Page 1 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

24 Jul 2007, 2:00 pm

Ok, so I've been here more that a week and have not started a topic of my own. Time to break the ice...

I've noticed some extremely cool avatars here and was wondering if people would like to share what their avatar is and what it means to them. I'm not a gamer (thus seemingly making me a freak on WP) so I may need some "dumbing down".

I'll start: what you see is a pangolin. No, it's not mythological. It's a scale covered ant-eater that lives in Africa and Asia. If you like reptiles and mammals, then the pangolin is your guy! It's a gentle creature with a tough outer shell... somewhat like me. I also like to eat ants...

UnrelentingHorror
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

24 Jul 2007, 2:08 pm

yeah mine is a monster called a marloboro from the final fantasy series set up on a cigarette label as a sort of play on words.
It's also the only image I had that was within the given avatar parameters and I'm too lazy(read computer ignorant) to adjust my other pictures lol.

Pugly
Veteran
Veteran

24 Jul 2007, 3:19 pm

I found... or stole... my avatar from some Japanese company's webpage.

My nickname among friends (and online username) is Pugly... and this was a GIF that already had the name Pugly on it. So I had to take it and use it as my own.

It displays my personality in an abstract sense, is mildly colorful and blends in with any forum background.

I have all the avatar I'll ever need.

Wanting more than what I have might appear as greed.

EatingPoetry
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

24 Jul 2007, 3:23 pm

Quirk wrote:
I also like to eat ants...

Ba ha! That made me chuckle! :lol:

I always wanted to be a cowboy when I was little. Even wore my cowboy boots to bed as a child. The picture's of a real actor...I should look up his name again....

richie
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

24 Jul 2007, 6:12 pm

I got mine from a Wiki-Pedia article about the artist Carl Spitzweg.
The Painting is called "The Book-worm"

opal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 6:13 am

I like your avatar, Richie.

Mine is just an abstract picture of the bottom of a woman's face, as I sometimes feel uncomfortable looking at eyes I thought it was appropriate. I might get bored with it sometime in future.

I chose my name because opals, in Australia, are dug out of holes in the ground in really inhospitable regions. However they are worth the trouble as you will find they can be quite beautiful in the right light. They also sparkle with all the colours of the spectrum. :lol:

UnrelentingHorror
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

25 Jul 2007, 6:27 am

opal wrote:
I like your avatar, Richie.

Mine is just an abstract picture of the bottom of a woman's face, as I sometimes feel uncomfortable looking at eyes I thought it was appropriate. I might get bored with it sometime in future.

I chose my name because opals, in Australia, are dug out of holes in the ground in really inhospitable regions. However they are worth the trouble as you will find they can be quite beautiful in the right light. They also sparkle with all the colours of the spectrum. :lol:

Hello Opals!
Its almost 5am where I am so I'm feelin abit lazy as far as finding your welcome thread if you have one, so welcome to WP! I've hardly been here long myself but so far the people are good.

I like your avatar, I know i'm gonna get sick of mine. As soon as I figure out how to shrink down pictures I'll probably have a new one. :lol:

opal
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 6:34 am

Thanks UH. I have a hello thread . It says something obvious and literal like "Hi I'm new"

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 6:42 am

My avatar....
I'm an avid EC and MAD collector, I have at lease one copy of every issue printed.
I choose this issue for 2 reasons.
1. when i renewed my subscription to MAD classics, I got an old file (uncirculated, mint perfect) copy of this issue.
2. Guess which finger I recently broke?

Hendikins
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

25 Jul 2007, 10:29 am

Quirk wrote:
I've noticed some extremely cool avatars here and was wondering if people would like to share what their avatar is and what it means to them.

Whilst I doubt my avatar falls in to the "extremely cool" category, I'll explain it anyway.

What is it? It's a Hendikins!

It is the artwork of my furry character that was done for a recent meet, shrunk to avatar size. Won't write an essay on just where said character fits in to the picture :)

Quirk wrote:
I'm not a gamer (thus seemingly making me a freak on WP) so I may need some "dumbing down".

I don't game either, is that odd?

Quirk
Snowy Owl
Snowy Owl

25 Jul 2007, 11:00 am

I just noticed that there are a lot of gamers here. I see a lot of avatars that are clearly from video games/RPGs. If it's not Pac-man or Galaxian (or maybe Sonic the Hedgehog), I'm at a loss. Did I just date myself there?

Woman
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2007, 11:33 am

Quirk wrote:
I'm not a gamer (thus seemingly making me a freak on WP) so I may need some "dumbing down".

I'm not a gamer either :?
However, I do love the avatars everyone has on WP. I'm also very envious!! ! :cry:
Does anyone have the patience to explain how I can find an avatar and paste it up on WP, too? :oops:

MADDuck
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 12:06 pm

Woman wrote:
Quirk wrote:

I'm not a gamer either :?
However, I do love the avatars everyone has on WP. I'm also very envious!! ! :cry:
Does anyone have the patience to explain how I can find an avatar and paste it up on WP, too? :oops:

No problem!!
I did a full page scan of this issue of MAD, loaded it into Preview on OSX and resized it there. I then used snap-n-drag to copy and rename it, and uploaded it here.

I know it's the long way around, but it works great for me!!

JerryHatake
Veteran
Veteran

25 Jul 2007, 1:17 pm

Well mines is HP cuz i like his character and I can related to him like other characters I can related to. :lol: :) :oops: :)

Woman
Raven
Raven

25 Jul 2007, 2:19 pm

Thank you for the tip, MADDuck! :wink:

cosmiccat
Supporting Member
Supporting Member

25 Jul 2007, 2:42 pm

My current avatar is a painting called "Olivia" by Dante Gabriel Rossetti. I like Rossetti. His work, at least what I see in his work, is purity. And strength. And his colors are fantastic. Olivia is in the Victorian garb of a woman in mourning.