Leaving WP, possibly for good this time.

Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 6:47 pm

I have made the near-final decision to leave WP. And this time, it could be permanent.

When I first joined in July 2004, it was a very friendly support system. But lately, it's very difficult to get support from peers and colleagues. And I have tried to help people when they were going through difficult situations.

Now people are getting attacked for not having certain religious or political beliefs (or lack thereof in case of religion), even in the "Haven". Legitimate relationship advice is being ignored in the L&D folder, while threads with titles like "All Women are Possessed by the Devil" get tons of hits. And there is a lot of favoritism on here. If you're not one of the "VIPs", you will be constantly ignored.

I feel that I am no longer of use or service on here, despite my best intentions and efforts.

If anyone wants to contact me, feel free to do so via my e-mail or IMs.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 8:20 pm

i'm sorry to hear that, TimTex. haven't seen you around the threads all that much, but you seem like a good guy.

(except i had to ask someone else who Cartman was once, lol.)

take care!

exhausted
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 8:43 pm

ps: you might want to reconsider. remember: we're not known for the social skills, lol. but you don't know what kind of quiet effect you may have had on people's lives just through an addition on a thread.

i wish you well.

makuranososhi
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 9:10 pm

Will be sorry to see you go, Tim, if that is what you choose... but you have my best wishes no matter which course you opt to pursue.

M.

For those who seek an alternative, it is coming.

So long, and thanks for all the fish!

gbollard
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 10:07 pm

Nothing has to be final but it's probably good to take a long holiday.

You'll still be contactable so long as you don't kill your account or change to a different email address to the one you receive notifications on.

cyberscan
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 10:08 pm

I hope you change your mind and decide to stay. I can understand why both religion and politics make disagreeing parties mad. It is because both are used to make laws imposing restrictions on people. When people feel their freedom is being stepped upon, it tends to make them angry. This is one reason why I usually don't discuss either unless asked for my opinion.

DaWalker
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 10:25 pm

Sad to loose a local

So positive when vocal

Sorry this topic came to focal.

DaWalker tips his hat, to a fellow yokel.

But remember, most of our choices are chosen,

and that our friends are decisive decisions,

not to mention, our moods get frozen,

or that our fear can cause incisions,

your presence is ambrosian,

I hope for rescission's.

LabPet
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 10:46 pm

Tim_Tex: You've always been a favorite! If you do take that sabbatical or leave, the Lab Pet shall miss you. Although I don't frequent the L&D (and equivalent) too much but I know Aspie's can be peculiar (? right word) with affection. Mostly this is not meant personally but you probably know that already. Lab Pet associates you with being our special greeter and our stable vigilent guy - and why you're liked!

But understood....you could try other Forums and take a hiatus from the more socially oriented ones for a bit, yes? Love you, Tim_Tex. And so does V8, Lab Pet's robot. :sunny:

sinsboldly
Veteran
Veteran

13 Aug 2009, 11:29 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
I have made the near-final decision to leave WP. And this time, it could be permanent.

When I first joined in July 2004, it was a very friendly support system. But lately, it's very difficult to get support from peers and colleagues. And I have tried to help people when they were going through difficult situations.

Now people are getting attacked for not having certain religious or political beliefs (or lack thereof in case of religion), even in the "Haven". Legitimate relationship advice is being ignored in the L&D folder, while threads with titles like "All Women are Possessed by the Devil" get tons of hits. And there is a lot of favoritism on here. If you're not one of the "VIPs", you will be constantly ignored.

I feel that I am no longer of use or service on here, despite my best intentions and efforts.

If anyone wants to contact me, feel free to do so via my e-mail or IMs.

TimTex, I can't believe you haven't PMed the mods when you see abuse and violations of the rules on WP! We are only as stong as our membership, and our membership is our eyes and ears to know what sort of membership we have. I am sorry you have been afflicted, but Tim, you have to help us help you get the community you want to have. We can't do it without you telling us when and where.
:(
Merle

later edit: I am so sorry you are leaving, TimTex. It is a good thing for your studies, for your social life at school, too. What ever reason is necessary for you to get on with your life, I truly understand. Remember, if you ever get up to the Pacific Northwest, look me up, I am PMing you my email address :)

friends?

Merle

Last edited by sinsboldly on 14 Aug 2009, 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pobodys_Nerfect
Veteran
Veteran

14 Aug 2009, 4:39 am

How are your studies going?

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

14 Aug 2009, 6:57 pm

I wish you are not leaving us Tim. I remember you were the first to welcome me here two and half years ago.
As for abusive members I always brought them to admins attention whenever I saw something that wasn't right.
But where ever you go Good Luck and take care..

wsmac
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 2:56 am

Tim...
I don't post here much anymore, but I do visit.
Like many others here, I am a bit sad to hear you are leaving.
Then again... my sadness is only because of the reasons you state... I hate to see this place take a down-turn, but hopefully what you have seen is cyclic and will go away in short order.

I am glad to hear you have the resolve to move on to other things in your life when this place, or any other venture, does not feel right for you.
I hope you drop in from time-to-time, if only to peruse the posts as I do.

Take good care and may you fare well!

Mark

syzygyish
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 7:16 am

:(

[Edit : 2 hours of failure to say anything positive and 99% of the post deleted]

MathGirl
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 11:57 am

No way... you're one of the oldest members with the most posts on the forum, and you're leaving?

Of course people will disagree with others who go against their beliefs, but everyone has the right to express their own opinions and you shouldn't let that be a deterrent. It's not WP's fault, and I'm sure there are people here who agree with ya.

Well, if you've decided to leave forever... take care, and good luck :)

Likely ADHD instead of what I've been diagnosed with before.

JetLag
Veteran
Veteran

15 Aug 2009, 2:41 pm

Here's wishing you all the best, Tim, with all the things you may choose to do, perhaps even choosing to reconsider leaving WP. Hoping.

activebutodd
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2009, 10:37 am

I remember you greeted me. Good luck for the future, whether this is permanent or a holiday.