The Dino-Aspie Ex-Café (for Those 40+... or feeling creaky)

Page 678 of 1007 [ 16106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 675, 676, 677, 678, 679, 680, 681 ... 1007  Next

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:33 pm

blessedmom wrote:
cosmiccat wrote:
Kaleido wrote:
:lol: Really clever and is it true that people over forty cannot be accurate on the first question?

:lol: No, Kaleido. I don't think it's true at all. It's a joke - I think, meant to catch you off guard and lure you into the second part where the joke is hidden. My niece sent it to me and I thought it was funny. I had no problem doing the first part accurately, and I'm sure most people wouldn't have a problem. It's all just a joke. :lol:

:lol: :lol: A joke that I've managed to fall for twice! :roll:

Is the fact that I fell for it supposed to make me an old fart?

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:34 pm

Kaleido wrote:
Oh :lol:

I am always embarrassing myself on here by not understanding things in some areas. :oops:

I took it literally, I suppose I would really wouldn't I :D

I should have kept my old sig: OMG I am such an Aspie! :lol:

Can we celebrate being AS together?

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:35 pm

:lol:

morning_after wrote:
blessedmom wrote:
cosmiccat wrote:
Kaleido wrote:
:lol: Really clever and is it true that people over forty cannot be accurate on the first question?

:lol: No, Kaleido. I don't think it's true at all. It's a joke - I think, meant to catch you off guard and lure you into the second part where the joke is hidden. My niece sent it to me and I thought it was funny. I had no problem doing the first part accurately, and I'm sure most people wouldn't have a problem. It's all just a joke. :lol:

8O Hardly! Do I look like an old fart to you?? (oh yeah, you can't see me. :)

It means that you fit right in with the rest of us here, is all.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:36 pm

cosmiccat wrote:
I'm going to see my cousin "R" tomorrow after my appointment with my shrink. I'll be taking the train and I'll probably spend the night. Her sister "M" is still there at her apartment and she brings R home everyday and cooks for her. R now refers to her eventual passing as "when I do my thing." I hope I can get my sister to go with me. I don't know what will be dredged up in therapy (my mind has been working overtime), and then going to see my cousin afterward, it's going to be a very intense day. I hope I can manage to get through it without a panic attack.

Two pieces of wisdom I'll take with me tomorrow - both from Simone Weil

1. To be a hero or a heroine, one must give an order to oneself.
2. I think, therefore I can.

*hugs cc*

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:38 pm

blessedmom wrote:
Hello and welcome, Pinhead. I know how you feel when you say you feel like an older person in a young body. I was soooo happy to turn 40 this year because I am now "older" and I feel like my age finally fits my body.

@ Cosmiccat: The weather here is still cold enough at night that we can get snow. In the daytime it reaches about 50F and the sun is shining. I got out and raked the side yard and pulled some old weeds so I can prepare my flower beds but we don't get to plant anything until the 3rd week in May.

I bet you have the most beautiful garden in the world, Lauri.

(btw, you all can call me Sam).

So how's family life going?

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:40 pm

nannarob wrote:
Hi Kaleido! I'm the resident NT here, good at getting jokes though I am not quick enough to join in when the Cafe becomes playful ... and having a poor memory don't get many of the references.

I took the mental age test literally too. :oops: I don't do literal. I am beconing one of you!! !! !

Hurray!! We may have a new;y diagnosed Aspie on the board soon!! !!

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:41 pm

lelia wrote:
When I was a little kid I can remember how much I looked forward to turning 45.
Twenty years ago my oldest son in the car exclaimed, "Mom, you've got a white hair!" I pulled into the driveway and started looking in the mirror. "Where? Where is it? Oh, look! There it is. And I've got another one beside it! Are there any more? Oh, I can't wait until it all turns white." I looked up to see my son shaking his head in astonishment. "Mom, you're different."

But you're friendly enough you could have passed for any age here.

I understand the older people get, usually the crankier they get.

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:43 pm

blessedmom wrote:
lelia wrote:
When I was a little kid I can remember how much I looked forward to turning 45.
Twenty years ago my oldest son in the car exclaimed, "Mom, you've got a white hair!" I pulled into the driveway and started looking in the mirror. "Where? Where is it? Oh, look! There it is. And I've got another one beside it! Are there any more? Oh, I can't wait until it all turns white." I looked up to see my son shaking his head in astonishment. "Mom, you're different."

I had a similar conversation with my youngest son yesterday. I have stopped dying my hair was excited to see not only white but gray and black, as well. I had him looking under the light to tell me if it had all changed. I love the look of "salt and pepper" hair. He just looked at me and said, "You go, Mom!" with that "my mom's loony" look that teens do so well.

I thought that was the only look teens had when looking at their parents (j/k).

morning_after
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 8:45 pm

blessedmom wrote:
:lol:
morning_after wrote:
blessedmom wrote:
cosmiccat wrote:
Kaleido wrote:

8O Hardly! Do I look like an old fart to you?? (oh yeah, you can't see me. :)

It means that you fit right in with the rest of us here, is all.

Actually, I always pictured you as young and beautiful looking.

But I pictured you with blonde hair. One of your posts just damaged that image a little.

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 9:00 pm

Ah well.... I was blonde at one point in time. And knowing me I'll get tired of my hair and colour it the same way I've been doing for the past few months. For the record, and so that you don't end up with a bunch of gray-haired cat ladies chasing after you, I know many beautiful women with silver or white hair so I really wouldn't say I "damaged" your image of me. Altered may be a better word. :wink:

My family is good by the way. I've been busy studying my Medical Transcriptionist courses and have achieved an over-all mark of 93% so far. I was very mad that I only got 85% on my last unit test. I got 3 questions wrong and had flashbacks to highschool and college when I just about gave myself an ulcer every time I got less than 90% on anything. I had to remind myself that "perfect" sucks the enjoyment out of life. (Remember that.) And I really want to enjoy what I'm doing.

And what's new in your world?

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 9:08 pm

My husband, NT to the ...eyeballs (can't remember what the saying is) has a firm belief that what is under the skin counts. When he told me this the other day ... again... I was a bit surprised. He doesn't turn his head as much now as he used to when a Merle-like female passes but I'm sure he swivels his er ...eyeballs.

I'm glad we met on line first because I won't be distracted by looks when we all meet (sigh).

(When Merle was young she heard a man laughing. "That bloke just walked into a lamp post ... he was watching you walk by!" he said.)

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

nannarob
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 9:14 pm

You are in an old fart's cafe, Sam.

It's so liberating for an NT to be an old fart. I am now guilt free about being socially inept, loud, weird. But one thing in my favour is that I know I am breaking the rules (as opposed to those that have to struggle to work out the rules).

I think there must be some chronic learning disability that is so prevalent among NT's that it goes unnoticed by the "experts". Krex

SleepyDragon
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 9:54 pm

morning_after wrote:
I understand the older people get, usually the crankier they get.

The less time you've got left, the less you like to waste it. That's my excuse. :)

This morning I found myself making cheeky faces at one of the kids I know from my son's school, to the amusement of us both. I am soooo going to be one of those eccentric old ladies that everybody crosses the street to avoid. (What? They already do? Oh, shush up.) :D

krex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 10:02 pm

I love that song Postie :D

Thank you all for your personal insights about smoking. I like to hear "all" opinions. I can make my decisions based on what I know to work for me...ie...no such thing as bad information if you have analytical skills to weed through info....(what does "taking everything with a grain of salt mean???or is it a grain of sand???)

Hi pinhead....I had a friend with that "nick name" because of all his face piercings....we were big Hell Raiser fans.

Am I to young or old for my husk?

When I was a kid I thought my peers were annoyingly immature..loud..not logical...boring.I thought I was to old for my skin.
Then I hit my early 30's and began to feel both to old and to young. I liked collecting rocks and punk music and stuffed animals and didn't care about getting married,having kids or 401K........Lawerence Welk still sounded like crap(weird to think it was my parents favorite show when they were in their 30's....man,they were OLD.)Yet my peers seemed to have no intellectual curiosity and very little personal insight or analytical skills....Now I feel to young,because of my interests and lack of interests in the "right things" and because I like to get down on my hands and knees and bark and wrestle with the dogs,BUT...I work with kids in their twenties who have poor work ethic,play stupid drama-mind games and seem very immature...so I am to old...?????Perplexing.

I think I see "age appropriate" as being as silly as "gender appropriate"...I like to pick the parts of each gender and age that I think is most positive to me and not have some out side source pick for me. When Jesus said become as the little children..I don't think he meant...be selfish and bully people(which is something I saw in many of my peers as a kid. I think he was talking about finding joy and amazement in the simple wonders of life, being honest and "nieve" because we can't imagine why some people would be "mean" or duplicitous. I think those are the aspie traits that make many of us "out siders" in adult society and often "victems" to peer abuse. My mother claimed I was "holier then thou" but I never flet the need to be "better"...I just wanted to understand why others were being so mean...I still don't understand it most days.

CC and Sinsboldly....I wish you both luck in your "psychological" ventures. Every time think of "therapy type things"...I can't block out the voice of Nietzsche....."look not into the abysse for the abyss looks also into you.(poor paraphrase=bad memory)
Yet the abysse is always a both intrigueing and scary to me.

I wrote this as a tribute for Bob Dylan(can't recall if I posted it)

http://alianoraspie.deviantart.com/art/Dylan-65239231

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

blessedmom
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 11:02 pm

@Krex: I had started a post about the smoking issue a few days ago and lost it, got sidetracked and forgot, until now. :oops: ADHD sure is a pain in my butt!

I was going to comment that there is a documented reason why it is hard to quit smoking. It has been documented that nicotine causes the release of dopamine in the brain every time a cigarette is smoked. With that release, a feeling of well-being is created.

http://archpsyc.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/63/7/808

It has been theorized that with long-term smokers, this constant forcing of the brain to release dopamine may actually change the way the receptors in the brain work and how much dopamine is being produce. Unfortunately dopamine is not "created" by the body. We all have a certain amount and that is all we get. It cannot be recreated outside the body as a supplement.

This is also the reason chocolate and carbohydrates are craved by certain people. When I tried to quit smoking the first 3 times, I found that within a month the nicotine craving was replaced by the chocolate and carb cravings. It almost drove me crazy at times. I chose to take bupropion (Zyban, AKA Wellbutrin) as it is a dopamine and norepinephrine re-uptake inhibitor. It was the first time that I could quit without feeling miserable and gaining excessive weight. I took bupropion for a year and then decided to stop taking it. Within a few months, I was craving the carbs and chocolate again. I also found my ADD getting worse. I chose to begin the Wellbutrin again after a one year break.

I believe you mentioned that you had tried bupropion and were horribly allergic to it. Effexor works in the same manner but is a serotonin, dopamine, norepinephrine inhibitor.

I'm also wondering if your cough drop addiction doesn't also come from a craving for more dopamine. They are sugar-based and produce the same dopamine release. I know this because I found myself craving them after going through packages and packages with my last cold virus. It was ridiculous. The sugar could also be responsible for the increased mucous production. It is known to be a mucous producing agent. Naturopaths have known this for years but now the medical field is doing research that proves it. http://www.medicinenet.com/script/main/ ... ekey=87885

krex
Veteran
Veteran

07 Apr 2008, 11:40 pm

Thanks Blessed. Interesting link with suger.Yeah,I had a horrid reaction to Wellbutrin which sucked the more because I never flet better then two weeks I was using it.

I think I use nicotin in part to deal with symptoms of aspergers(social phobias)and ADD(helps concentration).I really don't understand why it isn't offered as a medication instead of only an add to quiting smoking. Why is it worse then other anti-anxiety medications that are as or more addictive?It's not good for you?I've read the side-effects of many perscription drugs and none of them seem particularly good for you. I really think the scientific community is over looking a potential chemcical just because it is associated with "that evil devil weed". Or perhaps the tobacco company still has some influence?

Why s that gum so damn expenssive and will it ever be excepted as any thing more then an "aid to quit" instead of an aid for people with AS/ADD?

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/