Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

PaoloTrep
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

05 Jul 2011, 1:06 pm

I'm a twenty-eight year old British male and I am currently in the process of getting a formal diagnosis for what I have suspected for some time to be Asperger's.

That's how I wish I could leave this post. Clinical and formal; the way I have always tried to present myself to the world.

Fact is: I am pretty damn messed up. No this isn't a launch into a self-depreciating rant or some attempt at netting sympathy. In Britain; Asperger's is still relatively new and goes largely undiagnosed or we get lumped in with the ADHD crowd and get given drugs to help us focus. I have had a really crap time all things considered. School was hard because I was always left feeling like the odd one out by the other children and this happened all the way until I left college. Teachers could not figure out why I was how I was and found it easier to just brand me another underachiever. My creative streak was apparent from a very young age and I had ideas that were far beyond someone my age, but they were ignored in favor of academic progress (or lack thereof).

I have always been happier away from people except in a rare few instances (my long-suffering girlfriend). I struggle like mad in social situations, with my taking everything literally and monotonic voice that means I'm about as good at conveying humor as an undertaker. But I still try, much to the pain of my friends.

I hope that my upcoming diagnosis will lift the veil from the world for me; I'm getting pretty annoyed with my chronic OCD and the fact that I only seem to end up in jobs that that involve retail which involves dealing with far too many people for my liking.

Guess I'm saying Hi!

Hi!

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 1:44 pm

Welcome to WrongPlanet, PaoloTrep!

Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

OddFinn
Veteran
Veteran

05 Jul 2011, 2:25 pm