Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

CloudArgonaut
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2018, 5:06 am

Hi all, I'm new in the world of aspies. 33 yo guy from Europe, I don't have an official diagnose, but my mother (a mental healthcare professional) just recently confessed she didn't want to tell me my whole life I am an aspie and that's the reason she got into her profession. I just figured myself recently there must be a name for my weirdness and did some research and some tests, and I overall feel stupid it took me so long to figure it out. But it feels like a big relief now and it it feels like I found some missing puzzles explaining many things in my life, particularly why I experience meltdowns in some situations. I work as a freelance researcher and am about to start a PhD in history. Message me if you wanna chat, it would be good to talk to someone who is on the same wavelength as me about life.

LoneLoyalWolf
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 10:49 am

Welcome CloudArgonaut!

You can post a friend request here: Friendship Board - Age 19 Onwards

Hope you will enjoy the forum and make some good friends.

Good luck with your PhD.

isloth
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Aug 2018, 4:51 pm

Heya Argonaut!

Glad that you found some relief with this new information. Hope that helps you moving forward. I'm interested to know whether you think it would've changed any of your decisions if you knew beforehand. I'm a history student too, although nowhere near PhD yet. Don't feel stupid about it, there are stories of even psychologists not realizing autism in themselves for a long time, there can always be a huge blind spot in relation to oneself.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

03 Aug 2018, 10:03 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

CloudArgonaut
Butterfly
Butterfly

03 Aug 2018, 11:36 pm

Hi all, thanks for the nice welcome :)

isloth wrote:
I'm interested to know whether you think it would've changed any of your decisions if you knew beforehand.

It definitely would change some of my decisions, particularly regarding work. I spent the past 10 years trying to fit in at work places, ended up changing jobs every 1-2 years because I couldn't handle the open space offices, rules and procedures I found to be inefficient were a constant source of frustration and don't get me even started on the office small talk and gossips :D I kept changing jobs thinking I just need to find the right company, and if I knew, I would invest my energy into something else.

whatamievendoing
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 10:00 am

On my behalf, welcome to WP. c:

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

04 Aug 2018, 10:02 am

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!