The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 664 of 1007 [ 16106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 661, 662, 663, 664, 665, 666, 667 ... 1007  Next

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 6:05 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
sartresue wrote:
Is your friend on the Spectrum? I have noticed some challenged people whose voices are embarrassingly loud. Ignoring them makes them louder. And this is a rude thing to do to a friend.

No, she is not on the Spectrum. She is very emotional, though. And thoroughly NT. One of the things that makes me like her, though, is that she is sensitive to some of the same things I am. She just happens to speak loudly when she gets enthusiastic. I have told her about my Asperger's, and she has seen how I panic when a siren goes by, or a loud motorcycle. I did something rather awkward the other day, too. We were sitting near a public building and she was speaking very loudly about a rather embarrassing topic. I remembered that I had seen a child sitting out of sight, and asked her to lower her voice because I didn't want the child to hear. She seemed to get annoyed at me, and said something about not caring what others thought. Why is it so hard to ask her to lower her voice just for me? :?

Probably because that wasn't just for you. You said you didn't want the child to here.

I think when you mention her talking too loud, you should just stick to how it makes you feel.

If she cannot respect that, I think you will need to just walk away.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Mar 2008, 6:11 pm

Thanks, Nan. I'll try that. It'll be better that way,so that I won't feel like I'm "having a go at her," the way nannarob so aptly phrased it. BTW, nannarob, that is so funny, about the anatomy class. :lol:

I think I embarrassed my daughter and her male friend once, when they were both about 17 years old. For some reason, I started reciting Walt Whitman's poem, "Oh, Hymen, oh Hymenee," while standing in the check-out line in the supermarket. When I saw the poor boy's face go bright red, I realized I had just indulged in an Aspie moment. :oops:

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 6:17 pm

hartzofspace wrote:
Thanks, Nan. I'll try that. It'll be better that way,so that I won't feel like I'm "having a go at her," the way nannarob so aptly phrased it. BTW, nannarob, that is so funny, about the anatomy class. :lol:

I think I embarrassed my daughter and her male friend once, when they were both about 17 years old. For some reason, I started reciting Walt Whitman's poem, "Oh, Hymen, oh Hymenee," while standing in the check-out line in the supermarket. When I saw the poor boy's face go bright red, I realized I had just indulged in an Aspie moment. :oops:

hahahaha I think I do something like that about everyday.

I remember one time I sat down next to a coworker of mine. She said she was taking a break, so I sat down to keep her company.

But when I tried to say that, I flubbed it.

I said "Well, I guess I'll just stay here and keep you from being lonely."

"Er... I mean you're a lovely person and I don't want you to be lonely."

Or I said something akin to that that made all my other co-workers laugh.

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 8:18 pm

[plan A] And then, alas, we have people that walk the face of the earth that speak loudly just to draw attention to themselves. If the subject is them 95% of the time and voice is carrying a good distance, you won't loose anyone that matters and they won't tone it down anyway. Speak the truth, it bothers you to the point of anxiety...even when you aren't with her, or till this is resolved. She will make the decision and based on it, you will be better off which ever it is, unless she just ignores you and then rest assured, she's the first type I mentioned. No need to run if she's this type, but move fast, trouble loves this kind of person. If she's this type and she has an enemy's book, get a look at it, those on it would probably make the better friends.

[plan B] Other than that, I recommend the Mistress Nanny, Baby BallGagger, it comes in colors, very stylish and also includes ear plugs. Although in this case, I would go Mistress Iamdaboss BallGagger, not as many color choices, but bigger. Ear plugs sold separate with this rig. Pacifiers work too, but so easy to spit out if they really aren't in the mood. I tried and used both with my kids, both worked. Although sometimes I had to duck tape the pacifiers in their little mouths. I won't tolerate spitting out of my offspring. Unfortunately with adults you'll need (sometimes) the matching set of lace covered hand cuffs, rather pricey, but hey, sometimes you just got to spend the bucks for a little rest and relaxation. The giving of such a gift could possibly send the wrong message to her, as in, I want you as more than a friend.

Optional choices, obviously.

I do wonder if she might have a hearing problem. She might be very unaware of it.

DeaconBlues
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 8:30 pm

postpaleo wrote:
I won't tolerate spitting out of my offspring.

Personally, if someone were in the position where they could spit out my offspring, I'd really prefer they do so...

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 11:08 pm

DeaconBlues wrote:
Personally, if someone were in the position where they could spit out my offspring, I'd really prefer they do so...

... and preferably with no teeth marks on 'em, kthx. :lol:

As mother of kids who sometimes seem to be missing their "off" switches and the volume control, I've given up on subtlety. Screaming at them is useless, of course; they merely dial 'er up a few notches in response. So I've taken to using sign language. I hold my hands out flat, palms down, and lower them in imitation of the sliders on a graphic equaliser, accompanied by my best pained expression. Sometimes it works. If several repetitions of this tactic have no effect, I leave the room. In really extreme instances, I pop in the foam-rubber earplugs and voilà, peace and quiet!

Obviously this is only a short-term solution. It's better when everyone agrees that less is more, only one person gets to speak at a time, headphones can be worn while playing games, and the TV set does not need to be heard in every room of the house. But in the heat of the moment, we often forget.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2008, 11:13 pm

My dad used to keep the tv up so loud you could hear it all over a two-story house.

Sorry, I just thought I WOULD MENTION THAT!!

WHY ARE YOU ALL REACTING LIKE YOUR IN PAIN. I CAN'T BE TOO LOUD, CAN I?! !! ! :P

Okay, so I sometimes have a loud voice. With me, I[m just not conscious of it.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

31 Mar 2008, 11:38 pm

postpaleo wrote:
[plan B] Other than that, I recommend the Mistress Nanny, Baby BallGagger, it comes in colors, very stylish and also includes ear plugs. Although in this case, I would go Mistress Iamdaboss BallGagger, not as many color choices, but bigger. Ear plugs sold separate with this rig. Pacifiers work too, but so easy to spit out if they really aren't in the mood. I tried and used both with my kids, both worked. Although sometimes I had to duck tape the pacifiers in their little mouths. I won't tolerate spitting out of my offspring. Unfortunately with adults you'll need (sometimes) the matching set of lace covered hand cuffs, rather pricey, but hey, sometimes you just got to spend the bucks for a little rest and relaxation. The giving of such a gift could possibly send the wrong message to her, as in, I want you as more than a friend.

:lmao: Thanks, Postie!

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Apr 2008, 1:55 am

lurking :D

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:15 am

Volume control topic

This thread is becoming very loud. I am wearing ear plugs and covering my ears, but oh well... :lol:

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 7:39 am

yeah i know i should be studying but ...
i dyed my hair ...
http://www.wrongplanet.net/postp1312052.html#1312052

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:20 am

lemon wrote:
i dyed my hair ...

Did you dye it lemon colored? hahaha

It's pretty.

hartzofspace
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Apr 2008, 3:34 pm

lemon wrote:
i dyed my hair ...

That color is wonderfully becoming, Lemon! Very pretty!

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 3:42 pm

Wow. Lemon! Nice hair and nice smile!

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

01 Apr 2008, 4:32 pm

lemon wrote:
i dyed my hair ...

Nice...Image

I'm just lurking and stimming......Image

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:12 pm

Thousand-Hand Buddhist (beautiful)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SoPihLdq4&feature=related[/youtube]