The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 665 of 1007 [ 16106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 662, 663, 664, 665, 666, 667, 668 ... 1007  Next

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 6:16 pm

Richie, you are a pathfinder with your emoticons!

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:17 pm

You're new hair colour is beautiful, Lemon! It's so vibrant and alive!

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2008, 11:18 pm

Enya - May It Be

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hitAHKGqJZI[/youtube]

FutureCatLady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2008, 11:57 pm

Good evening (or morning as it may be). I'm brand new to these parts. The youngsters made it their mission to point me in this direction. I'm 48, only now learning that I may very well be kin to the Asperger's family.
I'm a single woman who loves her art and her cat.
I hope you don't mind if I hang out a while and take in the ambience of the Cafe. 8)

FutureCatLady
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Apr 2008, 11:58 pm

And, BlessedMom, I'm a long time fan of Enya. Thanks for that posting!

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:01 am

blessedmom wrote:
Thousand-Hand Buddhist (beautiful)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24SoPihLdq4&feature=related[/youtube]

Wow.

Boys and girls, can you say "perseveration"? (Duck!! ! Incoming exposition!) :D

The dance of "Guan Yin of the Thousand Arms" is here performed by the China Disabled People's Performing Art Troupe. These 21 young men and women are all deaf and mute.
Quote:
Tai and her dance team members, 11 girls and 9 boys, cannot hear the music, but their four instructors, who can hear and speak, signal the rhythm of the music from four corners of the room. With diligent practice, their performance is nearly flawless.

Read more here.

Guan Yin (also Kwan Yin, Kannon (Japanese) and Avalokiteśvara (Sanskrit)) is the Bodhisattva of Compassion.
Quote:
One Buddhist legend presents Guan Yin as vowing never to rest until she had freed all sentient
beings from Samsara. Despite strenuous effort, she realized that still many unhappy beings were yet to be saved. After struggling to comprehend the needs of so many, her head split into eleven pieces. Amitabha Buddha, seeing her plight, gave her eleven heads with which to hear the cries of the suffering. Upon hearing these cries and comprehending them, Avalokiteśvara attempted to reach out to all those who needed aid, but found that her two arms shattered into pieces. Once more, Amitabha came to her aid and appointed her a thousand arms with which to aid the many.

Read more here.

Depictions of Guan Yin show her with hands and arms held in various mudrās, or ritual gestures. Mudrā has a long and rich history in human culture, from the ritual poses of hands in a Buddha statue, to the symbolic gestures of a Catholic priest celebrating Mass, to the speaking hands of the Hula dancers of Polynesia.

Sign languages for the deaf might even be thought of as a highly-evolved system of mudrās.

Thank you for posting that, blessedmom. 8)

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:31 am

FutureCatLady, pleased to make your acquaintance. :)

postpaleo
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 1:06 am

Well well well, new meat, err, I mean welcome to the cafe, Oh Lady with beaucoup cats in her future.

There is ambiance in here? Does it eat a lot? Does it steal covers in the night? It had better stop lurking and speak up. I will not tolerate such goings on. Maybe we should open a window and let the place air out?

Yeah I saw the reference that misguided you here, something with a dire warning about crazy people. Bah, I'm saving crazy for when I get bored.

So would you like a muffin while you take in the ambiance? I must warn you, there are good muffins and there are evul muffins. Good muffins taste good and like to be ate, even when they come by the dozen. Evul muffins are easy to spot, for they sit on tables and everybody knows you should not sit on a table. I know these things because my friends, the squirrels, told me so. Hey!! Don't even tell me you think that's crazy. I know you'd pay attention if a squirrel told you the same thing.

Welcome aboard Sailor.

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 1:35 am

Lurking and stimming

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 5:10 am

Hello. As an "oldie" 47 someone said I should say "Hi" here. I think I've got Aspie - only self diagnosed a couple of days ago, but it sure explains a hell of a lot about my life and personality.

On a slightly embarrassing note I was reading some of the posts here and clicked the movie link someone had posted for the thousand hand buddha. I sat there thinking how pretty it looked enjoying the little circle of dots going round and round - then realised that it was the "busy" icon in Firefox. Duh! I must be in the right place then :-)

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 8:30 am

ow ow, all these compliments, can i hide under the table ?
(i thought to say nothing at all, but that seemed a little unpolite, now i took my courage, and sjooouufff,
right under the table)

*waves with a little flag to the newcomers, enchanté !*

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 10:29 am

Do we know the muffins, man? topic

I did not know muffins were capable of certain behaviours. I have heard of muffins with handles, muffins with chocolate chips, muffins with gravy and muffins with coffee, but not ones with intentions, good or bad. Now I will have to watch out! :twisted:

I have terrible fashion sense. I can tolerate cat hair better than dyed hair. But I hope lemon is happy with her new 'do.

richie, where is Jumping Dragon? Maybe I will put him in my posts!

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 10:48 am

TallyMan wrote:
Hello. As an "oldie" 47 someone said I should say "Hi" here. I think I've got Aspie - only self diagnosed a couple of days ago, but it sure explains a hell of a lot about my life and personality.

On a slightly embarrassing note I was reading some of the posts here and clicked the movie link someone had posted for the thousand hand buddha. I sat there thinking how pretty it looked enjoying the little circle of dots going round and round - then realised that it was the "busy" icon in Firefox. Duh! I must be in the right place then :-)

Welcome TallyMan ( Hey! Mr. TallyMan, tally me banana! (daylight come and me wan' go home!)

we all had that 'aHA!' moment, and as staggering as it was to each of us, when we look back at it, it seems such a little mundane thing that set off the cascade of events that lead to a greater awareness of ourselves than we have ever had!

To me it was as if the mother ship ( in Close Encounters of the Third Kind) opened up and all of us old Aspies walk out of the belly of the ship.

Merle

TallyMan
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 11:26 am

Hello sinsboldly

I can't believe you came out with that song! It is one of those that gets stuck in my head and refuses to leave. I think others have named such things "ear worms". I've only got to see a jar of mayonaise to start singing (inwardly usually) Mayo, mayo, (instead of Dayo) hello Mr Tallyman tally my banana... So perhaps not the best choice of name :-) I picked it because I'm always counting - seemed appropriate for this forum.

Yes, I can relate to the "aha moment". I've been reading posts in this and the other forums - I could have written lots of those angst-ridden posts myself. It is just a real pity that it has taken until this age for a diagnosis. Until now everyone just thought I was strange. Here everyone is as strange as me and not strange at all - if that make sense!

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:54 pm

SleepyDragon wrote:
Wow.

Boys and girls, can you say "perseveration"? (Duck!! ! Incoming exposition!) :D

Thank you for posting that, blessedmom. 8)

:lol: :lol: :D I know good perseveration material when I see it. :wink:

I'm still busy with the one I developed with Etsy, which led to a knitting/ crocheting community called Ravelry, which led to a forum of knitters with Asperger's and another for ADHD knitters. (THANKS, KREX!! :twisted: )

I always wonder who will take an interesting post and run with it! :D

Last edited by blessedmom on 02 Apr 2008, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

02 Apr 2008, 12:58 pm

Hello FutureCatLady and Tallyman! It's very nice to meet you both.

(Enya is also the favorite of a few others who post here, along with Loreena McKennitt.)