Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

samuraiBSD
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

10 Mar 2011, 12:15 am

Hi. I don't exactly know what to say in this type of post, so I'm just going to type until something shows up on screen that makes sense.

I'm 19, I'm a college student (Sociology major, Comp Sci minor) and I think, based on suggestions from online acquaintances and the few people on campus I have gotten to know, that I have AS. After reading a bit about it, I realized that the symptoms almost read like a biography. My roommate has mentioned that I take everything literally, I have odd mannerisms, I never look him in the eye (usually not even in the face, actually) and a whole slew of other things. I've noticed myself that I have a lot of trouble picking up on or interpreting inflection in people's voices, figures of speech or facial expressions. I've been told I'm overly logical, often blunt or harsh, and quiet until someone gets me talking about one of my fascinations. My plan is to go to mental health services on campus, where I have a convenient health plan, and talk to the staff there. I'll do that after my break is over.

I guess that's enough of an introduction for now. I'll just take to occasionally posting in threads now. Thanks for listening.

PM
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 12:26 am

Welcome to WP, I would say get a Diagnosis ASAP so you can get help with any problems you might have.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 2:48 am

samuraiBSD wrote:
Hi. I don't exactly know what to say in this type of post, so I'm just going to type until something shows up on screen that makes sense.

I'm 19, I'm a college student (Sociology major, Comp Sci minor) and I think, based on suggestions from online acquaintances and the few people on campus I have gotten to know, that I have AS. After reading a bit about it, I realized that the symptoms almost read like a biography. My roommate has mentioned that I take everything literally, I have odd mannerisms, I never look him in the eye (usually not even in the face, actually) and a whole slew of other things. I've noticed myself that I have a lot of trouble picking up on or interpreting inflection in people's voices, figures of speech or facial expressions. I've been told I'm overly logical, often blunt or harsh, and quiet until someone gets me talking about one of my fascinations. My plan is to go to mental health services on campus, where I have a convenient health plan, and talk to the staff there. I'll do that after my break is over.

I guess that's enough of an introduction for now. I'll just take to occasionally posting in threads now. Thanks for listening.

Hi, does the BSD stand for Berkely Standard Distribution? If it doesn't no doubt your going WTF (which of course stands for What the f**k :lol: )

jamesongerbil
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 3:15 am

Welcome!

samuraiBSD

10 Mar 2011, 3:56 am

nostromo wrote:
]
Hi, does the BSD stand for Berkely Standard Distribution? If it doesn't no doubt your going WTF (which of course stands for What the f**k :lol: )

Yes, actually, it does. I once had it in my head to make a unique package based on FreeBSD to suit my own needs in terms of applications, but eventually I abandoned the project and made a little Ubuntu-based package that contains applications and settings that I need instead. It was more efficient to do it that way, since Ubuntu is more equipped to handle such pursuits, and it overall required less effort. An added benefit is that I also now have a LiveCD with this on it, and can also fit it onto a flash drive, which I found considerable difficulty doing in FreeBSD.

nostromo
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 4:35 am

I used to muck around with OpenBSD when I was doing security related work. At that time I thought it had a better packet filtering and NATing type of arrangement than Linux, and of course a general focus on security.

Anyway welcome to WP, its a good place. :D

peterd
Veteran
Veteran

10 Mar 2011, 5:53 am

The worst thing about an adult aspergers diagnosis is how little good it does. Never mind. Better to know than not.

Welcome.

samuraiBSD

10 Mar 2011, 12:13 pm

peterd wrote:
The worst thing about an adult aspergers diagnosis is how little good it does. Never mind. Better to know than not.

Welcome.

Yes. My mother just told me I was odd and I should act normal by copying the kids at school, so I grew up with people thinking I was just annoying, and they told me so. A diagnosis now would be mainly personal. I wouldn't want to be treated differently academically or in the workplace anyway.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2011, 11:44 am

Welkome to WrongPlanet. :)

The WP Kink

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

15 Mar 2011, 12:34 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

richie