Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Lara
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Aug 2006, 8:42 am

Hello,
My oldest son, now 14, was diagnosed 2 years ago by the school psychologist. Since then, he was placed in an IEP(Indep Ed Program) and has done much better in school. He knows he has Asperger's, but when I told him about this site, said he wasn't interested. I just wish he wanted to learn more too. He told me he had friends and doesn't need to know more. So I would just like some feedback. I live in Tucson AZ, and haven't found much support here. He's a great kid and tends to lean more to the mild version of Asperger's. I can tell the older he gets that he seems to be handling things much better than when he was smaller. It was so nice to finally understand what was different about my son....for years it was the typical labeling of ADD. Once I read up on Aspergers, I was amazed at seeing all the characteristics he has....the light finally came on for us. So any responses will be greatly appreciated by any other parent or from an "Aspie" themselves.

Captain_Brown
Veteran
Veteran

19 Aug 2006, 8:48 am

If he is not interested, he doesn't have to join. An excellent website for any kind of Autism including AS-HFA is, http://www.autism-society.org/. You might want to check it out.

devonmike
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

19 Aug 2006, 4:53 pm

Your son is at an age where it is very important to him to fit in with his peer group. The worst nightmare for him would most probably be to be picked out as different, so he is putting his AS on the back burner.

I am sure as he grows older he will want to understand more, but please be patient and let him do that particular journey at his own pace - you can't rush an Aspie!! It may take quite a time maybe into his 20's.

One thing you might try through Wrong Planet though is to get him in touch with Aspies of his own age - particulary females - that would be so cool and definitely would have street cred for him with his friends.