Hi, I'm new. Not sure if I have Aspergers.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

Weirto
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Jul 2012, 1:19 pm

I have been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, and over the past year I have improved a lot. But I still find it hard to communicate with people and make friends. I see other people talk and become friends in a matter of minutes, and I don't know how they do it. All I can do is ask generic questions and hope the other person does most of the talking, because I have no idea what to say next. When someone starts asking me questions about my self, my thoughts get jumbled up and I can't put then into a coherent sentence, I just end up confusing the other person. I'm starting to suspect that i might have aspergers. I took several online tests and they all say that I don't have it, but I feel like I do. Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to find out for sure whether or not I have aspergers?

SilkySifaka
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 1:29 pm

Hi Weirto, Welcome to Wrong Planet!

My sister has Social Anxiety Disorder, it's a horrible thing to have.

You could start off by taking some of the Aspergers tests on Wrong Planet and see how you do (they are stickied at the top of the General Autism Discussion board.) These are just screening tests and so are not a diagnosis. Spend a bit of time reading the posts here and see if it feels familiar, and perhaps read a book or other online information on AS. If after that you suspect that Aspergers is the correct diagnosis for you then you would need to approach a doctor or therapist if you have one and they will arrange for you to see someone who can diagnose you.

It is quite possible that your difficulties with social interaction stem from your SAD. Aspergers is characterised by difficulties in social interaction, but there are other aspects too which need to be taken into account - things such as stimming, repetitive routines, narrow interests etc.

Blownmind
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 1:35 pm

Hi, and welcome!

Weirto wrote:
I have been diagnosed with social anxiety disorder, and over the past year I have improved a lot.
(...)
Can anyone give me any suggestions on how to find out for sure whether or not I have aspergers?

I am very curious to hear how you managed to improve your SAD?

Most here will recommend seeing a professional, however, there are some quick and dirty online tests you can take for a less accurate result.
  • MacLean Screening Instrument for BPD
  • HAD-scale
  • Yale-Brown Obsessive-Compulsive Scale
  • Autism Spectrum Quotient
  • Empathy Quotient
  • Ritvo Autism Asperger Diagnostic Scale-Revised (RAADS-R)
  • Autism Spectrum Screening Questionnaire (ASSQ)
  • OAQ-G2
  • Aspie-quiz(AQ)

I don't remember the cut-off scores that indicate Aspergers, but if you search google.com for those tests and "Aspergers", you should find some relevant info. :) Good luck

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 3:15 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

Teredia
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 5:07 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.
One of my Best friends has Social Anxiety Disorder.
I befriended her through my trust aspie friend Jacob (those who know me, will be rolling their eyes).
I befriended her n in process she found 2 more friends ^-^ i love her like a sister.

Word of advice from an aspie who also gets her thoughts from head to mouth jumbled. Plan, think, plan, speak. You may be a lill slower, but if you give the person you're talking to a heads up it will be fine =) dont try big complicated sentences, speak a lill take a breath. I find it helps.

questor
Veteran
Veteran

08 Jul 2012, 6:14 pm

Hi Weirto! Welcome to Wrong Planet! Check out the many interesting and helpful forums here. You are among friends here at WP! :D

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

10 Jul 2012, 4:41 pm

Welkome to WP

MickImage