What's up everyone? Finally decided to join this site

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

RenegadeWanderer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2022, 6:52 pm

Hey everyone my name is Ryan. I have (PDD-NOS) a mild form of autism that I was diagnosed with at around the age of 1 or 2(I can't remember) and found out about it in 6th grade(I think I was 12) by my Mom which definitely cleared things up and helped explain my introverted nature.

I came across this site a few years ago and lurked on it every now and then but wasn't sure about joining it since I didn't want to be reminded about my condition since I was trying hard to overcome it. Looking back, I kinda wish I joined years ago since I wouldn't have had to feel alienated by most people. I've decided to join this site to find a good cyber hangout spot where I won't feel like an outcast and to know more about myself and other folks of this community.

Here's a few things about myself. I'm a video game nerd and enjoy playing a ton of games(Both retro and modern games) and enjoy playing Pinball if ever come across a table. I'm a returning college student trying to get a technical certificate in Software Development and land a job in the IT Industry. Lately I've been starting to watch a few YouTube channels by others of the ND community. Some of my favorite ND YouTubers are : Max Derrat, Neurodivergent Rebel, and IndieAndy(R.I.P). There are a few others that I'm aware of such as, The Aspie World, Autmazing, and Autism From The Inside, but I really haven't checked them out that much so I don't have much of an opinion about them. If anybody has some other ND YouTube channels to recommend, feel free to share them and I'll take a look at them.

I would list more about myself. But to save space on this post and to avoid making it too long, I made a post on the questions about you section(Page 351) of the Getting to know each other Forum if anyone is interested in checking it out.

It's great to see that there are places on the Internet where people who don't fit in with society can gather and feel at ease.

Last edited by RenegadeWanderer on 28 Oct 2022, 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 8:01 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 8:04 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 10:46 pm

Hello.

The sky is up.

Welcome.

RenegadeWanderer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Oct 2022, 11:19 pm

lol Thanks

Also thank you Tim_Tex and jimmy m

HeroOfHyrule
Veteran
Veteran

28 Oct 2022, 11:59 pm

Welcome to WP!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 3:32 am

welcome! Glad you are here

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

29 Oct 2022, 10:49 am

Welcome to WP! I hope you find it to be a nice place to frequent.

Note: If you like IT it is a good career field. It is what I retired from.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 5:38 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

RenegadeWanderer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2022, 2:56 pm

Double Retired wrote:
Welcome to WP! I hope you find it to be a nice place to frequent.

Note: If you like IT it is a good career field. It is what I retired from.

Music to my ears. Good to know I'm on the right career path.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2022, 3:45 pm

It's the right career path if you like the work and are good at it. Even if you can just tolerate the work and are good at it.

Sometimes I did not enjoy work, but I did retire at 56. That I liked a lot!

I especially enjoyed the regrettably small number of years I was a DBA.

I ended up stranded in computer security for the last 20 years of working. I did not enjoy that at all but I was good at the paperwork (it was government contracts...the government secures computers with paperwork).

RenegadeWanderer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

31 Oct 2022, 7:59 pm

Double Retired wrote:
It's the right career path if you like the work and are good at it. Even if you can just tolerate the work and are good at it.

Sometimes I did not enjoy work, but I did retire at 56. That I liked a lot!

I especially enjoyed the regrettably small number of years I was a DBA.

I ended up stranded in computer security for the last 20 years of working. I did not enjoy that at all but I was good at the paperwork (it was government contracts...the government secures computers with paperwork).

Yeah the IT industry is flourishing with technology being everywhere now so there are opportunities.

That's awesome to hear that you were able to retire at that age!

I imagine that the work depending on what you do isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but compared to the jobs I've been doing, this would be more of my kind of thing. Plus if it helps pay the bills and all, then that's even better.

Pretty much my plan is getting through my community college classes, getting whatever certificates and degrees that I'm able to get, and hopefully I can get into a good job that will sustain me for life. Thank's for sharing your experience.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 10:23 am

RenegadeWanderer wrote:
That's awesome to hear that you were able to retire at that age!
I was good at living beneath my means...and, thanks to IT, I had comfortable means to live beneath. Also see Warren Buffet's advice on the topic...um, he did better than I did...and wasn't in IT.

RenegadeWanderer wrote:
I imagine that the work depending on what you do isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but compared to the jobs I've been doing, this would be more of my kind of thing. Plus if it helps pay the bills and all, then that's even better.
I can identify the three most common sources of unhappiness at work for me:

1. On government contracts the contractors have to keep their bids as low as possible to improve their chances of winning the contract. Which means a shortage of resources (for instance, hours and weeks on the schedule), which translates to a lot of pressure on the employees. And long hours.

2. Unreasonable or incompetent customer contacts. But, they are the customer, so you're stuck with them.

3. Unreasonable or incompetent management. But, you work for them, so you're stuck with them.

RenegadeWanderer wrote:
Pretty much my plan is getting through my community college classes, getting whatever certificates and degrees that I'm able to get, and hopefully I can get into a good job that will sustain me for life.
Many of the better-paying employers will want to see a B.S. in something relevant to the work (any relevant diploma is better than no relevant diploma, of course). Appropriate certificates can then distinguish you from the folk who just have a degree.

Good luck!

RenegadeWanderer
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

01 Nov 2022, 9:49 pm

Double Retired wrote:
I was good at living beneath my means...and, thanks to IT, I had comfortable means to live beneath. Also see Warren Buffet's advice on the topic...um, he did better than I did...and wasn't in IT.

That's something I'll definitely take into consideration.

Double Retired wrote:
1. On government contracts the contractors have to keep their bids as low as possible to improve their chances of winning the contract. Which means a shortage of resources (for instance, hours and weeks on the schedule), which translates to a lot of pressure on the employees. And long hours.

2. Unreasonable or incompetent customer contacts. But, they are the customer, so you're stuck with them.

3. Unreasonable or incompetent management. But, you work for them, so you're stuck with them.

Yeah it sounds pretty bad when you have to deal with demanding managers and customers as well as resource issues.
There's also this apparently: https://rollbar.com/blog/10-developer-h ... at-night/#

Double Retired wrote:
Many of the better-paying employers will want to see a B.S. in something relevant to the work (any relevant diploma is better than no relevant diploma, of course). Appropriate certificates can then distinguish you from the folk who just have a degree.

I 've also noticed this on quite a few hiring websites. I plan on finishing my current technical certificate program, and then carefully plan my next move. As long as I've got the right certificates/degrees, hopefully more opportunities will open up.

Double Retired wrote:
Good luck!

Thank you! Earning a certificate and a degree isn't always easy, but I'll make it happen. Whatever it takes. Thank you for sharing this. This will help down the road.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 12:45 pm

RenegadeWanderer wrote:
Thank you! Earning a certificate and a degree isn't always easy, but I'll make it happen. Whatever it takes.
It's an investment. As long as nothing horrible happens, it could be an investment that pays off.

Good Luck!

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 12:48 pm

Willkommen :mrgreen: