New to parenting an AS teen, needing crash course.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

MorgansAunt
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Feb 2011, 10:17 pm

Hi,

I'll save my questions for other subfora and threads, just going to introduce myself here.

My name is Kate. My best friend of many years and I raised our kids together for several years, and remained close and involved in all the kids' lives even after we moved apart. I was present for, and a major party in her son's Aspergers diagnosis (I was the parent most able to do the weekday stuff).

Last week, bff killed herself. My husband and I have the kids, and will be raising them from here on out. They are, for now, in dependency care, which (afaik) means that they are in the care of dcfs, but placed with me.

Morgan, 16, has Asperger's, with additional diagnoses of ADHD and PDD-NOS. Laurel is 12, and is neurotypical.

I'll be asking questions, probably, in the next days and weeks, about grieving in Aspergers kids, as well as what types of counseling/therapy has worked for others. And I'll also be asking questions about navigating schools and other agencies and systems.

Please forgive me if I use the wrong words. I am bumbling my way through here, as I haven't done the daily parenting for him for several years, and I'm ashamed to say I haven't kept up on the world of the Autism spectrum. I worry that I'll accidentally use some term or phrase used only by curebies, and be shunned, so please be easy on me!

sevig
Butterfly
Butterfly

26 Feb 2011, 10:38 pm

i lost my grandparents itll take time let them hav there spac us aspie we take longer to grieve and theyll be moody

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

27 Feb 2011, 8:25 am

To WrongPlanet!! !Image

Brainfre3ze_93
Veteran
Veteran

28 Feb 2011, 8:26 am

Welcome!

drown_my_sense_is
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

04 Mar 2011, 6:54 am

Welcome! Wrongplanet is a great place to learn a lot about autism spectrum/aspergers :)