HI, a Little about me. an "old" Aspie.

Page 1 of 1 [ 13 posts ] 

Should Aspie's Lead the World, or just Improve ot?
Poll ended at 27 Feb 2007, 11:06 pm
Yes 75%  75%  [ 3 ]
No 25%  25%  [ 1 ]
Total votes : 4

JohnW
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

29 Nov 2006, 11:06 pm

Hi, I'm John Wiley, new to the group, 49.
I was diagnosed and treated as bipolar for a long time.
A recent re-assessment showed that I'm really high-functioning
Asperger's “with Deep depression ans anxiety”. Asperger's Syndrome
explains much about my life.

My restricted area of interest was pipe organs from a young age. Organ music was
important because it related to pipe organs. I was stuck with other things like school,
simple jobs, but nothing mattered but pipe organs. I was apprenticed in building
pipe organs. When that fell through, at my next two jobs, one classified but having to do with “quality control” and the other in the electronics industry itself the people that I worked with
heard about how everything related to pipe organs for years.

Eventually, after years and with much effort, I completed a four year college degree
in business. My project was a feasibility study of hybrid automobiles. People heard
all about that for years.

Computers started to be an obsession are the current
interest that I have, although now that I am treated, it is not an obsession.

Then I moved back close to family. I soon fell into major depression because of
constant spine pain. I was treated for the depression, then re-diagnosed as bipolar
disorder. I even became president of the local chapter of the Depression and Support Alliance for years, an all volunteer, unpaid job. That helped me to be more social. With a re-assessment recently,at my insistence, correctly diagnosed with Asperger's Disorder, well, with deep depression and anxiety.

I have had a complex clerical/mail room job for 12.5 years now with great retirement benefits and medical coverage.

:D I usually walk with my head down, by habit, so I do not make eye contact. When I do
talk to someone I rarely make eye contact. Clothing for me must be soft. I have really sensitive hearing. I do not make friends easily as I often say the socially wrong things.
I am very absent minded and even forget where I am going at work sometimes.
I am a real "homebody" and isolate by nature.

8O I communicate much better in writing than in person since I can
go back and edit, spell check, re-word, take what I said back, etc.
Often I write my emails in a word processor and just copy and paste them
into the email. It's easier.

I grew up in a small town in the USA in the 60's and 70's, so I was never diagnosed
with anything, but often teased and bullied. I was often teased and bullied about being
“antisocial” and “ret*d”all through high school. Now I know why.

en_una_isla
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2006, 11:10 pm

Hi John, welcome to WP. I also have had obsessions with organ music and liturgical music in general.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2006, 11:11 pm

I also have a restricted area of interest. You'll find out more about it, as you read through the forums.

Many warm welcomes. :D

polyrhythmia
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

30 Nov 2006, 12:04 am

Glad to hear you have been in the same job for more than 10 years, especially a good one. Right now, I am working a temporary job. I don't have a single strong interest, but have been interested in polyrhythms since 1990. No money has been made off this interest. I have other narrow interests. I, too, grew up in the 60's and 70's, but fell into the mental health system in elementary school. Back then, kids like me were called "emotionally disturbed", and when the talk therapy with psychologists was not working, I was sent to a residential treatment center. The main benefit of being there was that I got in the habit of keeping clean, and paying a little attention to my appearance. I also learned to hold conversations, at least a little.

But the price was that I lost my self-esteem, what little I had, and I never ever felt confident that I was a worthy human being. It's great to know that I am not the oldest person on this site. I had felt out of place here as most here are under age 30 and had grown up with a diagnosis of AS/autism. Back when I was that age, you had to be nonverbal or mentally ret*d or out of control to have autism, and so we invented other explanations for why we were "different". I had never had an intimate relationship in my life, and now that I know why, I basically gave up on that notion, realizing that I probably would not enjoy the stress of having to deal with others in my life. Dave (Isn't your screen name the same as a textbook publisher?)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2006, 1:20 am

Welcome to WP!

Tim

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Fuzzy
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2006, 4:15 am

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also have a restricted area of interest.

You DO NOT! The rest of the world has an overly broad area of interest!

Welcome John Wiley!

larsenjw92286
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2006, 3:09 pm

Hi, John!

Welcome to Wrongplanet!

Are you really an old Aspie?

I voted in your poll, and I voted "no" because even though people with AS are great people, NT's should have authority because they came around before people with AS.

I hope you enjoy posting here!

Prof_Pretorius
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2006, 4:40 pm

Welcome, Elder ASpie, welcome ! !! (I'm 50, so I can say that.)
Cool interest, pipe organs ! ! The church I attend just purchased an older Church building with (wait for it) A PIPE ORGAN ! !! The other morning I heard Handel's Halleujeah Chorus played on pipe organ, with a few violins and trumpets. I got tears in my eyes imagining that being played in our Church ! !!

You'll fit in here, so be sure to browse the forums. Most are deadly serious, espicially Dating, but Random is where all us jokers hang out, so check that too!! !

janicka
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2006, 4:46 pm

CockneyRebel wrote:
I also have a restricted area of interest. You'll find out more about it, as you read through the forums.

Many warm welcomes. :D

Or he can just find out about it by looking at your avatar ;-)

snapdragon
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

02 Dec 2006, 6:34 pm

(I was thinking that about cockney's avatar too) Welcome to our world!

Flagg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2006, 8:36 pm

Welcome to The Crimson King's newest colony. Wrong Planet is under the complete control of the Great Eye and The almighty Flagg.

Starr
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2006, 4:05 am

Hi JohnW, and welcome, glad you found us.

I'm an 'oldie' too, 49, (but not mature :lol: )

Hope you enjoy posting here. :D

Voxsolemnis
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

05 Dec 2006, 10:27 pm

Welcome onboard WrongPlanet! I find it absolutely awesome that there are so many musically talented folks at WP... my response to you regarding your experience with and appreciation for Pipe Organs (The King of Instruments) is....

Great! Positive! Swell!

:) :D

The organ is a truly joyous instrument to behold....

I myself have much an appreciation for many organ composers, including JS Bach, Sweelinck, Frescobaldi, Widor, Dupre, Durufle, and Jehan Ariste Alain.