle and high school, I often felt isolated. I remember attending a science camp and trying to strike up a conversation with someone, asking which country he was from, only to be brushed off in a way that left me feeling alienated as he said "Do I look foreigner from there." and just left. To be honest, I didn't know the difference between "city" and "country" when I was 12... And I generally had similar unusual things and unsuccessful communications like that. Also looks like, I don't understand social cues like others do. This kind of thing happened a lot, and I often felt like I didn’t belong, either at school or generally whenever I went.

On top of these struggles, I’ve been dealing with depression for most of my life, and I suspect PTSD could be a factor as well. I’ve always had a huge difficulty connecting with others, especially maintaining long-term friendships. I put a lot of pressure on myself to be successful and to communicate “normally,” but it never seemed to work out.

I’ve also experienced specific hallucinations—mainly hypnopompic ones—where I wake up and see things that aren’t there. And as I dug into my research on autism, I started seeing other patterns that might relate to my experiences as a gay man. I have certain kinks and I’m pretty open about my sexuality, not feeling the usual social pressure to hide these things (as a person who lives in a highly homophobic country), but I also noticed that I’ve been manipulated and even bullied by people I was interested in without fully realizing it at the time. - Some studies show that non-heterosexuality and other sexual aspects I mentioned are more likely to exist around people diagnosed with autism)

I’ve had strong emotional attachments to certain objects for a long time. For instance, I collect Super Mario plush toys, and until 2021 (when I was 19), I would still sleep with my Luigi plush, making him “talk” and act alive. This sense of attachment feels deep, and honestly, I never really let go of it. Even now, I feel this strong emotional connection to these toys, and I think this is another aspect of who I am.

There’s also a specific existential discomfort I’ve felt for as long as I can remember. It’s hard to describe, but it’s like a sense of unease when I focus on people, their existence, and how fragile and interchangeable life feels. I’ve had this feeling overwhelmed by the realization of how easily we can be “broken” as humans. These thoughts have been with me since I was a child, but I’ve never really understood why I focus so much on these details and death too much even before had PTSD related to death.

All of this has left me wondering: Could autism be the answer to why I’ve always felt so different, disconnected, and misunderstood? It would explain so much—the communication difficulties, the emotional attachments, the specific fears and routines I had as a child, and the lifelong struggles with friendships and social connections. I’m still trying to understand myself better, and I’m hoping to find some clarity.

Thanks for reading this, I hope I will find a good therapist soon to clarify some things and I’d appreciate any insights from those of you who might relate or have been through similar experiences. I feel like getting some answers will help me understand myself more deeply, and hopefully, I’ll finally be able to ease up on the huge pressure I’ve put on myself to "fit in" all these years.

Carbonhalo
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2024, 3:02 pm

Hi Berkay and welcome to WP.
I think you'll learn a lot here

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2024, 4:18 pm

Welcome to WP!

Your AQ score suggests you probably are on the Autism Spectrum but it is not a formal diagnosis. And, keep in mind, the human mind is kind of complicated. You might be on the Autism Spectrum but eligible for other diagnoses in addition to that.

My AQ score was 40 (about the same as yours) and that is what convinced me it wasn't just my imagination. But I also knew it wasn't a formal diagnosis. AQ persuaded me it was reasonable for me to get a professional Adult Autism Assessment...and I did and now I can say my formal diagnosis is: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) with a note that I also satisfy the criteria previously associated with Asperger's Syndrome.

Personally, I would think your next step is to figure out whether an official diagnosis would benefit you or work against you. You are young. Would a formal diagnosis get you anything more than peace of mind? Would a formal diagnosis close any professional paths? (I retired when I was 56 and got my diagnosis when I was 64. The diagnosis satisfied my curiosity but I can't say it's done me much good.)

And whether you get a formal diagnosis, or not, or even if you late discover you are not Autistic, you still meet the criteria for staying on WP: an interest in the topic and some manners!

So, welcome to WP!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2024, 4:47 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

utterly absurd
Veteran
Veteran

13 Oct 2024, 7:47 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! I hope you enjoy it here.

Feel free to PM me--I like to talk about most things other than sports.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

14 Oct 2024, 6:10 am

welcome, you are in the right place to get some answers and insights from folks with lifetimes of experience. Glad you found us, about diagnosis and self recognition of autism, take your time, its a lot to sort!

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

twinklelight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Oct 2024, 11:51 am

Carbonhalo wrote:
Hi Berkay and welcome to WP.
I think you'll learn a lot here

Hi, thank you! I'm looking forward to learning and connecting with others here

twinklelight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Yesterday, 4:17 am

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Your AQ score suggests you probably are on the Autism Spectrum but it is not a formal diagnosis. And, keep in mind, the human mind is kind of complicated. You might be on the Autism Spectrum but eligible for other diagnoses in addition to that.

My AQ score was 40 (about the same as yours) and that is what convinced me it wasn't just my imagination. But I also knew it wasn't a formal diagnosis. AQ persuaded me it was reasonable for me to get a professional Adult Autism Assessment...and I did and now I can say my formal diagnosis is: Autism Spectrum Disorder, Level 1 (Mild) with a note that I also satisfy the criteria previously associated with Asperger's Syndrome.

Personally, I would think your next step is to figure out whether an official diagnosis would benefit you or work against you. You are young. Would a formal diagnosis get you anything more than peace of mind? Would a formal diagnosis close any professional paths? (I retired when I was 56 and got my diagnosis when I was 64. The diagnosis satisfied my curiosity but I can't say it's done me much good.)

And whether you get a formal diagnosis, or not, or even if you late discover you are not Autistic, you still meet the criteria for staying on WP: an interest in the topic and some manners!

So, welcome to WP!

Thank you for your warm welcome and for sharing your experience! It’s really helpful to hear from someone who’s gone through the process of getting a formal diagnosis. I feel like an official diagnosis would benefit me... I hadn’t really considered the possibility of a diagnosis potentially closing off professional paths, so that’s a great point, for psychology it may be difficult. I wasn’t really into pursuing psychology for a PhD or master's, I’ve always been more drawn to art-related studies like animation or graphic design. And interested in freelance opportunities, I remember deciding that would be the best path for me when I was in high school. In a way, it can be like a safe space where I can combine my passion for art with work that doesn’t require too much communication with people.

I was a bit worried that I might not reach many people, but I'm really glad to hear your welcoming messages and learn from your experiences., so thank you!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 7:46 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

You wrote: "These thoughts have been with me since I was a child, but I’ve never really understood why I focus so much on these details and death too much even before had PTSD related to death."

O.K. so let me try and explain things from my perspective. The human brain is composed of two parts. One on the right side of your skull and the other on the left side. They are two halves. The left side is the dominant daytime brain. The right side is a support brain that exist when we sleep. It is very active during REM and deep NREM sleep. Normally these two sides of the brain combine to become one brain around the age of 12 or 13 and we pass from being a child to becoming an adult. But for some of us we do not make that transition. Why is this?

Well in my humble opinion it is because we die before we reach that transition point. I suffered a severe brain injury when I was around 3 or 4. I was attacked by a large bull. It weighed over a thousand pounds and I weighed around 15 pounds. It was like being attacked by a dinosaur. I died and stood next to my dead body with my parents standing next to me in utter fear. But I came back. The right side of my brain came back and the left side had died. Over time, my left side came back and became my night time brain. It was a brain flip. That is why I am different. Why I feel like I was born on the Wrong Planet. I suspect that is why you are also different.

But being different is not necessarily all bad. I found that I have some unique skills that other people do not possess. It drives them crazy. The main approach is to learn to use your unique skills to overcome your weaknesses.

You wrote, "I’d appreciate any insights from those of you who might relate or have been through similar experiences. I feel like getting some answers will help me understand myself more deeply, and hopefully, I’ll finally be able to ease up on the huge pressure I’ve put on myself to "fit in" all these years."

That is the best insight I can offer you. I am 76 years old and still learning more and more and more. Figure out your unique strengths and then use them to overcome your unique weaknesses.

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 7:55 am

Welcome to WP!

Before internalising the pathologising paradigm of Autism as a dysfunction or disability (as illustrated by the use of language such as 'on the spectrum' and 'having Autism' etc) then I would recommend reading up on the concepts or neurodiversity, neurodivergence and identity.

As you will find, there is are a broad range of views among the membership here. Some view themselves as disordered or dysfunctional in some way whilst others view themselves as 'different' but normal and celebrate their Autistic identities.

Regardless of whom is saying what, this is always an interesting place to visit.

twinklelight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Yesterday, 9:19 am

jimmy m wrote:
Welcome to Wrong Planet.

You wrote: "These thoughts have been with me since I was a child, but I’ve never really understood why I focus so much on these details and death too much even before had PTSD related to death."

O.K. so let me try and explain things from my perspective. The human brain is composed of two parts. One on the right side of your skull and the other on the left side. They are two halves. The left side is the dominant daytime brain. The right side is a support brain that exist when we sleep. It is very active during REM and deep NREM sleep. Normally these two sides of the brain combine to become one brain around the age of 12 or 13 and we pass from being a child to becoming an adult. But for some of us we do not make that transition. Why is this?

Well in my humble opinion it is because we die before we reach that transition point. I suffered a severe brain injury when I was around 3 or 4. I was attacked by a large bull. It weighed over a thousand pounds and I weighed around 15 pounds. It was like being attacked by a dinosaur. I died and stood next to my dead body with my parents standing next to me in utter fear. But I came back. The right side of my brain came back and the left side had died. Over time, my left side came back and became my night time brain. It was a brain flip. That is why I am different. Why I feel like I was born on the Wrong Planet. I suspect that is why you are also different.

But being different is not necessarily all bad. I found that I have some unique skills that other people do not possess. It drives them crazy. The main approach is to learn to use your unique skills to overcome your weaknesses.

You wrote, "I’d appreciate any insights from those of you who might relate or have been through similar experiences. I feel like getting some answers will help me understand myself more deeply, and hopefully, I’ll finally be able to ease up on the huge pressure I’ve put on myself to "fit in" all these years."

That is the best insight I can offer you. I am 76 years old and still learning more and more and more. Figure out your unique strengths and then use them to overcome your unique weaknesses.

Thank you for your message! It sounds like a very interesting perspective on death. Firstly I am sorry to hear you experienced that awful close-to-death situation. I see lots of people who survived death mention seeing yourself away from the body. But I haven't experienced such an event, I couldn't correspond with me. But as I have learned from my neuroscience lecture the brain hemispheres don't exactly work like that separately since the beginning but are way more complex. Maybe, instead, we can talk about some key areas of the brain such as the amygdala or temporal lobes, but still, they also are always connected even if some areas can be labelled for their specific functions. Our prefrontal cortex might work differently than others as having difficulties processing social cues and making decisions might be related to that. The amygdala in processing emotions might related to heightened anxiety, feeling intense emotions or sometimes vice versa up to the complexity of the person. So I'm not sure about brain flip but it might be correct in some points, who knows?

It's such a great feeling to learn more and discover new things about yourself every day. I'm happy to discuss these things here, and I like what you said in the last sentence about figuring out our unique strengths, it's really precious.

twinklelight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Yesterday, 9:45 am

Velorum wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Before internalising the pathologising paradigm of Autism as a dysfunction or disability (as illustrated by the use of language such as 'on the spectrum' and 'having Autism' etc) then I would recommend reading up on the concepts or neurodiversity, neurodivergence and identity.

As you will find, there is are a broad range of views among the membership here. Some view themselves as disordered or dysfunctional in some way whilst others view themselves as 'different' but normal and celebrate their Autistic identities.

Regardless of whom is saying what, this is always an interesting place to visit.

Thank you!
I agree with your point, I don't support internalizing the traditional view of autism as a disability to be "fixed". Recently I have started to read more studies and planning to do more readings on neurodiversity and other concepts you mentioned.

I feel relieved after being able to name my uniqueness that I have autism and also grateful to be myself. I always had issues accepting myself as I am, and always blamed and put too much pressure on myself as possibly related to my mom, teachers and others who wanted me to be socially "normal". Now, I see the high internal pressure on me is decreasing, I understand why I feel or act these ways without judging myself, and I've started looking at myself from a different and health perspective. I'm glad that I experience the world differently and that my unique way of thinking has allowed me to be creative.

P. Zombie
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

Yesterday, 9:48 am

Hey ho!

I'm also in a situation where I try to see what in my life can be explained by autism, what can be explained by autistic traits interacting with other stuff etc. I also planned to have a visit with a therapist, but got sick instead :wink: I hope there are some good ones where you live - many professionals still have quite outdated ideas about autism.

You can check this book (if you haven't already):
Is This Autism? A guide for clinicians and everyone else by Donna Henderson and others (I'm everyone else, so I can read it).
It goes through diagnostic criteria, but uses normal language, not a clinical jargon, with examples and contributions from autistic people. Maybe you'll find something useful.

Good luck!

Either overthink or don't think at all - there's no middle way.

twinklelight
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

Yesterday, 10:11 am

P. Zombie wrote:
Hey ho!

I'm also in a situation where I try to see what in my life can be explained by autism, what can be explained by autistic traits interacting with other stuff etc. I also planned to have a visit with a therapist, but got sick instead :wink: I hope there are some good ones where you live - many professionals still have quite outdated ideas about autism.

You can check this book (if you haven't already):
Is This Autism? A guide for clinicians and everyone else by Donna Henderson and others (I'm everyone else, so I can read it).
It goes through diagnostic criteria, but uses normal language, not a clinical jargon, with examples and contributions from autistic people. Maybe you'll find something useful.

Good luck!

Hello!
Back then, I took some therapy years ago but I was not satisfied at all :( So, I am pretty stressed about finding a good therapist this time. I hope everything goes well both of us!

And thanks a lot for the book recommendation, I just checked it out, it hasn't been translated in my country but I could find it in English on Storytel. I’m sure it’ll be helpful

Good luck to you too!

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 11:31 am

Hello. This is going to be a journey for you. It can be both exciting, because you're discovering yourself, and sad, because of all the years lost and suffering experienced to simply not knowing.

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

Velorum
Veteran
Veteran

Yesterday, 12:24 pm

twinklelight wrote:
Velorum wrote:
Welcome to WP!

Thank you!
I agree with your point, I don't support internalizing the traditional view of autism as a disability to be "fixed". Recently I have started to read more studies and planning to do more readings on neurodiversity and other concepts you mentioned.

I feel relieved after being able to name my uniqueness that I have autism and also grateful to be myself. I always had issues accepting myself as I am, and always blamed and put too much pressure on myself as possibly related to my mom, teachers and others who wanted me to be socially "normal". Now, I see the high internal pressure on me is decreasing, I understand why I feel or act these ways without judging myself, and I've started looking at myself from a different and health perspective. I'm glad that I experience the world differently and that my unique way of thinking has allowed me to be creative.

Thats great to hear! :)