The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 673 of 1007 [ 16106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 670, 671, 672, 673, 674, 675, 676 ... 1007  Next

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 6:42 am

I stopped smoking in 1975, having by that time acquired a 50-plus per day habit. I wouldn't presume to say that my way was easier or better than any other way. The point is: it worked for me in that time and place. I'm skeptical that there is a one-size-fits-all method which guarantees success for everyone.

The author of the Wiki article wrote:
Carr also wrote a number of other How to books, on subjects such as losing weight and controlling alcohol consumption. The combined publishing effort and global clinic network built him a £120 million fortune[1].

ouinon wrote:
Don't go and get hooked on pills, plasters/patches or any other scam making money on the backs of vulnerable people

Couldn't agree more, ouinon. :)

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 8:02 am

SleepyDragon wrote:
I stopped smoking in 1975, having by that time acquired a 50-plus per day habit. I wouldn't presume to say that my way was easier or better than any other way. The point is: it worked for me in that time and place. I'm skeptical that there is a one-size-fits-all method which guarantees success for everyone.

Which is why it's so vital not to scare people with myths about how chemically addictive it is. It just makes it harder for people.

Dramatic talk about "the difficulties", the agonies, the "terrible withdrawal", is the opposite of helpful. It increases fear. It makes people feel even more helpless, powerless, and like they will need masses of crutches to do it.

I get so angry at people making it sound hard because of the chemical addiction involved. The chemical addiction is of little importance compared to the psychological dependency.

The author of the Wiki article wrote:
Carr ... The combined publishing effort and global clinic network built him a £120 million fortune[1].

I never paid for anything ( drug or book or treatment or counselling) to help me to stop smoking. Nor am I recommending that anyone else do so, far from it. I just found it very interesting that a scheme which has helped thousands stop smoking works on exactly the same principles that I had worked out myself. :D

And that his method spread by word of mouth, and for free, for a couple of years because of its success, before anyone began charging for it.

PS: Just because something makes a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean that the original idea/analysis/approach is wrong, or a scam.

8)

lau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 8:21 am

ouinon wrote:
Smelena wrote:
ouinon wrote:
It's precisely because there is almost no chemical satisfaction in smoking that it is so susceptible to psychological addiction.
:roll: I'll just phone Renee Bittoun and tell her that the last 30 years of research and clinical experience she has conducted is wrong.
nannarob wrote:
Are you an expert on smoking addiction, Ouinon? Or are you only speaking from your own experience?

Well, it is a conclusion based on my own independent experience ,( which i had thought about a lot in trying to understand the phenomenon of smoking, and addiction in general) , so it was very interesting to find that it is almost identical to the analysis by Allen Carr, in his internationally acclaimed method to stop smoking, as described by Wiki, at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allen_Carr

8)

So, we should take more notice of Allen Carr, an unqualified person who made a £120 million fortune out of selling books and counselling on giving up, before dying of lung cancer, possibly as a result of secondary smoking (20 years of allowing clients to smoke during his counselling sessions), than of someone who has any qualifications or scientific support?

I stopped smoking, 2 1/2 years ago, by... stopping. I know that method doesn't work for most people. I'm still a smoker - just not smoking at the moment. My 45 years of smoking have now been interrupted by this 2.5 year gap, another 1.5 year gap, a shorter months-long gap and a few odd days. When last I was smoking, I was in the 40-45 a day bracket. Next time I start, I will be in the 45-50 bracket, I expect, judging by past experience.

lau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 8:27 am

ouinon wrote:
PS: Just because something makes a lot of money doesn't necessarily mean that the original idea/analysis/approach is wrong, or a scam.

8)

PS. Is there any real, independent, non-anecdotal data on Alan Carr's method?

PPS. I was going to look at the website, but I never bother with websites that require Flash.

sartresue
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 9:15 am

Smelena wrote:
krex wrote:
Thank you Sartruse...I have never heard of this and will do a goggle. I know that many people have quit cold turkey but the few times I have tried it was not good...I quit alcohol and soda that way without much problem but the cigs...I have panic attacks even considering not smoking..literally,just the words quit leave me shaking.

I think part of my problem is cognitive as I am very afraid of going "insane". All my energy goes into jus keeping on funtional level so I can go to work and pay my rent and not end up homeless....maybe some RET therepy would help,now that I know I'm aspie. I am considering it.I really,realy want to quit,it effects my life in so many negative ways. I think I am coming close to "trying again",it seems to cycle with me.

Tahnk you all for your advice and information,I really appriciate it. :D

Hello krex,

I work as a Pulmonary Rehabilitation Coordinator. One of my roles is smoking cessation.

Quitting cold turkey is incredibly difficult and has 3 - 5% success rate.

To quit smoking you need to address the physiological addition to nicotine + psychological addiction.

There are medications out there to help with smoking cessation. One drug that is new to Australia (been around in the USA longer) is Varenicline.

An older smoking cessation drug is Zyban that started off life as an anti-depressant. It didn't work very well as an anti-depressant but in approximately 1/3 of patients was a 'magic fairy dust' .... they lost urge to smoke and quit. In another 1/3 of patients it reduces cravings for cigarettes.

Chuck, can you talk more about Varinicline and Zyban. I am by no means an expert in pharmacology!

If medications are not the way to go, I strongly recommend Nicotine Replacement Therapy.

Nicotine is more addictive than heroin! It is superbly addictive because .... within 10 seconds of inhaling you get your 'hit' to your brain. Within 40 minutes your nicotine blood levels have dropped and you get all sorts of awful withdrawls.

To turn off the nicotine receptors in the brain you need to keep your nicotine blood levels stable for a minimum of 7 weeks. This involves the use of nicotine patches, gum, lozenges.

You can smoke and use patches. You can use patches and gum and lozenges.

Renee Bittoun is our Australian guru of smoking cessation. At any conference that she speaks at there is a revered silence when she first gets on stage. (She also speaks 6 languges fluently .... hmmm she's intelligent, an expert in her field ..... is she Aspie? :lol:

Renee Bittoun is editor of 'The Journal of Smoking Cessation'.

Many smokers have not succeeded in quitting using a single nicotine replacement mode. An algorithm was developed for clinicians to enhance success rates when recommending nicotine
replacement therapy (NRT) to smoking patients. The algorithm is based on clinical experience with
chronic smokers with respiratory illnesses attending one-on-one smokers clinics in the Central Sydney Area Health Service. Based on transdermal nicotine therapy (patch) other forms of NRT are added if required for ‘breakout’ smoking for 2 weeks. Outcomes have shown 60% confirmed continuous abstinence at 3 months. Smokers can be safely and successfully treated symptomatically for nicotine withdrawal relief using combination NRT aggressively

http://www.australianacademicpress.com.au/Publications/Journals/smoke_cessation/JSC_Bittoun.pdf

Renee is in the process of double-blind trials.

I hope this information is a useful beginning.

Helen

No smoke, no mirrors topic

Dear Helen:

I suppose I am one of the 3%-5% of people who were able to quit cold turkey. I have a very strong personality (as some of you may have noticed) and I was determined to quit. For six weeks I had major meltdowns during withdrawal. There were no patches then, no Zyban. Just nicotine gum. I tried it and I felt dizzy. And it was very expensive. So this is why I quit cold turkey. After 6 weeks i I felt great. No more huffing and puffing as I ran up the stairs. And iIdid not gain more than 2.5 kilos, which I lost after being able to do more physical activity. I chewed gum, drank water, coffee, tea. I avoided anyone who smoked (which was easy, since I did not socialize anyway). I will be having a major celebration when reach the thirty year mark (I have never celebrated it before). And the money I saved, or at least did not spend! (I have never used alcohol either. Ever.)

But all in all, it is a hard thing to do. Even with my strong personality! :D

Phuture Phounder of the Philosophy Phactory

NOT a believer of Mystic Woo-Woo

Gromit
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 10:38 am

sinsboldly wrote:
Back in the day (ask your mother, dear Smelena) I would use that wide ( 42 inch) pallet wrapping plastic wrap and wrap them tight around very willing men and women.
We also used a twin sized water bed bladder with a vacuum cleaner attached. One would slip into the bladder that had a folded seal and a face hole cut out at one end. The seal would be fixed and the vacuum turned on and the air sucked out of the bag causing the decompresser to be evenly compressed to just the right amount and the vacuum turned off, effectively shrink wrapping the decompresser.

That sounds just like vacuum bagging, a method for building light weight composite structures.

I had heard allusions to people doing something with cling film, but no one ever explained to me what it was. I never would have thought the aim was to find out what the first moments in the life of a composite panel feel like.

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 11:45 am

lau wrote:
There is very little. The studies in smoking cessation have concentrated almost exclusively on drug related approaches, because that's where the funding is of course.

However I found one small study by Jonathan Foulds at :

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/smoking ... uit-2.html

which found a 26-47% cessation rate at one month, and 25-26% cessation rate at 8 months.

These are lower than the figure of 53% quoted by Allen Carr in an interview with ASH, based on two small independent peer reviewed studies, but which apparently are unreliable for some reason. :?:

However, as a health professional, one of those to whom Foulds sent his survey, says, this is nevertheless much better than the 15% cessation rate at 6 months using "best practice services" in the UK, and that coverage, publicity, and provision for drug-free cessation-methods suffer from the classic medical research bias; there's no money in swift behavioural therapies. :(

8)

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 12:34 pm

I quit a 2 pack a day (3 when I was married :D ) 26 year old habit by using the "Chantix" Krex. It was painless and as I abhor pain of any kind it worked out perfectly for me.
One of the Drs. I was waiting on the day I decided to "give it a go" asked me if I'd heard of it, I said "No, whats it do?" (I don't like to take prescriptions of ANY kind) He explained to me how it goes in to the nicotine receptor sites in the brain and fills them with synthetic nicotine. (Nicotine is EXTREAMLY chemically addictive period) That way your body still THINKS its getting nicotine, while its actually becoming un-addicted. Your supposed to take it 3 months, I took it about a month and a half and the side effect of "vivid dreams" was EXCELLENT :D
Your supposed to smoke for the first week on it but by the 4th day smoking was completely unsatisfying and I only smoked 3 cigs that 4th day. It does require a little will-power to make yourself not smoke just because "its a hard habit to break" but your never "jonesing for a smoke" and its painless. I'm saving over $300.00 a month and I FEEL great, I haven't had a smoke in over a year and a half I think, and while they still smell good(I sniff my customers and tell them they smell like ambrosia, they love hearing someone likes the smell of smoke) They all went thru the process with mer and cheered me on and I feel Dr. Clark saved my life.
Two other people at work ghave quit using it also, and I heard it has something like a 40-50 % sucess rate.
I can get you a script for it for free up here, and its only $100.00 a month at Costco (for the first month, the second month was only $10.00)and I bet your spending that on cigarettes right now? If you want to give it a go let me know.
I quit cold turkey once for 2 years and the first 3 weeks of that were living hell, the patch and the gum still keep you addicted to nicotine, just in a different form. This truly was PAINLESS.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 12:57 pm

reika wrote:
Chantix...I heard it has something like a 40-50 % sucess rate.

One year cessation rate of the Chantix group treatments : 22.1% and for Zyban: 16.4%. Article at:

http://www.medpagetoday.com/Pulmonary/S ... PD/tb/3276

8)

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 1:28 pm

oh, my bad, I never check anything :D
Regardless, it's so much better than the "Cold Turkey Sucess Rate" As for "Chemical Satisfaction"

Nicotine acts on receptors normally used by one of the main neurotransmitters in the brain and nervous system (acetylcholine). Neurotransmitters are the "chemical messengers" released by nerve cells to communicate with other cells by altering their electrical activity.

The body responds to nicotine at these receptors as if it was the natural transmitter (acetylcholine) and the activity and physiological functions of many brain systems are altered.

With repeated nicotine dosage the body adapts to what it regards as extra acetylcholine in an attempt to restore normal function. One way it does this is to grow more acetylcholine receptors.

Thus nicotine induces structural as well as functional changes in the brain of smokers. When nicotine is suddenly withdrawn, physiological functions in the brain and other parts of the body are disturbed. This is known as withdrawal syndrome. It takes time for the body to readjust to functioning normally without nicotine.

If only closed minds came with closed mouths. Lau: "But where would they put their feet?" Postpaleo: "Up their ass."

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 1:38 pm

reika wrote:
Regardless, it's so much better than the "Cold Turkey Success Rate"...
ouinon wrote:
lau wrote:
There is very little. The studies in smoking cessation have concentrated almost exclusively on drug related approaches, because that's where the funding is of course. However I found one small study by Jonathan Foulds at :

http://www.healthline.com/blogs/smoking ... uit-2.html

which found a 26-47% cessation rate at one month, and 25-26% cessation rate at 8 months.
:D

With reference to Chantix there are serious doubts about its inoccuousness. See the 93 page thread on "Muscle and joint pains after taking Chantix" at :

http://forums.wrongdiagnosis.com/showthread.php?t=2301 ... ( it just linked! :D )

a mass of worried people with a lot of side effects. And the recommendation not to take it longer than 10 days, if that, just to get over the worst. Apparently not only does Chantix bind to nicotine receptors but also to H2C3 ( ? ) receptors which when malfunction are already known to be involved in a "muscle joints and pain" disease. ( myofibril, fibrilmylagia ? can't remember)

:? :(

ouinon
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 2:07 pm

Short break.

We want the finest wines available to humanity. We want them here and we want them now.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0094336/quotes

:D

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 2:29 pm

Went and read a few pages at the link...interesting. That's too bad for some, and I never knew about the "Thyroid issue" until now.
I can only speak for myself and I felt great, of course I only took it for a month and a half and in the 2nd week when your supposed to go up to two pills a day,I stayed at one. ( I REALLY try not to take any kind of medication) I also was skipping days of the pills on and off ( by the 3rd and 4th week) because I didnt want to become "dependent" on them either. Now that I reflect back on it I did feel a little "Manic" when I'd not taken a pill for a couple days, but I figured that was just my brain coming down off of both the drug and the residual chemicals of years of smoking.
I used it constructively and actually accomplished quite a bit of house-cleaning. I can't say anything negative about the whole experience except that in 10 years who knows it'll probably cause something horrible that the FDA knew about but just let it go....
One of those posters said their Dr. had given them the script for a full year.
To me that's called "trading" not "quitting."

lau
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 2:31 pm

sartresue wrote:
I suppose I am one of the 3%-5% of people who were able to quit cold turkey. I have a very strong personality (as some of you may have noticed) and I was determined to quit. For six weeks I had major meltdowns during withdrawal. There were no patches then, no Zyban. Just nicotine gum. I tried it and I felt dizzy. And it was very expensive. So this is why I quit cold turkey. After 6 weeks i I felt great. No more huffing and puffing as I ran up the stairs. And iIdid not gain more than 2.5 kilos, which I lost after being able to do more physical activity. I chewed gum, drank water, coffee, tea. I avoided anyone who smoked (which was easy, since I did not socialize anyway). I will be having a major celebration when reach the thirty year mark (I have never celebrated it before). And the money I saved, or at least did not spend! (I have never used alcohol either. Ever.)

But all in all, it is a hard thing to do. Even with my strong personality! :D

I wrote:
I suppose I am one of the 3%-5% of people who were able to quit cold turkey. I have a very strange personality (as some of you may have noticed) and I felt like stopping. I had no problems during withdrawal (which is ongoing). There were patches, Zyban, nicotine gum - I ignored them. I've tried other methods before. I hate expense. So this is why I quit cold turkey. After two years I feel little different (and still look for my pack of cigarettes, most days). The previous two long periods I gave up were to do Kung Fu and to sing in a choir. This time I had no specific reason to stop. My weight never changes much. I didn't change my diet at all. I vaguely sought out anyone who smoked (to avoid it becoming a problem if I came back into such a milieu). I don't expect ever to celebrate "giving up", because I don't know I will never restart. The saved money is not a huge consideration, as I have never had any respect for money. (I have given up alcohol as well. That is, other than a social pint of beer, once a month, or so. I had a pint on Wednesday, and I can't remember when I had any prior to that... some time in January/February, I think.)

But all in all, it is a trivial thing to do. Even with my strange personality! :)

Seriously... I think this is a subject that is not straightforward.

I cannot understand why people think there is only one way to "stop" smoking.

There are a whole host of reasons why, once people start smoking, it is difficult to get out of the habit/addiction.

Corresponding to those reason why they continue smoking, there are an even larger number of ways to address the problem.

By all means suggest alternatives. Do NOT reject them.

I object to people trying to narrow down the approaches.

reika
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

05 Apr 2008, 3:32 pm

I agree wholeheartedly Lau.
There is no "ONE best way" for me, ANY way someone manages to quit is "the Best Way"
The Chantix worked for me because it was painless, and allowed me to maintain my composure at work where I have to deal w/ the public.
Plus, "I'm a whoosy" and HATE pain or emotional discomfort, I figure Iv had enough of both already and I won't willingly inflict more on myself.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

05 Apr 2008, 7:07 pm

Sorry if I interrupt, but I wanted to say hi.

now, there are a multitude of ways to quit. I wonder if the market for people that want to quit cigarettes is more marketable than the one for people that smoke.

Just curious.