Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2006, 9:49 pm

hi i always resisted the dx for different reasons. how about you

hyperion
Veteran
Veteran

08 Apr 2006, 10:00 pm

noone ever made me feel comfortable about. it like was your a ret*d(and noone ever dissuaded me from the notion) your going to allow us to do anything and everything to you, irregardless of what you want and your going to forever accept a lesser posistion. i was worried about privacy(didnt want something like that coming back later to haunt me)

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2006, 1:24 am

I sought out a diagnosis when it was suggested as a possibility.

It was a relief, finally, to have something that made sense, after many, many, years of "unexplained" not fitting in, and years of treatment for depression which was remarkably ineffective. Pills and talk therapy, various sorts of both.

With a diagnosis that fits (A diagnosis of AS that was wrong would be as bad for any individual as any other) the world is something less of a fragmented jigsaw, though it is still strange.

hyperion
Veteran
Veteran

09 Apr 2006, 1:45 am

i was worried about having a file that could come back up later in life(with jobs employement education

jonathan79
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2006, 1:19 am

I personally have resisted the dx because it will cost me money. Also, I don't believe that it would change anything. If perhaps I was not diagnosed with AS, I still cannot see myself ever having normal friendships with a lot of people, or suddenly becoming social, or any great change in my personality, because those things just do not appeal to me. Friendships and social situations are torturous and full of obligations which bring me no joy when I fulfill my side of being a 'friend' or 'conversationalist'. I prefer having only one or two friends (people who I grew up with), even if they do live back in my hometown and I only ever see them once or twice a year.

If I was diagnosed, it would not change anything either as I am doing all that I can to improve what little life I have at the moment, so having a dx would not make me 'try harder', or bring me relief because I have already accepted who I am, not that it doesn't depress me terribly, but I have accepted myself more or less. But, thats just me....

hyperion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2006, 10:21 am

it also meant that everyone could do anything they wanted to me

Callista
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2006, 7:27 pm

I don't understand, Hyperion. Why would Asperger's give anyone power over you? Certainly, as a child, they could put you in special education or insist you see (for example) an occupational therapist; but as an adult, of sound mind, there really isn't anything they can force you to do. Unless you become a danger to yourself or another person (which is not going to happen with Asperger's, unless you lose self-care skills to the point that you are in physical danger; or if there is a comorbid condition which complicates matters and endangers you), they cannot force you to do a thing.

Last I checked, people still had the freedom to make their own decisions--whether or not they had Asperger's.

Autism Memorial:
http://autism-memorial.livejournal.com

hyperion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2006, 8:25 pm

what you said is the way its supposed to be.
however their are lots of people in positions of power who think other wise

they can find a way

didnt say it gave them the right, it just happened that way, meant in my my house the being the same thing as ret*d, and no one dissuaded me from the notion. i constantly had it thrown in my face and failure became impossible. (maybe this should stay in the haven) and every guy they brought me to weirded the heck of me. what offeneded me was that my parents were gonna have a psycologist do what they should have been doing and i will leave it at that.

Last edited by hyperion on 10 Apr 2006, 9:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

10 Apr 2006, 8:43 pm

Yeah hyperion, I had doctors pretty much telling me at 11 to give up hope, that I'd be a really big loser for the rest of my life (actually getting quite a kick out of saying it), and that there was nothing they could do - I might as well just give up. Needless to say it took over 13 years and actually approaching the community at 22 with a bit of a chip on my shoulder before I lightened up a bit on my view of AS.