Page 136 of 794 [ 12696 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 133, 134, 135, 136, 137, 138, 139 ... 794  Next

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

21 Mar 2008, 4:58 am

Benji_million wrote:
Proof that I'm an aspie!

Tu sombrero es muy bueno amigo!

ack... I can say it better in English... your sombrero is pretty cool friend!

Do all aspies wear sombreros with lights? :P

TrubPotto
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2008, 3:45 am

LabPet wrote:
In fact, there is an 'autistic look,' and the pictures, in sum, are illustrative of this. I think our eyes have commonalities. And our gaze.

I'm intrigued by this statement, LabPet. Could you elaborate? What do you think the "autistic look" is?

Benji - awesome photo, haha

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 2:03 pm

I strive to be objective, but there truly is a look - and many (professionals in the neuro/psych field) have noted this as well. Not really quantifiable, but here's the general consensus: Our neuropathy is different (ie: our heads really are put together differently) - form follows function. Many (most) Aspies/Auties have BIG wide-set eyes and, I'm told, near-sightedness is significantly high occurence, relative to general population. We are known for being really pale, within parameters of our ethnicity, of course. This feature is noted! Often Aspies/Auties have 'softer' features and look young - like children. A bit 'baby-faced.' Our gaze is distinct - seemingly looking away, or a distracted look. My pupils are always dilated and I'm really photosensitive; others here are too.

Yes, interesting. Also, autistics have a predominance of rh negative blood (don't know why, but it is so). I have rh negative blood, btw.

TrubPotto
Raven
Raven

22 Mar 2008, 3:11 pm

That's really fascinating. I'll have to scope that out some more...

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

22 Mar 2008, 7:03 pm

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 12:32 am

LabPet wrote:
I strive to be objective, but there truly is a look - and many (professionals in the neuro/psych field) have noted this as well. We are known for being really pale, within parameters of our ethnicity, of course. This feature is noted! Often Aspies/Auties have 'softer' features and look young - like children. A bit 'baby-faced.'

I WISH ! !!

My mug looks like a roadmap for a particularly nasty mountain highway ! !!

Sora
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 10:17 am

LabPet wrote:
I strive to be objective, but there truly is a look - and many (professionals in the neuro/psych field) have noted this as well. Not really quantifiable, but here's the general consensus: Our neuropathy is different (ie: our heads really are put together differently) - form follows function. Many (most) Aspies/Auties have BIG wide-set eyes and, I'm told, near-sightedness is significantly high occurence, relative to general population. We are known for being really pale, within parameters of our ethnicity, of course. This feature is noted! Often Aspies/Auties have 'softer' features and look young - like children. A bit 'baby-faced.' Our gaze is distinct - seemingly looking away, or a distracted look. My pupils are always dilated and I'm really photosensitive; others here are too.

Yes, interesting. Also, autistics have a predominance of rh negative blood (don't know why, but it is so). I have rh negative blood, btw.

Interesting. Thanks for posting that LabPet!

mikegee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2008, 12:04 pm

me, like 5 years ago, at age 39; sunburned and beer buzzed! hehe

and...

me last year; what a poser! haha

earth to mike! earth to mike! are you reading me? lol

i noticed i rarely look eye to eye to a camera. when i do, it looks like i'm giving it the stare down, i dont know why this is, but it's my reality...

here's my music site:

myspace.com/mikegeorgemusic

Last edited by mikegee on 23 Mar 2008, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mikegee
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

23 Mar 2008, 12:18 pm

Sora wrote:
LabPet wrote:

Interesting. Thanks for posting that LabPet!

i've often thought about this very subject!

hmmm,

- i have big wide set eyes, but i usually squint because most light is too bright for me. if people see me at nite or in a relatively darker room, they usually ask me "what's up with your eyes? they look different... why are you so wide eyed. your eyes look bigger than normal?" hehe

- i'm near sighted

- i was born a pale white skinned red head, and i'm still very pale, except for when i sunburn, then i am a rock lobster, and also, if i am flustered about something, or if i am excited, my whiteness turns a red ruddied appearance for a bit, like my skin tone changes due to emotional states of excitement or concern. weird.!

- ok, i am 44, and i kid you not, this is so very true; on a good day, when i am well rested and clean shaven, and wearing something casual like t shirt and raggy jeans, and i go to the store to buy beer, i get carded. this happens a lot! they look at my i.d. and give me that sceptical look, like it's fake. of course, i am giddy whenever this happens, because, hey, they are thinking i look less than half my age!! ! my mom is in her late 60s, and she looks like shes in her early 50s, by the way (it could be an unrelated genetic thing...)

- and most of my photos are sort of skewed, as i'm either facing away from a camera, and peeking at it, or i'm facing the camera, but looking away from it.

very interesting!! thanks for that intriguing post

mike

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

23 Mar 2008, 3:19 pm

LabPet wrote:

i'm O-

and also, i kind of think autism has to do with paedomorphosis, which is one reason i'm interested in studying brain synapses controlling maturation of the functioning of brain structures.

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

TrubPotto
Raven
Raven

24 Mar 2008, 2:25 am

Sedaka wrote:
i'm O-

and also, i kind of think autism has to do with paedomorphosis, which is one reason i'm interested in studying brain synapses controlling maturation of the functioning of brain structures.

Paedomorphosis? As in the retention of juvenile phenotypes like what's typically seen in domesticated animals compared to wild ancestors? How do you figure the relationship?

I totally apologize for veering this thread off on a tangent. If people are getting distracted by this, I'll stop asking or just PM any further questions.

JerryHatake - you look EXACTLY like a guy I knew in high school. My mind is blown!

Sedaka
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 11:33 am

TrubPotto wrote:
Sedaka wrote:
i'm O-

Paedomorphosis? As in the retention of juvenile phenotypes like what's typically seen in domesticated animals compared to wild ancestors? How do you figure the relationship?

I totally apologize for veering this thread off on a tangent. If people are getting distracted by this, I'll stop asking or just PM any further questions.

JerryHatake - you look EXACTLY like a guy I knew in high school. My mind is blown!

paedomorphosis is also seen in the wild... it's not strictly a domestication-related issue... it just has to do with altering developmental speeds... which i'm sure does happen with domestication.... but that's just a subset of instances.

and i figure the relationship by exactly some of the things LabPet stated and by getting into neuroscience literature for the genes i study.

as i stated earlier, the genes i work with govern various aspects of information integration which thus allow complex associative learning patterns that are vital for cognitive functioning in adults. these same genes are also thought to govern when brain structures mature because only after these genes go through a functional shift in their composition, do any of the brain structures that they are in begin to function at the adult "level." the brain structure i study these genes in is thought to be related to autism and the age at which these genes cause the brain structure to mature is ~3-5 yrs-old, which is right around when autistic phenotypes begin showing behaviorally. i realize that is a correlation, but there is a lot of other literature directly linking this specific structure to autism... this is a developing theory on the subject.

but since it's the developmental maturation being dysregulated here... it can be considered paedomorphosis.

to go along with what labpet said... i think this has to do with it, cause aspies/auties retain a childlike mind in some regards :)

got free science papers?

www.pubmed.gov
www.sciencedirect.com
http://highwire.stanford.edu/lists/freeart.dtl

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 4:14 pm

JerryHatake wrote:

You look great Jerry!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 4:16 pm

Bluesummers wrote:

Me holding my son when he was just a wee one :heart:

You and your son both look awesome!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 4:20 pm

Ozzy wrote:
Me

Hey, another Portlander!

What high school did you go to?

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

24 Mar 2008, 4:48 pm

SDFarsight wrote:
I've already posted my pic in the other thread, but here goes anyway...

You look great! :D