Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

Weather-Girl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jun 2011, 4:18 pm

Hi everyone,

I am a 21 year old female student from London/Oxford and I was recently diagnosed with Asperger's. I'll admit I felt kind of down to receive the news that I was not (technically) normal, however it was also a relief as the more I read about it, the more it feels like filling in pieces of a puzzle.

I was a bit of an odd child, never had many friends, had a strange obsession with wearing hats and was constantly in my room arranging my moomin figures in specific ways instead of playing with other kids outside. I learnt to read very fast, yet had difficulty writing and talking. Teachers either didn't like me or overlooked me, and other children never really took to me. Nowadays I still have difficulty socializing in big groups and loud places, yet I love nothing more than meeting up with one of my few close friends and going to a gig. I'm a huge fan of music and film, and love exercise and trekking. I find the experience of reaching a mountain peak overwhelming and it had helped me overcome a lot of my anxieties.

I'm still a very awkward person, I have a very strange sense of humour, and often pick up a new obscure interest every week which I like to research at great length! I get down at the fact I am awkward but and slowly but surely learning to like it!

I've realised I've probably bored you lot with my life story but feel free to reply and talk at me! I'm not so awkward when talking on a keyboard! :)

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 4:35 pm

Weather-Girl wrote:
Hi everyone,

I am a 21 year old female student from London/Oxford and I was recently diagnosed with Asperger's. I'll admit I felt kind of down to receive the news that I was not (technically) normal, however it was also a relief as the more I read about it, the more it feels like filling in pieces of a puzzle.

I was a bit of an odd child, never had many friends, had a strange obsession with wearing hats and was constantly in my room arranging my moomin figures in specific ways instead of playing with other kids outside. I learnt to read very fast, yet had difficulty writing and talking. Teachers either didn't like me or overlooked me, and other children never really took to me. Nowadays I still have difficulty socializing in big groups and loud places, yet I love nothing more than meeting up with one of my few close friends and going to a gig. I'm a huge fan of music and film, and love exercise and trekking. I find the experience of reaching a mountain peak overwhelming and it had helped me overcome a lot of my anxieties.

I'm still a very awkward person, I have a very strange sense of humour, and often pick up a new obscure interest every week which I like to research at great length! I get down at the fact I am awkward but and slowly but surely learning to like it!

I've realised I've probably bored you lot with my life story but feel free to reply and talk at me! I'm not so awkward when talking on a keyboard! :)

Hello, welcome to wrongplanet. We're quite a friendly bunch, and I'm sure you'll meet alot of new friends around here. Your story sounds kind of similar to mine; I was an odd child (now I'm an odd teenager, lol) who had an obsession with noises and sounds. Since then my interests have developed into a hobby (I play keyboards, synthesizers and compose electronic music)
I can't stand crowds and I rarely leave the house unless I need to, I've always been very introverted and "in my own mind"
I am bookish, I love to read. Sci fi and fantasy are my favourite genres, along with paranormal/horror books. I've climbed a couple of mountains before, its an amazing feeling sitting at the top and just looking down onto everything below! :) Which mountains have the climbed?

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet

Do not doubt yourself, your post was not too long :)
You don't know the meaning of an awkward person until you've met me ;)
Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

Peko
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 5:15 pm

Welcome to WP!
We is a :colors: bunch

KyleTheGhost
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 5:18 pm

Welcome!

Ookla
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

19 Jun 2011, 5:39 pm

Weather-Girl wrote:
Hi everyone,

I'll admit I felt kind of down to receive the news that I was not (technically) normal, however it was also a relief as the more I read about it, the more it feels like filling in pieces of a puzzle.

Not boring at all. Your story is very familiar. :wink: Welcome!

Weather-Girl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jun 2011, 5:48 pm

Thank you to every one! Its nice to know there are other awkward people out there! I've been so used to it for a while I now see awkwardness as a desirable quality in a new friend!

sixis
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

19 Jun 2011, 5:50 pm

Welcome!

Around here, strange is normal.

And expected.

And accepted.

Weather-Girl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

19 Jun 2011, 5:52 pm

Hello, welcome to wrongplanet. We're quite a friendly bunch, and I'm sure you'll meet alot of new friends around here. Your story sounds kind of similar to mine; I was an odd child (now I'm an odd teenager, lol) who had an obsession with noises and sounds. Since then my interests have developed into a hobby (I play keyboards, synthesizers and compose electronic music)
I can't stand crowds and I rarely leave the house unless I need to, I've always been very introverted and "in my own mind"
I am bookish, I love to read. Sci fi and fantasy are my favourite genres, along with paranormal/horror books. I've climbed a couple of mountains before, its an amazing feeling sitting at the top and just looking down onto everything below! :) Which mountains have the climbed?[/quote]

I've climbed Kili...I'm about to embark on the Inca Trail in September for a charity trek, I'm looking forward to being in the middle of nowhere surrounded by amazing scenery! Ooh I play keyboards too, along with harp and the uke! I'm a complete music geek, if someone asks me what sort of music I like I hate it because it means an inevitable ramble about obscure bands!

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 6:45 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

19 Jun 2011, 9:32 pm

Hi Weather-Girl,
Hope you don't mind but I'm gonna sort of piggy back off your introduction to introduce myself as well as welcome you... even though I'm so new to the site :P. I haven't been tested for AS yet but the more I look into it and hear the stories of people with it I think I will get around to it this year sometime. I too spent alot of time playing alone as a kid building castles with leggo or generally spending hours focusing on something I enjoyed alone. I have to admit it does kind of irk me that my parents saw that something was going on with me but did nothing about it. Dad would say, "I'm worried about you boy," and Mum would tell me I had selective hearing because I wasn't good at following verbal instructions and sometimes I wouldn't respond to my name. Despite the fact that I was quite good at drawing, reading and spelling they just assumed that this meant in other areas I was just being lazy or "not applying myself."
I have one really weird anecdote that I just wanna see if anyone can relate to. No matter how many times people showed me how to do it I never got the knack of tying my shoe laces. I made up my own way of doing it to look like a bow so people wouldn't know I never learned how. It wasn't until waaaay too late (After 20) I gave it a go again and finally got it :( It's in the context of crazy antics like this that I really hopie I'm an Aspie, lol.
My interests include collecting and reading the comic book Deadpool since 1997, learning about samurai, ninja and Japanese history, learning foreign languages (German recently), playing guitar and harmonica and reading, writing and drawing.

Weather-Girl
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

20 Jun 2011, 6:20 am

Ha! Yep, tying shoelaces was a bother for me, at about the age of 10 my dad sat me down and wouldn't let me do anything till I learnt how to tie them. I still temporarily forget now! I'm like that with bike riding, and my grammar and handwriting are still appalling! Good times!

Dan_Undiagnosed
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 9:12 am

Wow, it's good to find some common ground already :)
Do you listen to Alessi's Ark? Sorry for the obvious Brit reference but I have a crush on Alessi and she makes good music too. I like the laid back folky, singer songwriter stuff.

ScientistOfSound
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 11:02 am

Weather-Girl wrote:
I've climbed Kili...I'm about to embark on the Inca Trail in September for a charity trek, I'm looking forward to being in the middle of nowhere surrounded by amazing scenery! Ooh I play keyboards too, along with harp and the uke! I'm a complete music geek, if someone asks me what sort of music I like I hate it because it means an inevitable ramble about obscure bands!

Wow, really?! I've climbed Nevis, Snowdon and Sca Fell but I've never really climbed any mountains outside the UK. I want to visit the alps one day however :)

I'm into all sorts of obscure bands also ^^

TheBicyclingGuitarist
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2011, 11:29 am

I couldn't tie my shoes until I was about twelve years old, and I'm still not very good at it (I'm fifty years old now). I used to hike every summer and fall in the Sierra Nevada mountains of California. Never went for the mountain climbing bit, but I did spend a week at a time above timberline many times. I am also a musician. Check my web site if interested in my original tunes.

Welcome to WrongPlanet. Many here have had similar experiences to your story. Take care, have fun.

InfoMonkey
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Jun 2011, 11:59 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Don't worry, I still tie my shoes in bunny-ears.