Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

HelloInternet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2013, 2:20 pm

Hi forum.

( Sorry I edited out the post but the next day it seemed a lot more personal than I was comfortable with )

Last edited by HelloInternet on 08 Dec 2013, 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sharkbait
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

07 Dec 2013, 2:27 pm

Hello, hellointernet, and welcome!

I hope you find the peace you're looking for.

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 2:45 pm

Hi, I found out I had aspergers a year or two ago, I got diagnosed at the age of about 5 and my Mum just assumed I knew I had it since then.

It didnt affect me at all, it answered many questions about why I do what I do and why I am who I am.

I understand however for some this can be quite distressing for some, I can see why You'd find that some things for You socially and mentally are impossible, but I 3 years ago entered high school as a quiet scared push over little boy and know I'm in year 10 ( 9th grade in the US ) and I'm about to start my first exams soon, I have devolved stronger mental, physical and logical capabilities since Year 7, and now I make sure that no one try's to mess me around and I have a far broader range of social capabilities ( I can speak to strangers in public now! ).

All I'm saying is, if You try things can better for You.

Willard
Veteran
Veteran

07 Dec 2013, 3:38 pm

HelloInternet wrote:
My psychologist said it's all considered Autism now

Uhm, yeah, well, that's probably not the final word. That new version of the Diagnostic Manual is very controversial and likely to be changed yet again:

>>Asperger and Autism: Brain Differences Found<< LINK

You'll find a lot of us here at WP who were diagnosed well into adulthood. I was officially labeled at 49, although I'd had my suspicions for a long time. It can be a little disconcerting at first.

I actually sought out the diagnosis, and was thrilled to get it - it explained so much about my entire life - but even so, it felt like a sort of final word. It was a bit depressing to realize once and for all that all these quirks that made me who I am and that had caused me so much grief over the course of my life were hardwired into my brain and could never be changed - at the same time I knew intellectually that it was silly to get down about that, because I had already come to that conclusion on my own years ago. :roll:

All in all, though, it's been fascinating, coming to understand it all and to realize how completely my autism has been forming and shaping virtually every aspect of my personality since the day I was born. Once you realize that you've been experiencing the entire world through a different set of lenses than everyone else is looking through, all those frustrating conflicts and misunderstandings make perfect sense. 8O

Unfortunately, understanding that doesn't make them go away, but at least when they come up, you know what's happening. :wink:

Last edited by Willard on 07 Dec 2013, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

HelloInternet
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

07 Dec 2013, 3:38 pm

Thanks, I'll be fine, I already feel kind of silly for posting that. I think I've just isolated myself lately and sort of regressed. Funny how it can be easier to type stuff to a bunch of strangers than say things clearly to someone you pay 120 dollars an hour.

Oops posted before I saw your post Willard. A lot of what you said makes sense. She is going to give me an IQ test later in the month so I guess we will have more info then about what exactly is lacking.

CrispyPancake
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

08 Dec 2013, 6:28 am

I struggle a bit with the label as well. I hate that it's called a syndrome, i.e. a disease, when it seems to me like it's a personality type, a variant of normal. I would prefer we were all called 'quiet serious people', which is a descriptive and less perjorative term.

Still, having a term for it does make it easier to seek out fellow quiet serious people, as on this website.

It's only one part of who you are too, don't forget.

TenPencePiece
Veteran
Veteran

08 Dec 2013, 11:03 am

Welcome :)