Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

Verbena
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

25 Nov 2012, 1:49 pm

Hi, my 8 year old son has been recently diagnosed with AS. In his assessment the Consultant, after speaking to me (when my boy wasn't there) about my history, basically said I had it too and should maybe think about pursuing an official diagnosis. I'm not sure if I'm going to do that just yet. I thought maybe I'd just hang out here for a while, if that's okay

It wasn't a great shock I have to say, having felt like I was on the 'wrong planet' from as early as I can remember. This news seemed more like the final piece to the puzzle I have been trying to solve all my life.

People who know me casually would never guess. I would say I 'pass' as normal pretty well. My childhood and adolescence was pretty chaotic though, so for my long-standing friends this also didn't really surprise them. I've been on fluoxetine for a while for depression and I have to say this has really helped me reach out socially and become the me I wanted to be.

Amongst a couple of other things I am an actor. I got into acting because I liked inhabiting normal - or maybe even not so normal - maybe just validated characters, and I was a great mimic. My problem was I had a pretty face so directors didn't really want me to act, they just wanted me to stand still, "be myself" and look pretty - I had a tough time with the "be myself" thing, though thankfully I don't have the same problems now. I'm too old for the young starlet roles now though, so - ironically - things are looking up!

I'm just really glad my son will have the help and support growing up that I didn't have. It was tough. Like I'm sure you all know.

Anyways - hi!

noxnocturne
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 3:46 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 4:46 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet!

helles
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 5:12 pm

Welcome to WP to another female late diagnosis :)

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2012, 11:38 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Verbena
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

26 Nov 2012, 3:08 am

Thanks. I was wondering how you deal with inappropriateness on an as forum. I am always second guessing myself after a social interaction - and I second guessed the above as maybe being a bit overconfident...But of a hard thing to call in an AS forum. (I have a very mischievous sense of humour sorry)

AutisticBelle
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

26 Nov 2012, 4:12 am

Welcome! I hope you find confidence or guidance, or whatever it is you want to find here. And its good your son got diagnosed so early. It always helps!

Asdperson
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

26 Nov 2012, 1:42 pm

Enjoy your stay at Wrong Planet!