Page 149 of 360 [ 5749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 ... 360  Next

Bramble_King
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2010, 3:40 am

What is your first name? Brandon

Hobbies and Interests: Pop Culture, music, and Environmental worry.

Why are you here? It's hard to put in words.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Need to find a center first, But I know I have AS.

Favorite subjects: Books, Music, and digging tunnels

Year/Grade: Self educated

Favorite music: Alt-Country

Books: Stephen King and David Sedaris, for now.

TV shows/Movies: Don't get me started.

Instrument: Drums and Guitars

Do you like sports? Not too much.

Family: Grandparents are my life.

Clothing: Whatever's not played out.

How did you find this website? I found myself at the bottom of the well.

Job: Life experienced

Plans for the future? Don't know yet, but hopefully I'll find the answer.

Any comments? After 30 years of wondering who I am and why I'm so different from EVERYBODY, I finally hope to meet people who are like myself.

Darth_Andrew
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 May 2010, 1:41 pm

What is your first name? Andrew

Hobbies and Interests: Video games (playing and 3D modeling), music (mainly just listening), and pretty much anything I can do with my Aspie life partner!

Why are you here? I'm here because I want to actually fit into some form of society, and I want to be able to understand and get along with other people who I now know are like me.

When were you diagnosed?: I self-diagnosed myself only a month ago.

Favorite subjects: In school? Math, science and any 3D animation class.

Year/Grade: currently attending Community College.

Favorite music: I love Metal (Heavy, Black, Death, Speed, Trash, etc.). Specific favorite bands are Tool, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Cake, and Metallica.

Books: Harry Potter, the Star Wars expanded universe, and The Dresden Files.

TV shows/Movies: oh don't get me started...

Instrument: Guitar Hero...sad yes, but the drums are great for stimming.

Do you like sports? No team sports

Family: A father with AS (I'm an almost complete carbon copy of him in most ways), one younger sister who I cannot connect with at all, and a mother who I also cannot connect with or even really talk to.

Clothing: I usually wear all black and a band t-shirt.

How did you find this website? Wikipedia actually.

Job: I'm the assistant office manager at my fathers Optometry office.

Plans for the future? I want to have a happy and fruitful life spent with my Aspie soul mate.

Reverie
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 May 2010, 1:20 am

What is your first name? Isaac

Hobbies and Interests: Photography, Drawing, Music, Internet

Why are you here? I came across the forum by accident, and after reading some of the post I was quite intrigued by how well I could familiarize myself with what people were talking about.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):

Favorite subjects: I guess science and music.

Year/Grade: Done with school atm

Favorite music: Alternative Rock, Metal, Nu Metal, Trance, Ambient, Chill, Drum and Bass, Dubstep, Electronic

Books: It's been a while since I've picked one up. Just to name a few: The little prince, The Secret Life Of Plants, Julie of the Wolves, Alice and Wonderland, The Alchemist, His Dark Materials trilogy

TV shows/Movies: Supernatural, Fringe, Dexter, Lost, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, Angel, Doctor Who, House M.D., The Vampire Diaries

Instrument: Guitar, Piano

Do you like sports? Not really anymore, I use to be into sports when I was a kid.

Family: Mom, and a cat. haha

Clothing: I don't really like anything too colorful. Sort of vintage/casual, distressed/broken-in straight and lowrise jeans. I have a few pairs of converse, and some frye boots that I really love.

How did you find this website? Google!

Job: Nada =(

Plans for the future? I'm feeling a bit lost right now, I guess my plans for the future are to just find some type of happiness and sense of belonging in the actual world, and not just my own world.

Any comments? Cool forum, looking forward to reading more, and maybe even find some answers.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 May 2010, 2:43 am

Welcome to WP, fellow Texan!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

CosmicRuss
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 9:51 am

What is your first name? Russ

Hobbies and Interests: Reality TV, photography, video/YouTube, royalty, driving

Why are you here? I fell in and am stuck here

When were you diagnosed? Still to arrange that

Favorite subjects: Royalty, driving, repairing things [for other people, I don't break things]

Year/Grade: - ?

Favorite music: Anything really but usually just to drive along to

Books: I only read non-fiction

TV shows/Movies: Documentaries, nature [no snakes though], comedy, don't watch films much.

Instrument: Used to play a tuba at school.

Do you like sports? Only to watch [no soccer/football though]

Family: Live alone but have parents, 2 brothers, their partners, their children.

Clothing: I wear some items that I have had 18 years [they're still good - honest]

How did you find this website? Gosh 2 days later and I can't remember. Google ?

Job: I haven't worked for 12 years now, partly physical/partly Aspergers.

Plans for the future? I hope to find a similar life partner to share experiences with.

Any comments? I look forward to reading all about you. I feel at home here. :D

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 2:01 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

keriEFC
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

03 May 2010, 5:12 pm

What is your first name? keri

Hobbies and Interests: cinema, watching sports especially football, history

Why are you here? feels like ive found a home

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): not diagnosed but i present characteristics of AS

Favorite subjects:

Year/Grade:

Favorite music: Im stuck in the 1990's

Books: Non fiction mainly

TV shows/Movies: bette davis, marlene dietrich movies...dont watch much tv

Instrument: guitar

Do you like sports? yes football...the european type

Family:

Clothing: comfortable stuff

How did you find this website? googled

Job: full time

Plans for the future? contentment

Any comments?

puddingmouse
Veteran
Veteran

03 May 2010, 5:25 pm

What is your first name? Sarah

Hobbies and Interests: history, visiting art galleries, cookery, hiking, reading about different countries and looking at maps, reading about religion and mythology, playing computer games, animals and nature (but not in a sentimental way, I observe the amorality and indifference of nature all the time.)

Why are you here? Dyspraxia and suspected Asperger's

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Dyspraxia when I was 15, not be diagnosed AS yet

Favorite subjects: History, English and Music

Year/Grade: BA from Leeds in 2008, PGCE in 2009

Favorite music: rock of all kinds and soul music

Books: too many

TV shows/Movies: I actually watch Eastenders. As for movies, I mainly like martial arts films and the occasional sci fi.

Instrument: bass guitar

Do you like sports? I like watching sports, especially darts (okay, that's probably not a sport.) I get sort of obsessed with major international sporting events...but I'm absolutely terrible at all forms of sport, myself.

Family: I have one, but I have not reproduced.

Clothing: I wear it, yes. I dunno, stuff I buy from department stores that looks sort of smart-casual and socially acceptable, but which says nothing about my personality. I used to try and dress vintage when I was younger, but probably just looked like a crazy person.

How did you find this website? it was mentioned in a New Scientist article.

Job: I'm a teacher, get me out of here!

Plans for the future? I should probably have some plans. Get another job, and try not to get really depressed whilst looking for another job.

Google18
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

03 May 2010, 8:38 pm

What is your first name? Tyler

Hobbies and Interests: History, Baseball

Why are you here? I’ve asked that question my entire life

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): when I was 8

Favorite subjects: US History, Civics, Biology

Year/Grade: Freshman

Favorite music: 60’s, 70’s & 80’s

Books: Influence of Sea Power Upon History: 1660-1783, On War, We Were Soldiers Once… and Young

TV shows/Movies: Family Guy, Naked Gun, Airplane, Caddyshack

Instrument: none

Do you like sports? Yes, baseball

Family: yes, I have some

Clothing: only when I don’t want to get arrested, uh... I have three sets

How did you find this website? friend

Job: student

Plans for the future? nope

racedad68
Butterfly
Butterfly

04 May 2010, 7:01 pm

What is your first name? Allen

Hobbies and Interests: flying, astronomy/space, cars, and building things--almost anything. My screen name refers to my older son's racing number. He's really FAST, although he's not racing right now.

Why are you here? My younger son (12) has been diagnosed with AS for about a year. Since last spring I've learned that I also have it (not formally diagnosed, but the psychiatrist says he's as sure as he can be without a formal evaluation), and my older son and wife also have many of the signs.

Favorite subjects: Everything in the interests above, plus how minds work and almost anything technical.

Grade/year: BS Aero engineering, MIT, 1984

Favorite music: Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd, Jimmy Buffet

Books: Thousands and thousands. But I always come back to Isaac Azimov.

TV/Movies: The Fifth Element, Groundhog Day. First three seasons of Stargate SG1. House. The current Dr. Who series.

Instrument: Stereo. I'm the only member of my family that doesn't play an instrument, even though I've built or rebuilt several for the boys.

Do you like sports? Except for racing (sports and stock cars), not really. Definitely not to watch, although the 2010 Winter Olympics were interesting.

Family: Wife, two boys (12 and "almost 14"), one dog, three cats, twelve fish.

Clothing: shorts, t-shirt, sandals or barefoot whenever possible.

How did you find this website? I don't remember; I lurked for a while before joining.

Job: I am an engineer for a large corporation, and currently technical lead on two projects, one tiny and one medium-sized (10 people). I don't want to deal with our big production programs but have found a nice home in the "make up cool new stuff" department. Non-ordinary people with unusual ideas are appreciated there, especially if they have the self discipline to give their ideas a fair test.

Plans for the future? Get my boys, especially the younger one, through school without too much more damage.

electrifiedspam
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

04 May 2010, 7:29 pm

What is your first name? Chris

Hobbies and Interests: Computers, Programming, and Theology

Why are you here? I have undiagnosed Aspergers

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): not yet

Favorite subjects: Math and English. I hated Biology and Chemistry.

Year/Grade: HA - Those days are long gone!

Favorite music: mmmmm Music. Anything from Cat Stevens, to System of a down. If it is well written I will listen to it (20 or 30 times a day if I have too.)

Books: Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz. I don't see dead people but I can relate.

TV shows/Movies: The Office.

Instrument:

Do you like sports? no

Family: Wife, 5 kids 10yr, 8yr, 2 @ 5yr, 6mo.

Clothing: Usually

How did you find this website? Google, the search engine by aspies for aspies.

Job: Electrician / programmer. I am a control engineer with out the fancy sheep skin.

Plans for the future? 2 words. Live, Better.

Any comments? Thank you all for being you.

Exclavius
Veteran
Veteran

04 May 2010, 10:07 pm

Well, i am new here to this forum, and it's my first post, I found this thread, and figured it would be a very place to start off.

What is your first name? Luke

Hobbies and Interests: Nature (fishing, camping, kayaking etc It's all about the solitude) Science (Physics, Relativity, Cosmology, Genetics) Philosophy (Memetics, Reason, Moral Relativism) Reading & writing about the above

Why are you here? I'm seeking the questions that I need to answer to understand the things i need to know... Plus as I recently became a father, I feel it only responsible to look further into this, due to the genetic aspects of it.

When were you diagnosed? Not diagnosed professionally, rather i have just come to accept that I either have Asperger's or at the very least a strong similarity in traits. But as i do not see it as a disability, I do not seek a diagnosis, per se.

Year/Grade: HBa Economics & Statistics class of 96.

Favorite music: Not sure i have a favourite style, but folk, 70's rock, some country (but not new country) are high on the list, mainly what i don't like is where the music is just noise, and the lyrics are unintelligible.
Favourite song: Rush - Freewill

Favourite Authors: Richard Dawkins, Susan Blackmore, Roger Penrose, Ayn Rand (not for her specific philosophy, but for her general ideas) If i have to add a fiction author, Terry Goodkind.

TV shows/Movies: Documentaries mostly, but for diversion I like psycho-drama/thrillers and good mind-comedy such as british comedy (best being Monty Python)

Instrument: Musical? none. I prefer a pen... or a keyboard.

Do you like sports? The last 5 minutes of a close basketball game (ie, where it all comes down to strategy)

Family: a 10 1/2 week old son.

Clothing: Whatever is at the top of the pile.. but the whole pile is black jeans and mostly over-colourful shirts.

How did you find this website? Wikipedia.

Job: I own my own business selling Wallpaper, window blinds and used goods (kinda half flea-market have decorating shoppe)

Plans for the future? Raising my son in whatever world that lies ahead of us, writing a book about social issues such as moral relativism, how ideas and their way of spreading (ie memetics) have taken a life of their own in the human species and how that spreading method controls society as well as the individual, and how freewill and the exercise thereof can set us free of that control.

Any comments? I guess I'm reaching out in a way, despite not being one who seeks social interaction, for people who think not necessarily the same things, but the same way. Asperger's is a 1 in 4000 thing, and most of us do the best we can to hide it, even if not for the desire to hide it, but for the desire to cope with the society in which we live... So finding others is the colloquial needle in a haystack, but with the added twist that the needle disguises itself as a stalk of hay.
Yet, I'm getting sicker and sicker of this trying to conform to what society expects of me, and it's over the past while lead me to a major breakdown, persistent trauma and and panic attacks. I feel that I'm nearing what I seek, which is a theory that bridges my own view of the world, and what is wrong with the social order. Those free of the two issues i see most destructive to mankind are those that should offer the best insight for me in my search. Those issues being the "need to copy others, just for the sake of copying" and secondly "the inability to bypass our emotional over-rides"/"putting emotion over reason"
The book i plan to write, likely will never be published save for perhaps on the internet by myself, but I need to write it, disjointed as it likely will be, because i feel that once i do, i'll be better able to communicate those core issues to others... A skill I utterly lack.

lemon
Veteran
Veteran

05 May 2010, 8:29 am

welcome to the newcomers! (welcome home ;) )

ha, sarah ... a teacher, just like me (my name is sarah too), i'm a bit older though

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in capitalistic police state called USA

05 May 2010, 4:27 pm

What is your first name? Nicholas but call me Nick

Hobbies and Interests: music, computer/internet, TV, movies, SciFi, comedy, playing older video-games, playing with my chinchilla

Why are you here? I'm looking for friends & a relationship. It's possible I have Aspergers or have very similar issues. I knew a couple people years ago who had things on the autism spectrum & I mite could relate well to people here.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): I was diagnosed as dyslexic & ADHD sense I started school & a doc who re-certified for dyslexia in high-school suspected I had AS. I was having a lot of mental problems when I was close to 21 & the 1st psych I saw then also suspected I had AS but when I was officially tested my diagnoses was changed to Schizoid Personality Disorder. I have a rare vision disorder where I'm nearsighted so the docs felt some of my problems wer caused by my low vision. I've been diagnosed as having lots of other contradictorily things as well.

Favorite subjects: I hated school & struggled in most all my class except I did well in Environmental Science, General Business & Business Math. They wer more praictical common sense stuff & not useless memorization.

Year/Grade: 2001

Favorite music: I listen to lots of different types of music & it's waaay to much for me to list but I've been listening to a lot of pop, EMO & comedy lately. I'm very immature OK?!

Books: I don't read much except online cuz I zone out & day-dream lot.

TV shows/Movies: I like watching TV but there's not many shows I watch regularly other than Family Guy & some similar adult type cartoons. StarTrek is great but it's all reruns of coarse as is most of the TV I watch. I don't mind going to see most any type of movie.

Instrument: I tried learning to play guitar when I was in 7th/8th but I have horrible fine motor skills & quit shortly after. I don't play any instruments.

Do you like sports? I always HATED sports

Family: I'm an only child & still live with parents(my mom hates having me here)

Clothing: Shorts & white T`shirts. It's usually hot & humid here & they are comfortable. I do not care about fashion at all.

How did you find this website? I've heard some good things about this place on some other sites but never got around to checking it out till now. I'm new & this is my 1st post but so for this place seems nice.

Job: I'm on disability & looking for work at the moment because I have vision problems & tremor disorder where I shake sometimes when doing things with fine motor skills. My 1st job was a dish-washer & I hated it but I've had two custodial jobs after that & I didn't mind the work.

Plans for the future? I'm trying to find a job rite now & I'm looking for friends & possible more. Not much else I can do at the moment. I'm kind of trapped/stuck.

Any comments? If anyone is looking for friends Please message me. You can check out my MySpace pro that's listed in my pro here for more info

ILoveMew
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

05 May 2010, 5:55 pm

What is your first name?Matthew

Hobbies and Interests:Pokemon

Why are you here?I want to talk about Pokemon

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):3yrs

Favorite subjects:science

Year/Grade:7th

Favorite music:N/A

Books:Nonfiction

TV shows/Movies:Pokemon

Instrument:N/A

Do you like sports?No

My Family has problems

Clothing:Do not care about a.k.a. mom picks them out.

How did you find this website?with moms help

Job:N/A

Plans for the future?Entering the Pokemon Video Game Regional Championships.

Any comments?N/A

PaleMoon
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 May 2010, 1:06 am

What is your first name? Jennifer but you can call me Jenna

Hobbies and Interests: Reading, writing, daydreaming, researching endlessly on the 'net

Why are you here? To meet other people like me who are on the autistic spectrum.

When were you diagnosed?: Officially at the age of 14, but I have shown classic symptoms (tics, easily overstimulated, high intelligence but less socially inclined) since I was around 4.

Favorite subjects: Gymnastics, European royal history, mental health, medicine/hospitals general odd/unusual trivia (did you know octopuses are the most intelligent of invertebrates and function at the level of a human 3-year-old?)

Year/Grade: Currently between grades, I've finished high school as of today...so perhaps a first-year college student now?

Favorite music: Pretty much anything except hardcore rap/hip-hop.

Books: Anything historical fiction, non-fiction, or fantasy/sci fi. Favorite writers include: Phillipa Gregory, Eoin Colfer, Erin Hunter, and Alison Weir.

TV shows/Movies: House, Nurse Jackie, The Duchess, The Young Victoria, The Other Boleyn Girl, Marie Antoinette (are we sensing a theme to my favorite movies? All historical costume dramas. I like to correct them on their inaccuracies and stare at the pretty clothes).

Instrument: Flute all the way. And it's not just for girls either. Six years of my life I devote to that thing, and the best player I ever met was a guy my age!

Do you like sports? Oh yes. Basically anything except american football, basketball, and golf.

Family: An mom, a dad, stepdad, stepsister (age 22), stepbrother (24), an older Aspie brother (21), and his wife, my sister-in-law. In other words, I'm the youngest of the four kids my mom and stepdad share. They're having major letting-go issues since we're all now grown.

Clothing: Must be loose, 100% cotton, but otherwise I don't care. Considering this is the opposite of how most girl's clothes are made, I am a horror to shop with.

How did you find this website? From a friend.

Job: I've worked for a year at McDonald's (glamorous, I know), but now I am going to be an orderly at a local hospital to jump-start my nursing career.

Plans for the future? Get a car, my own apartment, attend Nursing Assistant and then Nursing school, get married, have kids, revolutionize modern mental healthcare. You know, the usual.

Any comments? Excellent idea :).