Page 210 of 360 [ 5749 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 207, 208, 209, 210, 211, 212, 213 ... 360  Next

infinitenull
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2012, 9:11 am

What is your first name? Not quite ready to admit that. Another forum calls me "Inni" for short.

Hobbies and Interests: Cars, The evolution of computing and the internet (yay clouds! ha ha ha), mixed feelings about music but still interested, cooking.

Why are you here? Because I've been reading up on diagnosis and such. I am trying to decide if I want to ask a Doc or not. It's quite possible that if I have aspergers that it answers 2 important questions: why are some things so darn difficult, and how come I have this "other perspective" that people have mixed feelings about.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): I may seek diagnosis this year in 2012

Favorite subjects: Computer science and algebra/statistics (Math minus basic arithmetic)

Year/Grade: I dropped out of high school twice so that I could have time to study on my own. Eventually got my GED just because there was a job that expected it.

Favorite music: Electronic dance music (house, dubstep, breakbeat, hardstyle, downtempo), punk rock, and hiphop

Books: The answer to life the universe and everything is 42... <fans will know. I also loved a book called "the place" by TM Wright. It's out of print but I recently bought a copy from amazon and am looking forward to rereading it.

TV shows/Movies: Shameless, Hos its made, Oddities, Subtitled Anime (easier to understand context if I can hear them speak in Japanese), Movies would be anything by Tarrantino, John Waters, or Miasaki

Instrument: I've played a few...

Do you like sports? No...

Family: I have intentionally cut myself off from my family :) It's been a very helpful life choice.

Clothing: Casual I think?

How did you find this website? Searching for information about AS diagnosis

Job: Analyst at a big company. I crunch numbers and tell my bosses what they should do as a result of the data.

Plans for the future? Live a pleasant life I guess.

Any comments? First post ever... or at least on this forum... The structure seemed easier than starting a "hi I am new" thread

bluntedboywonder
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

01 Jan 2012, 8:59 pm

What is your first name? Bram

Hobbies and Interests: music in general, especially film music, popular science

Why are you here? I was diagnosed only 10 months ago and I am still on a journey of discovery

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): about 10 months ago, at age 30

Favorite subjects: World affairs, American Politics (and for some reason Dutch and European politics don't interest me at all) popular scientific topics, especially astronomy, palaeoanthropology and general history

Favorite music: movie music

Books: Science Fiction, Fantasy and non-fiction, especially when it's science or history related

TV shows/Movies: Currently: Big Bang Theory, Dexter, Breaking Bad, Star Trek TNG. List of movies is too long :p

Do you like sports? Not in the least

Family: 1 brother, 2 sisters. Dad died but mom still lives. Also: I never really identified with them and they never really understood what I am about so my contact with them is amiable but limited.

Clothing: Casual, nothing that catches the eye.

How did you find this website? Googling "Aspergers community

Job: Apple, senior helpdesk agent.

Plans for the future? Keeping my head above water. Figuring out a way to have a fulltime job and still have the energy levels to work on my creative talents

Boxman108
Veteran
Veteran

03 Jan 2012, 7:23 pm

What is your first name?
Travis

Hobbies and Interests:
Writing, reading, drawing, playing video games and designing my own

Why are you here?
To see what others are like. I've never given much thought as to what exactly differentiates me from other "normal" people, just that everyone is unique in their own way, but I've grown more interested in seeing how others live or view different things and be able to say that I can't speak for everyone.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder):
Honestly I can't remember myself. My mother thinks that this has to do with me not talking for quite a while, and earlier memories being more connected to vocabulary(or, in this case, the lack of it), so I guess I might be inclined to agree with that. But as far as I know from what she's told me, I was around 2 years when I was diagnosed and started going to therapy.

Favorite subjects:
Recess. :p Always hated school because I found it to be boring and a waste of time that could be better spent doing other things. Eventually came to be homeschooled, though. We did things a bit differently outside of required stuff, so I guess I learned a lot about history and psychology and sociology aside from things I already liked to do with art and writing.

Year/Grade:
Graduated high school. Haven't really decided whether I should go to college, because I don't want to go and still not be able to find a job afterwards, and I'm still not sure what it is I want to learn.

Favorite music:
I think my father has had an influence on the kind of music I like, which is mostly classic rock. There are some exceptions and I generally don't like to group things together anyway. Particular bands I would list are the Beatles, Pink Floyd, Queen, ACDC, the Doors, Talking Heads...I think I could go on for a long time. :p

Books:
While reading Harry Potter with my mother got me into books in general, I've found some since then that have more meaning for me. Flowers for Algernon is one, and I'vve enjoyed a lot of Stephen King books, namely Misery, Hearts in Atlantis, and The Dead Zone.

TV shows/Movies:
Lost will probably remain my favorite ever for as long as I live. :p The Mentalist is also fun, too, though, and Once Upon a Time seems to be a lot like Lost in a good way. Then there are the funnier shows like South Park or Beavis & Butthead or Family Guy.

Instrument:
Nothing. I'm really not good at music at all, and only ever do slightly decent at games like Rock Band. I have done a bit of fooling around with midi programs like Anvil Studios, especially when trying to make background music for games.

Do you like sports?
Playing them is more fun than watching, but generally they bore me and I have a hard time understanding why somebody would watch such a repetitive game for hours on end.

Family:
Mom, dad, two younger sisters, and one older brother who was diagnosed with having ADHD. Used to not get along so well as kids, which I guess might be normal anyway, but now that we're older everything's cool.

Clothing:
Anything that fits and is comfy enough is fine with me. :p I'm not too picky and don't care about any sort of cliques or whatever else. Maybe I just really don't have a passion for fashion.

How did you find this website?
Been watching a lot of videos on youtube about autism in general and just heard about it.

Job:
None at the moment, and it's been hard for the past couple years despite getting a few job interviews that seemed to go nowhere. I did have a job as a dishwasher for a while, and before that as a kid I did have my own soda stand for the summer. :p

Plans for the future?
I'm not sure I really have any set plans. Just to still look for a job and maybe go to college someday, and in the meantime work on my writing and drawing skills. Have thought about becoming an author or comic strip artist of some kind, but I've also wanted to do stuff with video games, but that seems like a less realistic goal.

Any comments?
Now I'm not sure how I should answer this question. :p I guess I'd like to say that I hope to stick around and just read about others' experiences as well as interests and getting to know them, regardless of any arbitrary differences.

Katz
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

04 Jan 2012, 4:58 pm

What is your first name? Katz

Hobbies and Interests: Cats, Languages/Linguistics, History, Politics, all sorts of social sciences

Why are you here? Asperger's

When were you diagnosed?: Figured it out for myself April 2011; screened by a psychiatrist September 2011; awaiting further testing.

Favorite subjects: Cats

Year/Grade: MA Physical Chemistry, 1997

Favorite music: Classic Rock, Classical

Instrument: Piano, Vocal

Do you like sports? NO

Family: Avoid them whenever possible because of abuse and religious differences. :( Never married, no kids.

Clothing: Comfortable

How did you find this website? I found "Scientist's" list of Aspie tests. (Thank you Scientist! :) )

Job: Disabled by anxiety/social ineptitude/depression :cry:

Plans for the future? Try to survive. I had hoped to become a chemistry professor until my anxiety got too bad for me to cope.

Any comments? My social fears extend to online, so I tend to be a lurker. Give me some time.

recycledwit
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jan 2012, 2:33 pm

What is your first name? Kayley

Hobbies and Interests: cats, painting/drawing, cooking, ancient religious and occult texts, astrology, MMORPGs, cosmology, music, coding

Why are you here? I heard of the website from an article, and thought that maybe I could find people who could understand me and that I could relate to without judgement.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): My mom and I both have Asperger's, but have not been diagnosed. I wanted to get diagnosed when I started going to therapy last year, but have thus far not been able to breach the subject out of awkwardness.

Favorite subjects: Religion, Sociology, Cosmology, Physics, Languages

Year/Grade: Graduated with BA

Favorite music: metal (sludge, stoner, black, death, southern), classic country, ambient/space rock, old school hip-hop, funk/disco, classic rock, electronic

Books: Right now I'm reading the Peter Pan series by Barrie. I'm also in the middle of the The Brothers Grossbart.

TV shows/Movies: This American Life, Tim & Eric Awesome Show, The Mighty Boosh, Adventure Time, Regular Show, Twin Peaks, The Office, IT Crowd, Modern Family, Lost, Dexter, King of the Hill, RuPaul's Drag Race, Cowboy Bebop, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Star Trek, Spy, Rocko's Modern Life... Stop Making Sense, Searching for the Wrong-Eyed Jesus, Oh God!, What Dreams May Come, Dead Alive, Beetlejuice, Everything is Illuminated, Forrest Gump, SLC Punk!, Quills...

Instrument: piano, drums, Kaossilator, learning to play guitar

Do you like sports? Mostly just baseball.

Family: Husband, 2 cats, and 2 dogs.

Clothing: I don't know. Weird?

How did you find this website? Through an article.

Job: Official title is Media Production Assistant, but basically I'm a web/graphic/video designer.

Plans for the future? Who knows? My dream life would be working from home, and creating lots of things.

Any comments? I hope to utilize this site more. It's hard for me to make posts without overanalyzing or feeling awkward, but I'm going to try. :)

JMN
Butterfly
Butterfly

05 Jan 2012, 8:59 pm

What is your first name? J. That's my entire legal first name. I go by Michael

Hobbies and Interests: Sports, particularly baseball and ice hockey; role-playing; reading, particularly science fiction and history; music; my three cats

Why are you here? I'm looking for a community to belong to.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): Fall, 2010

Favorite subjects: Almost anything. My bachelor's degree is in statistics and history and I have a master's degree in accountancy

Year/Grade: I graduated from high school in 1986.

Favorite music: Prog rock. Some of my favorite bands are: Rush; Dire Straits and Mark Knopfler; Sylvan; Marillion; Queen

Books: My favorite book is probably End of the World Blues by Jon Courtenay Grimwood.

TV shows/Movies: My television isn't hooked up to an antenna or cable, so I don't watch anything current. Firefly would have to be my favorite of all time. My favorite movie is either Casablanca or The English Patient.

Instrument: None

Do you like sports? Yes. I have season tickets to the University of Minnesota's women's hockey team. I'll watch almost anything other than basketball, but hockey and baseball are at the top. Some Australian friends have gotten me into cricket, which I enjoy.

Family: My parents live in Michigan and a I have a sister in Pennsylvania.

Clothing: Gray suits with brightly colored shirts and ties, Tommy Bahama clothes and hockey jerseys.

How did you find this website? My therapist gave me the address.

Job: I've been unemployed for six years. I'm looking for pretty much any job accounting related.

Plans for the future? Get a job. After that, we'll see.

Any comments?

Ddddd
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 11:05 am

Hobbies and Interests: guitar, keyboard, singing, drums, ocarina (lol), listening to music, collecting cd's

Why are you here? I think I might have asperger

Favorite subjects: Music, art, english, dutch

Year/Grade: 1st bachelor

Favorite music: Blink-182, Saves The Day, The All-American Rejects, Paramore, Sum 41, New Found Glory, Nirvana, Billy Talent, NOFX, A Day To Remember, Bowling For Soup, Dave Days, Box Car Racer, Melody Fall, Angels & Airwaves, The Flatliners, +44, Slick Shoes, Hawk Nelson, The Swellers, All Time Low, Motion City Soundtrack, The Academy Is..., Death Cab For Cutie, Teenage Bottlerocket, The Maine, Banner Pilot, Rufio, Panic At The Disco, Descendents, Weezer, Anti-Flag, Goldfinger, Sugarcult, No Use For A Name, Sunny Day Real Estate, Four Year Strong, Boys Like Girls, System Of A Down, Capital Lights, Eleventyseven, Ramones, Set Your Goals, Eminem, Yellowcard, H2O, Cute Is What We Aim For, Philmont, Fireworks, Hellogoodbye, Gorillaz, The Ataris, Parry Gripp, Alkaline Trio, Useless ID, Taking Back Sunday, What's Eating Gilbert, JamisonParker, You Me At Six, Piebald, The Cure, Chasing Highs, Ed Sheeran

Books: Death Note & Liar Game

TV shows/Movies: Doctor Who! Death Note, The Big Bang Theory, Liar Game, The Illusionist, The Experiment, Lion King, How To Train Your Dragon, Despicable Me, Pokémon 1st Movie, Waking Life, Rio, Mean Creek, Corpse Bride, Die Welle, Scary Movie 3, Harry Potter Series, The Number 23, Friends, House MD

Instrument: 2 electric guitars (gibson sg & cort zenox), 1 crappy acoustic guitar, 1 synth, 1 electric piano, 1 ocarina, electric drumkit

Do you like sports? NO

Clothing: Yes

How did you find this website? Google

Job: Student (high school teacher)

Plans for the future? Making music and share my songs with the world

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jan 2012, 12:18 pm

Welcome to WP, new members!

honey_bee89
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Jan 2012, 4:25 pm

What is your first name? Hannah

Hobbies and Interests: Horse riding, History, Cooking, Reading, Shopping, Art and Crafts, Gardening

Why are you here? I'm an aspie :) occasionally i like talking to people :P and it's interesting to discover the little quirks that we share as well as those things which make us totally unique :)

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): hmm, i don't reckon I feel disordered but i was diagnosed with asperger's when i was 17 (pretty late i'm told) It presents a few challenges still but I'm more at peace with myself now i know how my brain is wired :)

Favorite subjects: English, Biology, History, French, Spanish, Latin, Art (I liked the subjects, just not the rest of the whole school experience i.e. crowds, timetables, homework, pressure etc.)

Year/Grade: that's all behind me (at least for now!) I got my BSc in horticulture last year.

Favorite music: Some rock, some quieter stuff. Mainly introspective and for some reason I like songs in a minor key. (anyone else find this?)

Books: Historical and fantasy novels because i like to be transported to other times and worlds and a lot of factual books. Terry Pratchett is amazing; very funny and I love how he uses Discworld to parody our weird ways on this earth. I don't really like sci-fi because i find it difficult to imagine the setting and space just doesn't grasp me somehow.

TV shows/Movies: I can live without a lot of TV and find that not many recently produced movies cater to intelligent people. I'll mainly watch historical or fantasy films but a movie that always resonates with and uplifts me is Billy Elliot.

Instrument: My mum tried recorder, violin and piano lessons with me but I'm ashamed to admit I could never be bothered to practise. I always enjoyed singing though and am pretty good at it :)

Do you like sports? I used to run for my county at 800m, 300m and cross country. I gave up training when i was studying for A-level as it wasn't sustainable but i still get such an adrenaline rush watching athletics- it's like i'm on the starting line too! Team sports are a BIG no-no for me. My co-ordination isn't great and although i was okay at hockey it was more viciousness than anything :P

Family: My parents divorced when i was 7 so now I have: dad(also aspie) , mum, sister, half-brother, step mother, two stepsisters, three dogs two cats and some fish. My grandad on my mum's side is almost certainly an aspie too so i reckon i have a double-whammy :P

Clothing: Vintage/ English Eccentric. I slightly nod to fashion most of the time but I like to have wacky days where i dress in completely random stuff that makes me happy. (who wouldn't want to be a 17th century punk once in a while?!) It should give you a hint that i never have to buy clothes for fancy dress costumes...

How did you find this website? Google

Job: I work in a tree and shrub nursery.

Plans for the future? I'd like to work as a gardener for the National Trust or as an historic interpreter.

Any comments? I don't bite (often) so feel free to chat :P

LouHusky
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

06 Jan 2012, 4:35 pm

What is your first name? Louis

Hobbies and Interests: Radio Controlled Cars, Piano, Computing, Gaming

Why are you here? To talk to people on the same level

When were you diagnosed?: Toddlerhood

Favorite subjects: Maths, Science, Music

Year/Grade: Year 5

Favorite music: Varies. I Really like Tim Minchin

Books: Harry Potter

TV shows/Movies: The Simpsons, Family Guy

Instrument: Piano/Keyboard

Do you like sports? Ice Hockey

Family: 1 Younger Brother, Levi

Clothing: Footie Pajamas

How did you find this website? Dad told me

Job: School

Plans for the future? I don't know yet. I would like to work with computers.

Any comments? Yip, Yip, Yip, Yarf

lilbuddah
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Jan 2012, 7:38 pm

What is your first name?
Henry

Hobbies and Interests: Reading, internet, lockpicking, putting together little pneumatic things and writing furry fiction of questionable quality, not to mention the masterpiece that is My little pony.

Why are you here?
Looking for people to share my gleeful insanity with and possibly have an interesting chat along the way.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): young, about 5 with pretty severe AS

Favorite subjects: Geography, English lit and lang and biology

Year/Grade: 6th form (further ed between uni and high school)

Favorite music: Classic rock, Ska and a little Bach.

Books: Every discworld book, V for vendetta, social engineering: the art of human hacking

TV shows/Movies: V for vendetta(film adaptation), 9 (with the creepy ragdolls), Sherlock Holmes.

Instrument: Some training with a clarinet but I was never very good.

Do you like sports?
In a word? No.

Family: both parents and 2 sisters. They are my bane.

Clothing: Mostly brightly coloured shirts and trousers, mostly hemp(I love the texture) and always at least one or two sizes too big. And always with a bucket hat.

How did you find this website?
Suggested by a friend who probably still trolls these boards.

Job: Student, the pay isn't great...

Plans for the future?
Get a degree in Geology, attain enough money to fill a rather substantial hole, obtain a larger collection of silly hats than I have at present. Maybe have a breakdown and become institutionalised for a reason. This isn't a goal but I'm just planning ahead y'know.
Any comments?
Yup, I'm absolutely, genuinely insane and proud of it, I'm also brilliantly clever but that's not my main agenda. I'm the eccentric one in my somewhat limited circle of friends and if I tell people I collect my own toenails and sleep with them under my pillow, they will more than probably believe me(I have tested this).

Daniel59
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Jan 2012, 6:26 am

What is your first name? Daniel

Hobbies and Interests: guitar, physics, explosives, and biking.

Why are you here? to meet new people, learn, and contribute to the forums

Favorite subjects:math, physics, and chemistry.

Year/Grade:11

Favorite music: to much to type easily.

Books: the outsiders, the god effect, physics of the impossible, chaos.

TV shows/Movies:lord of the rings, the matrix, the big bang theory, v for vendetta, sourse code, avatar, terra nova, and the town.

Instrument:guitar

Do you like sports?yes

Clothing:yes usually. haha

How did you find this website? random google search.

Plans for the future?become physicist, start a family.

HazelEye
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

07 Jan 2012, 5:06 pm

What is your first name? Amy

Hobbies and Interests: Pokemon, reading, children, walking, internet

Why are you here? Got banned here before, thought I'd try again.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): 5-ish, I don't know the details

Favorite subjects: English

Year/Grade: 12th

Favorite music: Pop music, the soundtrack from Clerks

Books: Stephen King, Harry Potter, Alice in Wonderland, The Hunger Games

TV shows/Movies: Horror Films

Instrument: None

Do you like sports? Softball's fun

Family: A mom, an Aunt, and paternal grandparents

Clothing: I'm trying to be more fashionable, but I don't really look good in what I wear

How did you find this website? Google search

Job: Student, volunteer for Meals on Wheels and a YMCA daycare

Plans for the future? Go to college, become Preschool Teacher, have family

Any comments? No

Systematic87
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2012, 10:43 am

What is your first name? Aaron

Hobbies and Interests: Reading, Interet, Manchester united fc

Why are you here? Because it is my human right

When were you diagnosed? im 50/50 Diagniosed

Favorite subjects: Geography, science, criminology...

Favorite music: Niravana,Queen,Ub40 A wide variety.

Books: True Crime, And Bio & Autobiographies.

TV shows/Movies: Family Guy, Shameless UK and usa, Skins and Game shows.

Do you like sports? Football,Tennis, Rugby union,

Clothing: Usually dark dont feel comfortable in much else

How did you find this website? Good Old google

Job: No unfortunatly, there are too many f*****g people who dont adhere to the DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION ACT 2006

Plans for the future? Yeah was the simple lifwe living out near the top of canada somewhere

Any comments? NOT RIGHT NOW.

Asperdoc
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Jan 2012, 11:25 am

What is your first name? Derrick

Hobbies and Interests: Triathlons, Literature, Music, playing piano, playing with my cats, nanoblocks (recently became completely obsessed), video games, occasionally golf

Why are you here? Curiosity and to hear about others experiences

When were you diagnosed? Offically November 2011; my therapist had been toying with the idea for 2 years previously

Favorite subjects: Medicine (specifically Pathology), Organic chemistry, electromagnetism (physics), astronomy, philosophy

Favorite music: Trance, Classical, 80's, Ambient, other assorted songs from differing genres

Books: the Classics (War and Peace, anything by Dostoevsky, The Republic, Leaves of Grass, A Farewell to Arms, The Divine Comedy, Don Quixote, more...), American Psycho, The Beach, Brave New World, 1984, I am Charlotte Simmons, The Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, The Hobbit

TV shows/Movies: How It's Made, Planet Earth, Blue Planet, Wipeout, Major League Baseball, NFL football, March Madness Basketball, the weather channel

Do you like sports? Baseball, Football, Endurance sports, Rugby

Clothing: Winter/Autumn - Cashmere sweaters or cardigans with casual slacks; Summer/Spring - linen shorts and t-shirts

How did you find this website? Work of mouth

Job: Medical Student

Plans for the future? Residency in Pathology leading to one day being a full-fledged Pathologist

Any comments? Cool thread

Niniel
Raven
Raven

10 Jan 2012, 3:35 pm

What is your first name? Charlotte

Hobbies and Interests: Sewing, video games, reading

Why are you here? I think I have aspergers, and I am interested in learning more about it.

When were you diagnosed?(skip if you don't have a disorder): I do not have one.

Favorite subjects: History, english, arts

Favorite music: Rock, folk, classical.

Books: Lord of the rings, A song of Ice and Fire, Harry Potter, Veronika decides to die, Flowers for Algernon, Most of Bill Brysons books, Most of Richard Dawkins' books, Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy

TV shows/Movies: Game of thrones, True blood, Big bang theory, X-files, Doctor who

Do you like sports? No

Family: Husband, 2 kids.

Clothing: I like retro clothing, and dresses.

How did you find this website? web search

Job: No.

Plans for the future? Try to find a job I might actually like.

Any comments? This seemed like a good thread to start, before I get enough courage to start an introduction thread.