Page 2 of 9 [ 132 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 7:26 am

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Sparrowrose wrote:
The original poster defined what kind of Christian they wanted to know about so I thought I'd chime in to say that I consider myself Christian but am not what the original poster was looking for when they asked. Just so they would know that there *are* a lot of Christians with aspergers, even if we're a different kind of Christian.

I apologize--I am over-sensitive to Christians seeming as though they are telling other Christians that they aren't the right kind. If I inferred that where it wasn't there...my bad.

No worries. One of my favorite books is Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis in which he compares Christianity to a big hall we all belong in and different forms of Christianity as doors off that hall. Each of us is attracted to a particular door and, according to Lewis, we must choose a door rather than remain out in the hall, but the hall -- which is "mere Christianity" -- is the common elements that we all share and that make us all Christian, no matter which door we end up going through.

Quote:
Yes, John Wesley (the founder of Methodism) shared a LOT of theological perspective with the Orthodox Church. There is a big overlap between Arminianism (Methodism's views on Grace, free will, etc.) and Orthodox theology. Much more overlap than between Orthodoxy and most other Protestant denominations.

Probably explains why I take to Russian literature to the degree that I do. It just...makes SENSE.

One thing I was curious about, though. I am writing a character (I write a LOT of characters ;) ) who is of a very analytical/rational bent--he is not an Aspie, but if I had to give him an MBTI type I would type him as INTJ. One thing I have heard anecdotally about Orthodoxy is that the sort of highly systemized thought that you find in Catholicism (an almost scientific/legal approach to faith) is not so encouraged in Orthodoxy. I am not so sure I believe this, as I tend to find extremely clear theology, very well thought out and researched, on Orthodox websites, as well as Orthodox-influenced literature. How have you found it, assuming you are also of a very analytical bent (lead with the head as opposed to heart)? I would like to make my portrayal as realistic as possible, so a perspective from someone who actually is Orthodox rather than a Methodist would help. :)[/quote]

No, you're absolutely right; Orthodoxy has a very different world-view from Western Christianity. There is a much heavier emphasis on the unity of the Body of Christ rather than individualism. Believers are encouraged to view the unity of the Trinity as a model for the unity that the Body of Christ should have as well -- not a collection of worshippers, but one heart and one mind. There is encouragement to tap into the "phrenoma" or "mind of the Church" and merge into the Faith rather than seek one's own path or try to interpret the Faith on one's own. And there is much more focus on prayer and seeking theosis (a process of transformation drawing one closer to God and pushing one to become more like Christ) than there is on a scientific approach to theology or a focus on logic and reason as tools of worship.

Theology is very important in Orthodoxy but there is no real separation between theology and worship. One of the Church Fathers (revered members of the Body of Christ who helped to explain and encourage others in Christian life), Evagrius of Pontus (4th century) said, "A theologian is one who prays, and one who prays is a theologian." Roman Catholicism has the Scholastic tradition, of which Saint Thomas of Aquinas is the most representative member. As you point out, the Scholastics would debate theology in a very scholarly and academic manner. In Orthodoxy, theology is simply commentary on and explanation of the comments and explanations of the Church Fathers, saints and martyrs. It is comments on the comments on the Holy Scriptures with the purpose of building the phrenoma (mind of the Church) with regards to worship.

One thing you'll notice if you read Orthodox theology is that there is no official Church position on anything that does not pertain directly to Christ. So there is an official position on the use of icons in worship but there is no official Church position on the Creation/Evolution issue (although priests and bishops have written extensively on the topic, supporting a wide variety of views) and there probably never will be, because official positions come from ecumenical councils and those councils (there have been seven so far) are only called to settle issues of theology specific to Christ. For example, the theological position that Christ was both fully man and fully God was decided at an ecumencial council. There is theology about saints because the light one sees in the faces of saints is the reflection of Christ's light and all saints serve to point us in the direction of God. There is theology about the Theotokos (Virgin Mary) because she had the great honor of carrying God in her womb and because she is an example to us as she, too, points to Christ.

I hope I've done justice to your question. I've only been a Christian for six years now. I've been formally Orthodox for only two years but attending Liturgy and studying the Faith as a catechumen (learner, preparing to join the Church) for two years before that. I'm still an infant in Christianity and even though I've "obsessed" on Orthodoxy and Orthodox theology as perhaps only someone with asperger's can, I'm always nervous when I start describing things about the Faith because I'm afraid of misrepresenting things due to having been a Christian for such a short time so far.

So there is more that I could say, but this is about what I feel safe saying and comfortable that I'm (God willing) explaining it clearly and correctly.

And I pray that I have not offended anyone in any way. And I wholeheartedly apologize if I have!

Avatar=WWI propaganda poster promoting victory gardens.

Zonder
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 8:47 am

I grew up in a fundamentalist evangelical Christian environment. The problem of being "on the spectrum" as well as being "born again" is that evangelical protestantism relies heavily on emotions, feelings, and a conversion experience. I rarely felt what others seemed to feel, or expected me to feel, because I, out of ASD necessity, relied more on my logic than on my emotions. It can feel like a no-win situation to be on the outside of the emotional experience that is expected by those practicing the faith in which you find yourself. Don't ever blame yourself for not measuring up to what others expect of you, faith-wise. You need to be true to yourself, and your emotional capacity.

I'm now much more comfortable in main-line protestant churches that are less emotionally demonstrative than the church of my youth.

Z

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 10:56 am

Sparrowrose--sent you a PM so as not to derail the thread. :)

bicentennialman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

05 Jun 2010, 11:29 am

Zonder wrote:
I grew up in a fundamentalist evangelical Christian environment. The problem of being "on the spectrum" as well as being "born again" is that evangelical protestantism relies heavily on emotions, feelings, and a conversion experience. I rarely felt what others seemed to feel, or expected me to feel, because I, out of ASD necessity, relied more on my logic than on my emotions. It can feel like a no-win situation to be on the outside of the emotional experience that is expected by those practicing the faith in which you find yourself. Don't ever blame yourself for not measuring up to what others expect of you, faith-wise. You need to be true to yourself, and your emotional capacity.

I'm now much more comfortable in main-line protestant churches that are less emotionally demonstrative than the church of my youth.

Z

I can relate somewhat to this experience, Zonder. Sometimes speakers in chapel or church services would convey the message (sometimes intentionally, sometimes not) that loving God is all about feeling a certain way or having a certain emotional response when you sing a song or hear a message. I couldn't call up the "right" emotions on command every time I went to a worship service (doing so is very tiring, and it soon becomes clear that the feelings aren't genuine), and I began to worry that I was not really saved.

The thing is, that's not what loving God is about. When the Bible says to "love God with all your heart," some people take "heart" to mean "emotions," because that's what people usually mean when they talk about a person's "heart." But from what I understand, the term "heart" in the Bible did not just mean "feelings." It referred to a person's thoughts, will, and conscience as well. You can love God by thinking logically. (The part of the body that was used to refer specifically to the emotions in the Old Testament was actually the bowels or the intestines! It would be funny to hear that in a worship song today, but it sort of does make sense-- that's where you FEEL things!)

More importantly, though, the problem was that the emphasis on emotions was making me focus on myself, and salvation is not about how I feel; it is about what Jesus did when he paid for my sins. I can trust him, talk to him, and sing to him even if I feel rotten, or I don't feel anything; my salvation depends on God, and he does not change.

(Sorry about the long post; I did not mean to preach to anyone. This is how I tend to organize my own thoughts as I write, and it tends to lead to long posts.)

Greenmouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2010, 11:42 am

Bicentennialman: I leaved a message on your personnal message box.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 6:46 pm

SoSayWeAll wrote:
Sparrowrose--sent you a PM so as not to derail the thread. :)

Thanks. You got a more thorough answer than I would have given within the thread. So if you like longer responses . . . :-)

Francis
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 7:07 pm

I am a Christian.

I was raised eastern orthodox, and even lived in a Orthodox monastery for awhile. but for the past 5 or so years I have been attending a methodist church.

Greenmouse
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

05 Jun 2010, 10:46 pm

For everyone:

Did knowing you're an Aspie change the way you look at God?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jun 2010, 10:47 pm

I am a Lutheran, and I do feel alone as a Christian Aspie.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

rmctagg09
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

08 Jun 2010, 9:27 pm

Greenmouse wrote:
For everyone:

Considering I found out I was an Aspie a year after I became a Christian, I'd have to say not really. In my own case, I do find it hard to follow the Great Commission, as like most Aspies I'm very introverted, unlike the extroversion of most other Christians.

Sparrowrose
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 9:36 pm

Greenmouse wrote:
For everyone:

Nowhere near so much as realizing that gluten makes me very ill. I have been having a hard time understanding why I would be punished like this, not being able to participate in the Eucharist, the central mystery of Christ's Church.

SoSayWeAll
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 9:45 pm

rmctagg09 wrote:
Greenmouse wrote:
For everyone:

Considering I found out I was an Aspie a year after I became a Christian, I'd have to say not really. In my own case, I do find it hard to follow the Great Commission, as like most Aspies I'm very introverted, unlike the extroversion of most other Christians.

I think there are different kinds of ways of ministering, though. Not all of them involve actually walking up to people and talking. Some people write, either off- or online, and some people simply model the way with their lives.

GumbyLives
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jun 2010, 11:29 pm

I'm a Christian aspie. For the question of the hour: no, it hasn't changed my view of God. I count on God knowing a lot more about a lot more things than I do, and I trust God to have created me to be exactly like it pleases Him for me to be. That's good enough for me.

As for what kind of Christian I am, I've been a fundamentalist protestant, a liberal protestant, a rabidly conservative roman catholic, and a liberal catholic. I gave all that up for Jesus.

Your Aspie score: 155 of 200 * Your neurotypical (non-autistic) score: 49 of 200 * You are very likely an Aspie

IamTheWalrus
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

09 Jun 2010, 2:25 am

I am Christian but not aspie.

OzAspi
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

09 Jun 2010, 3:03 am

Born again, Jesus serving, bible believing Christian here

Greenmouse
Snowy Owl