Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

aspiematt
Butterfly
Butterfly

29 Oct 2006, 1:47 am

Hi. My name is Matt. I'm a 27 year old father of two. I have AS.

I'm here with the hopes of gaining insight from fellow AS'ers or maybe their related NTs. My wife is having a difficult time dealing with me and I am hoping to learn some coping skills and maybe relate to a few of you here.

From a young age I was always stand off-ish. I grade school I would play by myself and wander outside of the playground, while everyone else laughed and played. I didn't get fashion or pop culture. I wasn't up on the cool things. I had obsessions and they weren't anything that my peers understood. I did poorly in school, not from lack of intelligence, but from lack of attention. I would spend all of my time daydreaming or drawing.

As an adolescant I became increasingly angry and violent. My inability to relate to anyone else or even make eye contact or understand social morays and signs gave me a lack of friends, and any friends that did come around were soon driven away by my frequent outbursts and insecurities. Depression and rage ensued.

As an adult, I have been married for eight years and I have two toddlers. We are convinced that my son has AS as well, but have yet to get the official DX. My wife has a lot of trouble dealing with me. She describes our time together that she has "endured" me. I have a hard time dealing with myself and have only recently understood the AS. I don't show her enough that I love her..I don't consider her feelings in the way she thinks I should, so we have a lot of issues. I've already driven away two people that I loved in my life..I don't want to do it to a third.

So here I am. Hopeful that my time here will help me and maybe I can help someone else with my words and experiences.

Starbuline
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 2:49 am

Welcome to WP.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 4:34 am

Hello aspiematt, and welcome to WP.

Hope you enjoy it here.

fresco
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 6:40 am

Welcome to the forum!

One-Winged-Angel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 9:37 am

Welcome to WP, aspiematt.

I hope you like posting here, and don't forget to join the Church of Garlic. If you want the pain to go away, and to be a part of something greater than yourself, bite into a raw clove of Garlic tonight. And for a donation of just $19.95, we'll send you a leather bound copy of the Holy Book of Garlic.

Please make checks payable to "TheMachine1 and One-Winged-Angel Defense Funds". These funds will greatly help with the fake charity charges the Church of Garlic now faces. Thanks for the support.

The Church of Garlic is also a sanctuary for 1337 speakers.

If you would like to join the sect of Rubber Ducks, Pie, Vegetarianism, Chocolate, Blood, or Boston Red Sox tell me that you wish to join a sect.

Garlic Bless America

sue72
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Oct 2006, 10:07 am

Hi Matt. A lot of the things you say sound familiar, as I also experienced (and continue to experience) similar things. Something I have realized recently is that many of my closest friends have been only children (people with no siblings, or sometimes people whose siblings were very far apart from them in age), because those people seem to be the ones to best understand my need for excessive time alone. I'm sorry your wife is having trouble understanding. I am going through my second divorce right now, though the first was more due to my bipolar mania. I am new here too, but it looks like a good place.

hyper_alien
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2006, 2:27 pm

Hi and welcome to WP