diagnosed at 62. i know it's not a record, but it's

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

doubledj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2018, 1:48 pm

pathetic. i'm in the process of trying to figure out how being diagnosed asd (in san francisco) -- well, how that condition has played out in my life. i've heard asperger-types can have a really hard time in life, some of us, although all the TED talks covering aspies(?) shows them doing amazing feats of -- you name it. i don't have those skills. i'm not working, struggled in college (mainly socially, which, after all, defines college, more or less), have struggled in relationships, am going to an asd group.

sorry to sound so pessimistic. i could say it is what it is, but i've never for the life of me understood that expression --- oh, and i doubt anyone who says it knows what it means either. it just seems to be some 'thing' people say.

it ain't what it is

studentM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2018, 1:59 pm

Better late than never. :mrgreen:

I'm 51 and looking into local clinics to be evaluated.

Welcome.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 May 2018, 4:27 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

grahambaster
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

30 May 2018, 4:54 pm

Hi doubledj ~ I was diagnosed a few years ago and I'm 52. Today I washed my sheets, bought some groceries and went to a soup kitchen and enquired about volunteering to wash dishes and they weren't super nice. I told a story about a few days ago coming upon a duck mom whose ducklings were trapped in the sewer and I didn't save them and people got upset!

W e l c o m e ! :D

doubledj
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

30 May 2018, 10:31 pm

thank you, everyone...!

re: soup kitchen, sorry they weren't very nice. i've done some volunteering. i guess i'd advise: you're lucky. you found out that (probably) isn't the right spot for you. try somewhere else. i served lunch, washed dishes, at a very nice senior place. i did that for about 3 years. it was nice to be part of a team.

i don't know what to make of my diagnosis. i've read neurotribes. that was helpful. unfortunately, i seem to not only dislike being around people, but dislike people.... i volunteer now working with kids. that's pretty fun, and i've been doing that for over three years.