Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2013, 8:00 am

Hello

I'm new here. I haven't ever been officially diagnosed with Asperger's, but I'm certain I do have it. I have arranged to speak to a professional about it in the near future.

So far I've managed to speak to others online, who seem to relate a little too well to my stories, and I to theirs. I have even attempted a few unofficial tests, with positive results. While I'm aware that these are not true diagnostic tools, so far everything I have read about Asperger’s, and all the signs I've noticed in my own life (especially as a child), have made it seem almost impossible for me to not have Asperger’s.

While I've suspected this for quite a few years now, it's only been recently that I have been more open to the idea of accepting the possibility. I've attempted to approach close friends and family about it; while some have been supportive, I'm finding others have accused me of making it up. In my mind speaking to a professional is more about confirmation, than anything else, as I feel I have come to terms with it by now. In saying that, I would like to open my doors to others who can relate, and would love to meet and speak with anyone who would have and accept me.

Hart

babybird
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 8:06 am

Hello and welcome to WP :D

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2013, 8:12 am

thanks, good to be here :)

WitchsCat
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 10:23 am

Nice to meet you! Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2013, 11:59 am

Fisplen
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 12:40 pm

Hello and welcome to the undiscovered planet that is Wrong Planet!

I was diagnosed around the age of 5, although many members have found out about there condition way later in life like You, I think You'll find comfort in knowing many people here can relate to You.

cathylynn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Dec 2013, 12:42 pm

from one writer to another, Hi.

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

22 Dec 2013, 2:35 pm

Hi Fisplen and cathylynn

Thanks for stopping by and saying hi :D

I have actually found it strange how much I can relate to others with Aspergers. I had always thought that my odd behaviours were rather erratic, and unique. Most of these posts are like reading diary entries, that others have written on my behalf.

Nice to meet another writer by the way cathylynn. What type of writing do you do?

LucianGuy
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

31 Dec 2013, 1:02 am

Speaking to a professional is definitely the way to go. You sound like a very articulate and self-aware person, and the tools a therapist will equip you with will allow you to make huge strides.

As to those who accuse you of "making it up": any friend or family member like that isn't worth having in your life.

salamandaqwerty
Veteran
Veteran

01 Jan 2014, 3:51 am

welcome :D

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2014, 9:32 am

LucianGuy wrote:
Speaking to a professional is definitely the way to go. You sound like a very articulate and self-aware person, and the tools a therapist will equip you with will allow you to make huge strides.

As to those who accuse you of "making it up": any friend or family member like that isn't worth having in your life.

Thanks Lucian :D

Thanks for noticing. I'm definitely looking forward to finding out for sure. I think it will help give me piece of mind.

"If you're not actively involved in getting what you want, you don't really want it."
- Peter MC Williams

Hart
Toucan
Toucan

01 Jan 2014, 9:34 am

salamandaqwerty wrote:
welcome :D

Thanks Salaman :D

"If you're not actively involved in getting what you want, you don't really want it."
- Peter MC Williams