Page 2 of 2 [ 29 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

Lost_in_Reverie
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

09 Jan 2012, 12:00 am

My major fields of interest are changing. Does that happen?

I used to have a major thing for animals, but now it's all physics. I like theoretical physics, for it looks at big-picture questions (an example being the search for a unified field theory) and makes connections as to how different things play together and relate. I find it super-interesting, and I even come up with questions and think them over all the time.

My side interest would be the Myer-Briggs Typology Indicator. For those of you familiar with the system, I'm an INTP!

I also find philosophy a tad interesting. But other than that, most everything else is pretty much blah to me.

Skeith
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

09 Jan 2012, 12:16 am

games, cooking, science, interesting, oddities, the idealisms of things people lable as taboo, manga, japanese culture, korean culture, philipino culture, new and interesting ideas, writing fanfiction, and lastly trying to do what todd wilbur does. im curious how many people know who he is on here :) beyond that i take a healthy interest in most things but unless they really catch my eye i usually lose interest after awhile.

JMN
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2012, 6:12 pm

Lost_in_Reverie wrote:
My major fields of interest are changing. Does that happen?

Yes, it does.

JMN
Butterfly
Butterfly

09 Jan 2012, 6:20 pm

I've always had obsessive interest, but they have changed over the years. I don't usually just drop the old ones, but they aren't as gripping. As a kid, it was World War II. When I was about eight, my mother got worried about it and wanted to make sure I knew about the Holocaust and all of the downsides, so she asked me if I knew why we fought the war. I responded by going into the economic situation in 1930s Germany and how that led to the rise of the Nazis and the response that that provoked from Britain and France. She dropped the subject.

Right now, I'd say that I have three obsessions. One is about organizational structure and how information is processed and used by those throughout the organization. It focuses heavily on decision making processes. The second is painting lead miniatures (actually made from a lead-free pewter for the last fifteen years). If I can ever get the settings on my camera properly adjusted to take pictures of detailed 1-inch tall figure, I'll post some.

My biggest obsession these days is women's college ice hockey. I own season tickets to the University of Minnesota's team (now ranked #1 in the country) and I make the road trips to see them at Wisconsin and all of the other Minnesota schools. The obsession doesn't so much involve collecting information on it, in part because data on it is not much collected and really hard to find. I think about it constantly, though, and the six month off-season is torture. I love baseball, but it doesn't satisfy me in the same way.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 3:46 am

gee, let's see...
i like being fit, even though i have to force myself to do quasi-torture-type exercises [pushups/chinups/crunches etc.] in addition to biking up/down hills for 2 hours most days, to keep fit. the older i get the harder it is to stay in shape. it is especially hard to make myself get up off it when my back is shouting at me and i'm stiff and sore in general. but i feel even more stiff and sore when i slack off for too long. when i'm not undergoing that kind of self-torture, i like wasting lots of time on wrong planet. when i'm not wasting time here, i like to work on my other puter in restoring/archiving my extensive backlog of thousands of old recordings in my collection in need of aural repair. i thank god for digital signal processing. :) it is a very meditative and absorbing hobby, btw. i don't have too much time for much else other than sleeping and eating and such. once or twice a month i get to meet up with other aspies in olympia, washington.

Trinidy
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

10 Jan 2012, 8:59 am

It took me forever to even realize I had a talent. Though I have been making up stories since before I could read, I honestly thought everyone could write like that. I had a brain injury when I was born, so math is hard for me and my memory is a fail :/ which kind of closes many doors for me. I found myself fascinated with human behaviors and I started to study people's actions. XD after time I realized that Psychology, and behavioral studies help with my writing and kind of became my main focus.
Hobbies are videogames, anime, manga, reading,tv I guess, and Rping

NeXus_Blueliner
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Jan 2012, 11:05 am

Architecture, Astronomy, Drawing, Drumming, Emma (no further info on this one) Fantasy hockey, Freestyle Motocross Hats, Horse racing, Ice hockey, Jessica (my best friend, she's one of my biggest passions in life :P) I love to take things apart and put them back together. I like re building old things into new things. I have so many things that could be listed. I love dates and finding out anything about people that could be put down as a mathematical thing. (eg: height, shoe size etc) I love a lot of reckless things that come down to being a passion/hobby :D I love helicopters and how they work. One of my biggest passions/hobbies is The Simpsons. Whether it's watching them, reading about it, reading the comics/books or collecting anything to do with them. I also have a huge love for anything to do with survival. My Swiss army knife is one of the most interesting things I own :D

Edit: I also love car number plates and finding words on them and I like seeing more unique/personalised ones. One of the most 'out there' ones I've seen ends in KKK 8O I'm not sure if that's personalised or not. Either way they're a brave person for owning it.

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 11:14 am

i like to think of patterns and i like soon thereafter to think of the functional mechanisms to achieve their portrayal in reality.

i have not attended much lately to it but it is my fundamental interest.

every day i think of many new patterns, but i am a bit depressed i guess so i have not bothered to actuate them because no one else seems to care anyway.

when i am happy, i will achieve by intermediate calculation, an exhibitable medium to portray those patterns, but at the moment they are only seen by my minds eye, and i forget them within a few weeks if i do not act on physically formulating them for distribution to other minds.

gadge
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 11:33 am

definetly.. they change

As a young child(5-10) it was building toys such as Erector and Lego's. I would also build tents, yep, poles, ropes, and old sheets. My aunt Vi let me tent her entire yard once, she even brought out all her good sheets. Come to think.....she bought me alot of toys ! ! Matchbox cars, those fold out metal ones, (really wish I still had them !)

As a young teenager (11-16) it was scale modeling. It started as military vehicles, planes tanks etc It progressed to a 8'x8' mountain diorama thanks to my grandfather. Other dioramas were throughout my bedroom and closet and adults had to duck all the airplanes that were hanging from my cieling. Around 15 I discovered model cars ! ! I got alot more into detailing and scratch building adding every wire and hose to 1/25 scale.
This is about the same time that I moved very close, less than a block from my grandpa. I would stop at his house on my way home from school nearly daily. Together we made ALL kinds of strange things. Everything from electric and sail boats to balsa wood airplanes. My grandma didn't appreciate it when the hot air balloon went up in flames.
My parents divoriced when I was 12. Moms boyfriend was an antique dealer and machinist. Quite a comedian also. by the time I was 15 I had my own table at antique shows. I dealt in civil war era thru early 20's bottles, lamps,etc.. I still have a matching pair of wall mtd. kerosene lamps with mercury reflectors and a fancy iron frames.

As a teen (16-20) I started to work on cars. That progressed to rebuilding engines and drag racing at the local strip. I really wanted to work on race cars though, not dirty rusted street cars. I ate, breathed, slept...... cars! I would even read repair manuals in math class, and yes the teachers knew. but I never got below a 95% and that was just a mistake/woops.

At that point (21-24)and for the next few I went into the military and was a helicopter mechanic/crew chief Yes I fell in love with my birds, and it showed. I had to know ALL about it. I had my own set of manuals and constantly read them....memorized actually Mine was always picked to do shows and to take vip's for crap your pants rides. I was 1 of only 2 non pilots that flew front seat all the time.

From there (25-45) I became a fitter/fabricator and simply had to learn all I could about the procss of liquified air production and compressed gass's. I'm just the kind of person that doesn't want to NOT know. I knew I was really good at math and science but I had no idea just how good. I started to get into physics ,enginering, mostly as related to the machinery but included aero, hydro, thermal dynamics, vibration analysis,
I got divoriced at 36 and got back into woodworking and modeling, without someone telling me its stupid. This time the scale is larger and the cars/trucks/boats are radio controlled. I've also got a fairly well equiped wood/metal shop. I also got to finally work on a really fast race car, as a fabricator.

At that point (45-now) I was wrongfully terminated due to a disability(not AS) So my obsesion has become ADA law This is also about the time that I discovered that I'm aspie, so I had to learn all I could about myself. I did discover that for some reason I've got a knack for playing drums, thanks to rock band

b9
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 11:42 am

gadge wrote:
definetly.. they change

As a young child(5-10) it was building toys such as Erector and Lego's. I would also build tents, yep, poles, ropes, and old sheets. My aunt Vi let me tent her entire yard once, she even brought out all her good sheets. Come to think.....she bought me alot of toys ! ! Matchbox cars, those fold out metal ones, (really wish I still had them !)

at that age i used to like pressing tin foil around my matchbox cars, and rubbing the foil in hard to every crevice so it looked like my cars, and then i used to crash my tin foil facsimiles of them so they looked like real life car accidents.

that was much fun

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 12:07 pm

If there's one thing I had to choose, I suppose it would be art, though particularly stuff more anime/manga and comic strip esque. Even then I don't feel like I'm as good at it as I should be. I'd like to take some college class for it, but as of now I guess I'm self taught.

While someone else is eating or opening a window or
just walking dully along...

Uprising
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jan 2012, 2:54 pm

Making random sounds in FL Studio and editing the **** out of them.

mr7thletter
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

11 Jan 2012, 1:01 pm

Music production ever since I was in high school. I suppose that has been about 20 years now and ever since then I have had the ability to produce and be in the studio with numerous individuals in the professional music industry.....

Comic Books.......I was into them in middle school and now that my son is old enough I have found that I still really love the art work in the books and bought a bunch of old comics that I sold when I got into high school........

Art......of this is is the reason I love comics so much because when I was in middle school all I wanted to be was a comic book artist.