anybody else do cross stitch or detailed crafts

Page 2 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Enigmatic_Oddity
Veteran
Veteran

23 Jul 2006, 11:31 pm

I used to do cross stitch and long stitch when I was in primary school. People probably bullied me about it, but I don't think I noticed anything different from normal.

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2006, 6:31 pm

Thanks a lot for bringing up Rosey Grier! I had vague memories about him, but now I see that it's okay to cross stitch and sew and still be "macho" :)

macho macho man :lol: :P

Frosch
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

06 Aug 2006, 7:36 am

I love to cross-stitch! I also design and sew clothes and make my own jewelry. I also make figurines of Fimo polymer clay. I like to do things with my hands, it's relaxing.

krex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Aug 2006, 6:29 pm

Computerlover...I do something that uses several different hobbies that qualifies as "macho"although I am female...

I dumpsterdive discarded wooden furniture(real wood, not the cardboardy crap they sell at Target...
I sand the paint or varnish off so it is down to bare wood grain...#2 I make some wood stain out off rit dye...I like blues and greens...and apply it to the wood...then resand alittle to smooth out the wod grain but not enough to take out the color...#3apply several layers of waterbased wood varnish to seal the wood...#4(really fun part)spend hours picking out pictures from magazines...I can spend hours cutting out the tiny details of a skull or butterfly shape...Collage them on to the wood whereever you think they belong...you can overlap the pictures and make interesting surreal images...like cat eyes on a babys face...(there are alot of books in lybrary detailing each of these steps and collage(sp?)has a long hystory in home made art...I love it because I can not draw but love things with vissual interest....#5use the varnish to seal the whole thing...you now have an interesting an functional piece of personal art....Maybe best to start with something smaller...like a jewlery box...because mistakes are easy to make and easier to fix on small objects...makes great gfts because you can personalize it with the kind of things the person likes...

I also like to make clay sculptures but hate the way the clay dryes my hands out(femo doestnt do this but I hate the smell of it and it's expensive...though the colors are great...I can never get the kind of detail I get from regulat clay(the kinds you let air dry...no kilm...boohoo)

I have drawers and drawers of fabric I have fallen in love with but dont know how to design and sew very well ,so I am putting this off for a future obsession...maybe a wall hanging someday..

Visit my wool sculpture blog
http://eyesoftime.blogspot.com/

JulieArticuno
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Aug 2006, 8:55 am

I used to do tapestry (I still do on and off) and I designed and completed a 1 metre square tapestry of "Riverdance" for my mother tweo Christmases ago.. If you want a pic of it, ask and I'll post a link.

JulieArticuno

computerlove
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2006, 8:30 pm

Hey krex, that's cool! I've seen that kind of colored wood and love it, great to know someone that makes that :)

Julie: of course I'd like to see a pic! post a picture!

OurChris
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

11 Aug 2006, 11:47 pm

There is nothing at all wrong with a guy enjoying needle work. Traditionally men have been tailors. So what is the difference? Plus, it would be great for hand/eye coordination.

I love cross stitch (hard to do with small ones around), crochet and scrapbooking. So far Chris is not crafty.

Katherine :)

DirtDawg
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2006, 7:19 am

Not really the same thing, but I used to enjoy beading, Indian style. I put bead work on my hats and leather goods for years. I decorated a few jackets, shirts, and pants with Indian symbols. Making other Indian-like things also held my interest for a while, medicine wheels, dream catchers, sashes, medicine bags, peace pipes, and quivers. I don't have much Indian blood in me, but I have an internal identity with their lifestyle, religion, ways of thinking, and respect for nature.

Now days, it's all about electronics, amplifiers, crossovers, tube audio, anything music related. There's a fair amount of detail involved, some light math and theoretical geometry, close quarter, precision hand work. Some of my tube amps sound really good, too.

Beading taught me some patience that I needed, but I seem to have outgrown it. I may have to try it again.

hale_bopp
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2006, 7:51 am

I am a card maker.

I have HEAPs of supplies at home, and make cards using all sorts of bits and pieces.
My cards have a distinct style (not like homemade cards in shops), and I always put a lot of effort and detail into them, making them 3D painting and cluing in shaddows etc. :)