Please help me try to understand Aspergers

Page 2 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

jelibean
Veteran
Veteran

06 Apr 2008, 6:11 pm

Maybe these two suggestions may help some of you out there.

Read Barbara Jacobs 'Loving Mr Spock'. Brilliant book and incorporates loads of information on day to day living with Aspergers syndrome.

Secondly have any of you taken the AQ test by Prof Simon Baron Cohen. This will give you a good indication as to whether you are on the autistic rainbow. If you are welcome, it is not such a bad place to be providing you know where you are! Once you do it is all much easier to understand! Trust me I have been on a sharp learning curve! Just google it and you can do it online, it does not take long!

Good luck and I hope that helps, not sure if I am meant to post links otherwise I would. Also look at the finger digit test! Very revealing! :wink:

atmosphere88
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

06 Apr 2008, 11:29 pm

welcome to wrong planet

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

07 Apr 2008, 10:04 am

Quote:
Regarding the clumsiness, I think there may actually be some things there I'd overlooked. Occasionally I do knock things over - especially if I'm trying to be quiet or careful! I've also got what the doc calls a "benign tremor" which has resulted in many a cup of coffee being scattered all over the place over the years. However, that may not be related. I'm a strong swimmer and swam several miles using breast stroke and back crawl but could never learn the front crawl (freestyle) there are just too many things to coordinate - legs, arms, head and breathing. It baffled me why my peers learned easily but I just thrashed about in the water going nowhere. Related perhaps?

Aha! I haven't done any swimming for a long while, but I love swimming. However, I am only proficient when I swim on my back or on my side. I do a great side stroke and have never seen anyone else do it (except for my mom who had partial paralysis of her left arm) and I love the feeling of swimming on my back. It's like I can see where I've been and how much territory I've covered. But.....since I've only been self diagnosed for a year and not done any swimming in that time it never occurred to me that my swimming styles could be influenced by Asperger's and the inability to coordinate so many physical components. Very interesting observation, TallyMan.