How did you come up with your username?

Page 1 of 19 [ 302 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 19  Next

06xrs
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Jan 2006, 7:09 am

A lot of folks have some really interesting usernames so I was just wondering how you decided on them/what it says about you and your interests.
Mine is from my car, '06 Toyota Matrix XRS. Cars are my main obsession, its how I remember people. When I see someone the first thing that comes to mind is what they drive, then their name.

omega
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

07 Jan 2006, 7:16 am

omega comes form (electrical) resistance

(I know it has different meanings as well, I especiallay like that is also means "the end" but that is not why I got the idea of using it in the first place)

Last edited by omega on 07 Jan 2006, 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 7:19 am

its impossible to say 'psych' in an angry voice.

i sound like your favourite cuddly toy.

grayson
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

07 Jan 2006, 7:28 am

I don't think I really need to answer this one, just like the "what does your avatar represent?" thread :-)

DrizzleMan
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 7:53 am

Extremely diluted version of Rainman. Hope it isn't too misleading :?

hecate
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 8:27 am

psych wrote:
its impossible to say 'psych' in an angry voice.

actually, i thought that pj & duncan sounded quite aggressive when they sang, "watch us wreck the mic, watch us wreck the mic..............psych!" :lol:

oh, and my user-name is the greek goddess of death and witchcraft. :skull:

TheGreyBadger
Toucan
Toucan

07 Jan 2006, 9:01 am

Mine is my magickal use-name. My friends say it fits.

psych
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 9:34 am

hecate wrote:
actually, i thought that pj & duncan sounded quite aggressive when they sang, "watch us wreck the mic, watch us wreck the mic..............psych!" :lol:

thwarted - by Ant & Dec! :oops:
well theres no shame in being beaten by the best...

Emettman
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 10:33 am

As in the "what does your avatar represent?" thread:

It's homage to my favourite artist, Mr Rowland Emett.
When I first signed on *elsewhere* there were far to many "Chris" 's so I had to pick something that as individual. There aren't that many Emett fans, just a select few.
I don't use too many passwords either, but I comment no further on that.

http://www.picturetrail.com/emettplus

Mockingbird
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 10:44 am

I got mine from "To Kill A Mockingbird" first, for a throwaway username, but it really fits me. On sites where "Mockingbird" is taken I use "Derringforth", which is a book I really like that is highly obscure and out of print since 1904

Namiko
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 11:06 am

Namiko comes from Japanese meaning "little wave". It was the Japanese nickname that one of my friends gave me awhile back. The second part of my username (which I rarely ever use ironically) is Iolana, which is Hawaiian for something like to soar like an eagle.

Other usernames I've used at other places: phil467 (which comes directly from a Bible verse~ Phillipians 4:6-7), TotallyChlorinated (due to the fact that I swim and that I tend to spill HCl on me during chem labs) and Ashiaro (who is my RPG character).

Serissa
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 11:21 am

Serissa is actually a name related to my name in an obscure way which I will not explain. But it really is related, and very intricately!

Tere
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 11:27 am

It's my real name. :D

parts
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 11:55 am

Parts I got them for most everything that is among my intersests. People always ask if I have this or that first a lot of the time I do. I love estate sales esp ones cram packed my wife hates it I ussally have several back up parts or the stuff to make them. I have over 1500 lose radio tubes that arent in any of my old radios racks of stuff including an install kit in the box for a wireless type 19 radio for a medium tank from ww2. I cant stop if it interest me or can use it I get it,if its the right price or free.

Sophist
Veteran
Veteran

07 Jan 2006, 11:55 am

Mine I took from Edgar Allan Poe's short story, The Assignation.

"There are surely other worlds than this-- other thoughts than the thoughts of the multitude-- other speculations than the speculations of the sophist. Who then shall call thy conduct into question? who blame thee for thy visionary hours, or denounce those occupations as the wasting away of life, which were but the overflowings of thine everlasting energies?"

The word "sophist" isn't held in very high regard in this quote, but I loved it all the same. I use it to mean "thinker" from it's root meaning knowledge, thought, or wisdom. But it also means, at least around Poe's time, someone who uses false arguments convincingly. And I suppose that's also accurate for me at times as well. Or at least the false arguments part. I don't know about convincingly. Nor purposefully.

My partner's autism science blog, Cortical Chauvinism - http://corticalchauvinism.wordpress.com/

jennyfreckles
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

07 Jan 2006, 12:30 pm

its a nickname my mum gave me when i was a child. i never get called it these days but still have freckes :lol: