Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Flanker_30SM
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 May 2018, 9:47 am

Good morning, evening or whatever time it might be to everyone here.

I have registered on this site because my son has been diagnosed with Asperger's syndrome a couple years ago, and I wanted to exchange with other people like him and other parents on this topic. He is 19, is studying political science, and has a decent social life now compared to when he was younger, not exchanging with anyone but through the Internet, and blaming himself for everything.
Now he still has issues in university and in his social life, but it has still become much better than it used to be ; for example, he is among the best of his group in terms of grades and found himself a girlfriend, who is autistic as well, although I don't know the exact details of her diagnostic.
So, I wanted to see what I could do to help him further in life so that he could overcome - or circumvent - some issues and make the best out of his strengths.

As for me, I work in insurance. I am in my forties, and we all live in Brussels.

I hope we will be able to help each other!

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 11:47 am

Welcome to Wrong Planet. I think you will find other aspie parents here, some aspie themselves too. There is a subforum exclusively devoted to parents that you might find helpful as well.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

27 May 2018, 3:58 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

Michael Bone
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 May 2018, 1:22 pm

From personal experience the best advice I can give is to tell him he's not "broken", he probably feels like the world is against him or that he is flawed/inferior. Being different is ok and should be celebrated, for greater hardship builds greater character. In fact, just showing him this site might help him a lot. Also having him understand autism and working with him on it and being supportive is very important. I wouldn't be alive if my parents weren't so supportive of me and understanding. I'm reading a good book called "Living Well on the Spectrum" by Valerie L. Gaus which is basically "aspergers for dumbies" and helps a lot with learning about both people on the Autistic Spectrum and Neurotypicals ("Normal" People)

Dylanperr
Veteran
Veteran

31 May 2018, 1:58 am

Hi